BC Budget 2019

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Budget 2019

Post by Urbane »

Discussions are ongoing and I suspect that Carole James will backtrack on her decision, but for now search and rescue groups have been cut out of the BC budget. Strange place to make a cut!

Although search and rescue groups can be the difference between life and death for those who end up relying on them in the backcountry, they’re facing an uncertain future as the government didn’t announce any money for them in the latest provincial budget.

The B.C. Search and Rescue Association had been hoping for $6 million from the province.

“Six million dollars, given that there’s a surplus, we feel is very reasonable,” Chris Mushumanski, a spokesperson for B.C. Search and Rescue Association, said.
Full article: https://globalnews.ca/news/4991051/no-f ... nd-rescue/
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

^^^ That's not how I read the situation. Off the top of my head, funding is still there through EMBC on an incident callout basis, and the provincial tax credit introduced in the 2017 budget is still there for the volunteers. The money that's still in the "discussion stage" has been in the discussion stage since early 2013.

The BC lib's did a one time grant of 10 mil in 2015 and the BC NDP did a similar grant of 5 mil in the 2018 budget.

When asked about the absence of SAR funding in the budget, Finance Minister Carole James said the NDP's plan for SAR is still under discussion.
"[It's] certainly on the radar of the minister and those discussions, I know, will continue, to make sure we can provide support for the incredible volunteers and the incredible organizations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5026895
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ Maybe you're right DT but those who are directly involved see it differently:

Nathan Brigden, Manager with Nicola Valley Search and Rescue spoke to Q101 about what the cuts will mean to the team.

“It will definitely affect us,” began Brigden. “Because we're all volunteers, if there's no more funding, we’re going to have to take some time out of our search and rescue training to raise some more money so we can continue to do what we do.”

The previous funding was used for training, bringing in instructors and even buying new equipment and gear that they needed.

Along with the hit locally Brigden spoke about a pair of programs provincially that will take a hit.

“The money helps to support a couple of different programs. “Adventure Smart” which is a public awareness program on back country safety”, said Brigden. “Also, the Provincial SAR Association has a good critical incidents trust management program, which help us look after each other after we’ve been through stressful situations. The lack of funding will affect those programs.”
Full article: http://q101.ca/news/13139-no-provincial ... scue-teams
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Hey, don't get me wrong, I like my arcteryx gear just as much as the next guy, but the funding model for BC SAR has been in discussion stage since at least 2013, if not longer.

Here's the archive page for BCSARA's funding discussions.

https://www.bcsara.com/tag/funding/

I don't get the impression that Carole James has ruled out the funding and I have no doubt various spokespersons are voicing disappointment that it wasn't there. All I'm pointing out is that its been a work in progress for a number of years now. It's not like they received a cut to their funding.

It is that they didn't get the grant they had hoped for.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/publi ... rescue.pdf

Here's an example of how some of the $9 million in EMBC funding SAR groups do get, is disbursed on a call out basis.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/publi ... n_2019.pdf
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Mar 3rd, 2019, 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Drip_Torch wrote:Hey, don't get me wrong, I like my arcteryx gear just as much as the next guy, but the funding model for BC SAR has been in discussion stage since at least 2013, if not longer.

I don't get the impression that Carole James has ruled out the funding and I have no doubt various spokespersons are voicing disappointment that it wasn't there. All I'm pointing out is that its been a work in progress for a number of years now. It's not like they received a cut to their funding.

I said earlier that I thought that Carole James would backtrack and restore the funding so I certainly agree that she hasn't ruled out the funding. We're kind of playing semantics here though. If there's been a grant for the past three years and then that grant isn't provided one can claim that it wasn't a cut, just that the grant wasn't provided, but if you're expecting the money then it looks like a cut, feels like a cut, sounds like a cut, and by golly it's a cut!
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Urbane wrote:Discussions are ongoing and I suspect that Carole James will backtrack on her decision, but for now search and rescue groups have been cut out of the BC budget. Strange place to make a cut!

My point is 9 million in operational funding is not - "cut out of the BC budget" You get that - right? Your local SAR volunteer isn't being asked to run down to the airport and fill up helicopter with his visa card.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Drip_Torch wrote:My point is 9 million in operational funding is not - "cut out of the BC budget" You get that - right? Your local SAR volunteer isn't being asked to run down to the airport and fill up helicopter with his visa card.
Of course there's still money there for fuel et al but if you look at what the grant money was being used for you might conclude that it was money well spent. Or maybe you won't but I find it a strange place to cut.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

A little note that you seem to be overlooking regarding last years 5 million dollar grant:

Continuity in funding allows us to plan ahead for the next 2 years, lifting some of the pressures from the volunteers. From Atlin to Sparwood, Fort Nelson to Campbell River, Golden to Coquitlam, SAR groups are able to move major projects ahead and fill gaps in equipment and training.”

Some additional points:

The majority of the $5 million will be disbursed to GSAR groups at the start of fiscal year 2018-19, using the same process currently underway this year.

Funding for provincial initiatives such as the Critical Incident Stress Management program and will continue.

We do not anticipate any major changes to the criteria for use of the funding from this year.

This funding is in addition to that from other sources, not to replace any current funding.

This additional funding provides the opportunity for longer term planning, as we continue to work with the Province on the Alternative Support Model.

So, I would argue nothing got cut, but the SAR groups didn't get a grant.

Perhaps, and this is bald speculation based on what the SAR groups wrote above and what Carole James has said in the media, the work with the Province on the Alternative Support Model is coming to a conclusion.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Drip_Torch wrote:
    So, I would argue nothing got cut, but the SAR groups didn't get a grant.

Perhaps, and this is bald speculation based on what the SAR groups wrote above and what Carole James has said in the media, the work with the Province on the Alternative Support Model is coming to a conclusion.
You say nothing got cut and yet SAR representatives are telling us exactly what's being cut if they don't get the grant restored. I hope it all gets sorted out and that the SAR groups are supported as they have been in recent years.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Urbane wrote:
    Drip_Torch wrote:Hey, don't get me wrong, I like my arcteryx gear just as much as the next guy, but the funding model for BC SAR has been in discussion stage since at least 2013, if not longer.

I said earlier that I thought that Carole James would backtrack and restore the funding so I certainly agree that she hasn't ruled out the funding. We're kind of playing semantics here though. If there's been a grant for the past three years and then that grant isn't provided one can claim that it wasn't a cut, just that the grant wasn't provided, but if you're expecting the money then it looks like a cut, feels like a cut, sounds like a cut, and by golly it's a cut!

Good news. Major announcement made and progress on a funding model that gives these groups something to budget around for years to come.

The entire Ground Search and Rescue community in British Columbia is delighted with the Province’s announcement of $18.6 million to fund the 80 recognized GSAR groups across BC. This will provide 3 years of stable funding to the 80 groups and begin to implement the BCSARA Alternative Support Model. This investment in search and rescue provides much needed predictable funding championed since 2013, and kick starts the proven and effective Alternative Support Model. This announcement compliments funding supports already in place from local government and other sources.

https://www.bcsara.com/2019/03/provinci ... ouncement/

Now when you tell me to "get lost" - at least I know the group that's going to find me is well funded and up to date with equipment and training. :up:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I don't understand why it was not a line item in the presented budget?? Oversight, incompetence or both??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Urbane wrote:On the positive side the budget is balanced. Carole James has increased spending but not to the degree that some radicals in her party were pushing for. On the negative side our debt is expected to rise about $15.5 billion over the next three years. I'll be interested to hear from some NDPers on here, those who were critical of the Liberals for increasing the debt, as to how they feel about the debt increases from this government.

These levels are about the same as under the Liberals. . "The province’s total debt has ballooned from $45.2 million in 2011 to $66.7 billion last year, an increase of $21 billion in only five years. "

I am just as interested in hearing how liberal/conservatives can still say they are the fiscally responsible ones.

BTW, the sky has not fallen under the NDP. Businesses have not fled in panic. Debt to gdp ration remains steady. More services for people. A more people friendly government.
Yes, the debt is still going up.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

butcher99 wrote:
Urbane wrote:On the positive side the budget is balanced. Carole James has increased spending but not to the degree that some radicals in her party were pushing for. On the negative side our debt is expected to rise about $15.5 billion over the next three years. I'll be interested to hear from some NDPers on here, those who were critical of the Liberals for increasing the debt, as to how they feel about the debt increases from this government.

These levels are about the same as under the Liberals. . "The province’s total debt has ballooned from $45.2 million in 2011 to $66.7 billion last year, an increase of $21 billion in only five years. "

I am just as interested in hearing how liberal/conservatives can still say they are the fiscally responsible ones.

BTW, the sky has not fallen under the NDP. Businesses have not fled in panic. Debt to gdp ration remains steady. More services for people. A more people friendly government.
Yes, the debt is still going up.

Yup, I see the BC NDP are dishing out "corporate welfare" today and the little green* man is upset.

Nope, NOT a more people friendly government at all. Gasoline taxes up, heating bills up, sin taxes up, property taxes up, property rights being eroded. ICBC rates jumping. Hydro rates going up. Jobs lost in the regions for the ALC, and all being transferred to a politburo in an NDP riding. Tax money being stolen to pay for the incompetently run and bankrupt BC NDP excuse for party.

And still no Uber... and still no $10/day daycare... and still more portable classrooms going in... and so on.

The only growing business is shoveling BC NDP manure!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

hobbyguy wrote:
Yup, I see the BC NDP are dishing out "corporate welfare" today and the little green* man is upset.

Nope, NOT a more people friendly government at all. Gasoline taxes up, heating bills up, sin taxes up, property taxes up, property rights being eroded. ICBC rates jumping. Hydro rates going up. Jobs lost in the regions for the ALC, and all being transferred to a politburo in an NDP riding. Tax money being stolen to pay for the incompetently run and bankrupt BC NDP excuse for party.

And still no Uber... and still no $10/day daycare... and still more portable classrooms going in... and so on.

The only growing business is shoveling BC NDP manure!

Well perhaps if the liberals(conservatives) had been better stewards none of that would have been necessary. But they had to rape and pillage both ICBC and BC Hydro to make you think they actually balanced the budget.
Why are ICBC rates going up? Liberals took all the money ICBC used in the past to level out rates. Why are BC Hydro rates going up? The Liberals (conservatives) gave companies ridiculous rates for run of the rivers and then started up an unneeded hydro project that is already years behind and many many many millions of dollars over budget and no end in sight. Why are schools still working out of portables? Maybe the Liberals (conservatives) did not plan ahead. Maybe spending millions upon millions defending their illegal breaking of a dually signed contract they could have put that money to use building schools. Maybe closing schools then having to build new ones to replace the closed ones was not the best plan.

The unemployment rate in BC continues to fall. Property taxes are not set by the NDP they are set by the municipalities. If you are referring to me as upset, sorry not at all. I see a province starting to look after people instead of accepting graft in exchange for political favors.
Whine and cry all you like about the NDP. Not one single misfortune has fallen on BC despite your pronouncement of doom and gloom and massive budget deficits and companies leaving bc and the GDP falling. NONE of that occured.
In fact, BC is in an economically improved position since they took office.
Unemployment down, gdp up new business growth expanding. Where is this doom and gloom you said was going to happen?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ educate yourself. The MSP charade has driven up property taxes from municipalities, and I fail to see how you can not consider the bs "speculation" taxes and all that associated garbage as not being property taxes, plus the extra school taxes on high value property etc.

The BC NDP do NOT believe in property rights or the rights of the prudent. They pander to the imprudent.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”