Daylight saving time. Rant away.

Re: Daylight saving time. Rant away.

Postby bob vernon » Mar 8th, 2019, 4:59 pm

With Daylight Saving time all year, we'll have kids waiting for the schoolbus in the dark in the winter. And the ones who live 3 km from the schools will be walking on the side of the road in the dark on roads with no sidewalks and snow piled up on the shoulder. Sounds reasonable.

With standard time all the soccer and softball players won't have as much time to play in the evening. Maybe we should stay with changing the clocks.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1542 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 8th, 2019, 5:07 pm

bob vernon wrote:With Daylight Saving time all year, we'll have kids waiting for the schoolbus in the dark in the winter. And the ones who live 3 km from the schools will be walking on the side of the road in the dark on roads with no sidewalks and snow piled up on the shoulder. Sounds reasonable.

Or do something completely out of the box and open our schools from 9 to 5. "9 to 5", I like the sound of that - it's got a real ring to it. That would fix things and there would be plenty of time to put down the sidewalks and get the snow off the shoulders and it wouldn't be dark while they were walking to school, instead of from school.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1165 posts

Postby Urbane » Mar 8th, 2019, 6:28 pm

So here's the question: If we're going to do away with the time switch (Count me in) do we go with Standard Time the whole year or Daylight Time?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 13057 posts

Postby Bsuds » Mar 8th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Urbane wrote:So here's the question: If we're going to do away with the time switch (Count me in) do we go with Standard Time the whole year or Daylight Time?

Why would it matter? As far as I'm concerned just leave the damned time alone!
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12984 posts

Postby GordonH » Mar 8th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Urbane wrote:So here's the question: If we're going to do away with the time switch (Count me in) do we go with Standard Time the whole year or Daylight Time?

impo go with DST
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 8th, 2019, 6:34 pm

While it pains me a little to say this, I'm with you (twice in one year) and MLA Larson. To heck with the farmers. The cows might even enjoy the extra hour off work during the winter months. Besides that damn clock on my Kenwood car stereo would be showing the right time all year.

DST me! Go ahead Horgan take that hour from me and never give it back. I'm good with that.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Urbane likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Postby GordonH » Mar 8th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Currently DST covers 238 (+/-1) days of the year, the other 127 (+/-1) is Standard Time.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Urbane » Mar 8th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Castanet poll:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#251124

I voted for DST but it looks like the majority, around here anyway, want PST the whole year. Very few people want the status quo. Time for a change and that change means no change anymore!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Mar 8th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Who really cares? Pick DST or PST and just stick with it. It does make sense that Horgan would encourage cooperation with Washington, Oregon and California so I find value in his initiative.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6855 posts

Postby Urbane » Mar 8th, 2019, 8:59 pm

This past November California voters opted for Daylight Saving Time the whole year. It'll be up to the State Legislature (and then I believe the US Congress) to perhaps make that change, but it seems doubtful that California would go with permanent Standard Time. Daylight Time as our permanent time makes sense to me but I'd like to hear from the majority on the Castanet poll who voted for Standard Time. What's your rationale?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » Mar 8th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Urbane wrote:This past November California voters opted for Daylight Saving Time the whole year. It'll be up to the State Legislature (and then I believe the US Congress) to perhaps make that change, but it seems doubtful that California would go with permanent Standard Time. Daylight Time as our permanent time makes sense to me but I'd like to hear from the majority on the Castanet poll who voted for Standard Time. What's your rationale?

Going with standard time is bizarre knowing majority of the year is actually DST (longer evenings in the summer time).

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I see both Washington state and Oregon have Senate Bills calling for an end to the switch and Washington is definitely favouring DST, if DST is not accepted they want to change to mountain standard time (dst under another name) Oregon has two bills, one leaning each way. Both states have advanced the bills to second reading.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to stick with PST? Seriously, report to work, for a day of lifting heavy things and breaking expensive stuff, four hours after the sun has come up on June 21? No thank you and if it happens business better budget for more expensive stuff.

Urbane likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Re: Daylight saving time whining about to begin again

Postby Jlabute » Mar 9th, 2019, 9:00 am

Bsuds wrote:I'm glad the time is going ahead next week. Then the damn dog will start bugging for her dinner at the right time and not an hour early.

I have a bird who wakes up earlier screaming for food and attention.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1744 posts

Re: Daylight saving time whining about to begin again

Postby Bsuds » Mar 9th, 2019, 9:53 am

Bsuds wrote:I'm glad the time is going ahead next week. Then the damn dog will start bugging for her dinner at the right time and not an hour early.
Jlabute wrote:
I have a bird who wakes up earlier screaming for food and attention.

I thought birds were more regulated by daylight which would mean (at least for awhile) it would wake up later?

Maybe use a thicker cover so it doesn't know when it's getting lighter out. :smt045
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12984 posts

Postby Jlabute » Mar 9th, 2019, 11:06 am

Yes right, once we spring ahead an hour I’ll be alright for a while. lol. I haven’t been putting a cover on his cage. Usually the living room in very dark until dawn. He hasn’t seemed to need a cage cover.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1744 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.