BC Budget 2019

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

BC Budget 2019

Post by Urbane »

On the positive side the budget is balanced. Carole James has increased spending but not to the degree that some radicals in her party were pushing for. On the negative side our debt is expected to rise about $15.5 billion over the next three years. I'll be interested to hear from some NDPers on here, those who were critical of the Liberals for increasing the debt, as to how they feel about the debt increases from this government.
Cactusflower
Banned

Re: BC Budget 2019

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:On the positive side the budget is balanced. Carole James has increased spending but not to the degree that some radicals in her party were pushing for. On the negative side our debt is expected to rise about $15.5 billion over the next three years. I'll be interested to hear from some NDPers on here, those who were critical of the Liberals for increasing the debt, as to how they feel about the debt increases from this government.

It costs money to straighten out 16 years of government mismanagement. (That's the nicest way I can put it.)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Cactusflower wrote:
It costs money to straighten out 16 years of government mismanagement. (That's the nicest way I can put it.)

The NDP were only in power from 1991 to 2001. Math - so hard for leftists.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I agree Urb, the net debt is rising awfully fast. The younger you are, the more you should be concerned about that. I am OK with investment debt, such as building site C, which will provide an ROI. Of more concern are projects that will not provide any return.

The BC NDP shot themselves and us in the foot on the bridge toll issue. So now they have our net debt rising at an exceptionally high rate.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-bc-budget-includes-no-new-taxes-relies-on-rebound-in-housing-market/

"The British Columbia budget tabled Tuesday is forecasting that the real estate correction that drove down sales and prices in 2018 is over, and that property tax revenues will rise this year to help fund new benefits for families and students, climate action programs, and revenue sharing with Indigenous communities.

The balanced fiscal plan introduced by Finance Minister Carole James includes no new taxes, but anticipates government revenues will rise by $2.4-billion, with some of the largest increases provided by the rising carbon tax, and growing revenue from property taxes."

Yup, the "speculation" tax etc. is total nonsense, and the BC NDP knew that going in, they simply went after most families largest investment - their homes - to steal $$$. And whoopeee! after whining and sniveling about carbon tax neutrality, the BC NDP wrecked the carbon tax and made it just one more gasoline tax grab.

The BC NDP are sucking the life out of the rest of the province to pay for their pet projects in the bottomless pit of the Victoria-Vancouver complex.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/249650 ... l-spending

Record capital spending, no surprise. The bulk being spent on the lower mainland and on the tree hugging island. Again, no surprise. Seismic upgrading in schools? Sounds like a lot of wasteful union contracts where you pay double, takes twice as much time to complete, and see no increase in quality. None. No surprise.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

nothing surprising from letnicks response. blah blah blah nothing for what us liberals want. blah blah blah money for schools which is terrible but what about my hometown school i did nothing for. blah blah blah no investing in what we would for the economy and taxes BAD! so typical it was actually funny.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Well I'll give you one thing, where blah blah blah is concerned, you are an expert!

At least Norm Letnick has a clue, whereas you couldn't buy one, yet have the nerve to criticize Norm. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

burnedatstake wrote:nothing surprising from letnicks response. blah blah blah nothing for what us liberals want. blah blah blah money for schools which is terrible but what about my hometown school i did nothing for. blah blah blah no investing in what we would for the economy and taxes BAD! so typical it was actually funny.

Typical Leninist circle tax supporter commentary, Oddly enough blah blah blah in Russian sounds exactly the same, but it is spelled "вздор вздор вздор".......Comrade
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

does the mccarthyism crap still work? labeling people a comrade? how 1950's of you. you better watch it. the russians will help trudeau win again.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I started this thread and titled it "BC Budget 2019." How do people feel about the contents of the budget? The fact that it's balanced but that over the next three years our debt will increase by about $15.5 billion?
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

Urbane wrote:I started this thread and titled it "BC Budget 2019." How do people feel about the contents of the budget? The fact that it's balanced but that over the next three years our debt will increase by about $15.5 billion?

i think its a brilliant masterpiece. the ndp are well on their way showing financial aptitude to knee cap any fantasies of propaganda the liberals will try to spew about fiscal prowess and win the next election handily!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The trolls will continue trolling but I do hope that others comment on the actual budget.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Regardless of which government it's a normal budget. Some stuff is to my benefit. Some is not. Some money will probably go where I would prefer it not to. Some will go to where others don't.

Interesting no free renter money per promises, but that's not my idea of how it should be spent, so it's ok to me.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:I started this thread and titled it "BC Budget 2019." How do people feel about the contents of the budget? The fact that it's balanced but that over the next three years our debt will increase by about $15.5 billion?

My concern is that their projections are overly optimistic, given that the NDP's very presence makes BC investment a non starter for many.

Many businesses are just now beginning to feel the impact of NDP policies, and it's still too soon to know how things will shake out.

From my observations, there's already a significant downward trend in the construction industry. A downward trend there means a downward trend in other areas as well.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “B.C.”