Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuation

Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuation

Postby oneh2obabe » Feb 9th, 2019, 2:18 am

It was a tearful scene Friday at a Sechelt, B.C., subdivision, where residents packed their belongings amid falling snow, moving — for now — out of what they thought were their long-term homes.

The scene unfolded at the Seawatch development, where 14 families have been placed under an evacuation alert due to persistent and dangerous sinkholes.

The road to the area, where a number of the homes are assessed at over $1 million, has been blocked off with concrete barriers since last month.

Balance of article w/video
https://globalnews.ca/news/4942589/sech ... ion-alert/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 63621
Likes: 1060 posts
Liked in: 7817 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:19 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby TreeGuy » Feb 9th, 2019, 6:55 am

People just aren’t smart. Why do we build where we shouldn’t build?

Build a house at lake level with a basement below lake level and you are surprised and upset when it floods.

Build a house on property that backs onto a forest and you are surprised and upset when it burns down.

They have known about the sinkholes for a decade or more. Were these homeowners duped into this or did they choose to ignore the warnings?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3432
Likes: 1994 posts
Liked in: 3652 posts
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm
Location: Westbank

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Hurtlander » Feb 9th, 2019, 8:06 am

TreeGuy wrote:People just aren’t smart. Why do we build where we shouldn’t build?

Build a house at lake level with a basement below lake level and you are surprised and upset when it floods.

Build a house on property that backs onto a forest and you are surprised and upset when it burns down.

They have known about the sinkholes for a decade or more. Were these homeowners duped into this or did they choose to ignore the warnings?

I wouldn’t just question the logic of people wanting to build there, why were people even issued building permits for that location if there was a known sinkhole problem ?

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Guru
 
Posts: 7679
Likes: 2520 posts
Liked in: 6273 posts
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Rider59 » Feb 9th, 2019, 8:18 am

Hurtlander wrote:
TreeGuy wrote:People just aren’t smart. Why do we build where we shouldn’t build?

Build a house at lake level with a basement below lake level and you are surprised and upset when it floods.

Build a house on property that backs onto a forest and you are surprised and upset when it burns down.

They have known about the sinkholes for a decade or more. Were these homeowners duped into this or did they choose to ignore the warnings?

I wouldn’t just question the logic of people wanting to build there, why were people even issued building permits for that location if there was a known sinkhole problem ?



Because some geotechnical engineering signed off on it.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
User avatar
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 847
Likes: 1310 posts
Liked in: 765 posts
Joined: Aug 17th, 2016, 10:02 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Cactusflower » Feb 9th, 2019, 12:05 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 9th, 2019, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4849
Likes: 2394 posts
Liked in: 1006 posts
Joined: Aug 27th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 9th, 2019, 1:40 pm

TreeGuy wrote:People just aren’t smart. Why do we build where we shouldn’t build?

Build a house at lake level with a basement below lake level and you are surprised and upset when it floods.

Build a house on property that backs onto a forest and you are surprised and upset when it burns down.

They have known about the sinkholes for a decade or more. Were these homeowners duped into this or did they choose to ignore the warnings?


In my opinion the blame here falls squarely on the shoulders of local government. Knowing the geotechnical report, identified an issue that should have sent up all manner of red flags, they still issued building permits regardless.

The buck should have stopped right there, but for some reason didn't.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5461
Likes: 5730 posts
Liked in: 7818 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby LTD » Feb 9th, 2019, 2:09 pm

at least the one guy has the guts not to leave until someone is held responsible
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4700
Likes: 3310 posts
Liked in: 3817 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby bob vernon » Feb 11th, 2019, 8:18 am

Geotechnical approvals are a huge scam. We had a subdivision in the north Okanagan that got approved. The geotechnical testing was done in August, but there was a spring that percolated up only during April to June during runoff when a lake on the hill above the subdivision was full. We pointed this out to the geotechnical people on site, and to the Regional District. The subdivision was approved and houses built. The houses built near that spring have enormous cracks in the foundations with occasional water. Try reselling a house like that.

4 people like this post.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2737
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 1575 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Piecemaker » Feb 14th, 2019, 4:04 pm

More residents needing to leave their homes in Sechelt.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249336
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
User avatar
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11834
Likes: 2662 posts
Liked in: 1895 posts
Joined: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:43 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby oneh2obabe » Feb 17th, 2019, 7:49 am

Let the games begin ...

"The 14 houses that have been evacuated, they're suffering a large economic loss as far as the property is concerned, and they may be economically ruined," said Jay Straith, a lawyer who litigated a high-profile North Vancouver landslide case dating back to 2005.

It's possible legal recourse is the only hope the residents have, but it's a long expensive journey to find justice in the courts for a case like this.

"It's going to take — a good guess is — three to five years of litigation to get this thing sorted out," said Straith, adding that legal fees will likely run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Straith said the list of people to sue is long, and anyone who gets caught up in the case would be expected to sue someone else.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5022414
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

normaM likes this post.
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
 
Posts: 63621
Likes: 1060 posts
Liked in: 7817 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 9:19 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 17th, 2019, 12:02 pm

^^ Only winners here are the lawyers.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5461
Likes: 5730 posts
Liked in: 7818 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby motokelowna1 » Feb 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm

bob vernon wrote:Geotechnical approvals are a huge scam. We had a subdivision in the north Okanagan that got approved. The geotechnical testing was done in August, but there was a spring that percolated up only during April to June during runoff when a lake on the hill above the subdivision was full. We pointed this out to the geotechnical people on site, and to the Regional District. The subdivision was approved and houses built. The houses built near that spring have enormous cracks in the foundations with occasional water. Try reselling a house like that.


There should more accountability from builders so called Geo guys and councils for allowing builds. They should have a fund (insurance ) for this and all owners who take the chance should be made aware off.
motokelowna1
Board Meister
 
Posts: 360
Likes: 76 posts
Liked in: 237 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2012, 8:18 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby dontrump » Feb 17th, 2019, 6:19 pm

The city knew that there were problems but they gave them a permit to subdivide and build? why?

motokelowna1 likes this post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2258
Likes: 516 posts
Liked in: 739 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 11:39 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby motokelowna1 » Feb 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

dontrump wrote:The city knew that there were problems but they gave them a permit to subdivide and build? why?



GREED

Queen K likes this post.
motokelowna1
Board Meister
 
Posts: 360
Likes: 76 posts
Liked in: 237 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2012, 8:18 am

Re: Sechelt residents pack up amid sinkhole-driven evacuatio

Postby Snman » Feb 17th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Pack up and move, tough luck.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod
 
Posts: 1217
Likes: 1421 posts
Liked in: 984 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 6:27 am

Next

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], dogspoiler and 3 guests