Daylight saving time. Rant away.

Iamme
Board Meister

Re: Daylight saving time. Rant away.

Post by Iamme »

GordonH wrote: Mar 10th, 2023, 5:33 pm Got to wonder if Premier Eby has been communicating with California, Oregon and Washington State, if they have actually decided follow suit.
If not then BC should go it alone and tell those 3 States to go :swear: themselves.
The answer to your question is around.57 seconds into this clip. Spoiler alert Eby’s not a leader.
https://twitter.com/globalbc/status/163 ... Au2f3zDOag
Bullying is not acceptable and cowardly. You know who you are.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote: Mar 10th, 2023, 5:48 pm
The problem is that the individual states don't have the authority to switch to permanent DST, it's federal. They indicated they want to but it's up to the federal government. In the last administration, California asking for anything fell on deaf Trump ears, if the Biden admin is going to do something would be nice if they'd pee or get off the pot.

Gotta love the US, each state can decide on the death penalty, abortion, but time change,,, nope.
My MIL lives in Arizona and there's no time change there...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote: Mar 10th, 2023, 11:35 pm My MIL lives in Arizona and there's no time change there...
You are not comparing apples to apples. Like I've already stated, the further south one lives the less problem the sunrise in the summer is.

On the longest day of the year in, for example Phoenix, standard time, the sun rises at 5:18 AM. (standard time in Kelowna the sun would rise at 3:48 AM)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This whole time change and reason behind it has come and gone. All the countries that still observe this stupidity will hopefully end it this year.
Those who have already ended this BS are the smart ones, the even smarter ones never started it in first place.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote: Mar 11th, 2023, 8:56 am
Glacier wrote: Mar 10th, 2023, 11:35 pm My MIL lives in Arizona and there's no time change there...
You are not comparing apples to apples. Like I've already stated, the further south one lives the less problem the sunrise in the summer is.

On the longest day of the year in, for example Phoenix, standard time, the sun rises at 5:18 AM. (standard time in Kelowna the sun would rise at 3:48 AM)
My point is that you can have the same time year round in the United States because some places do.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote: Mar 11th, 2023, 12:48 pm
my5cents wrote: Mar 11th, 2023, 8:56 am

My point is that you can have the same time year round in the United States because some places do.
.. and my point is that if one lives closer to the equator the desirability of advancing the time is reduced. If I live in Phoenix and IF the time is not altered during the summer, on the longest day of the year sunrise isn't that bad at 5:18 AM. If I live further north, for example, Kelowna on the longest day if we leave our clocks on standard time sunrise is at 3:48 AM.

IMO there's a false equivalency trying to make a point regarding not advancing clocks in BC by saying someone in Arizona doesn't.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

You claimed that states cannot determine the time change, but that's wrong.

I do agree that you less evening light in the southern US than you do in Canada. And more light in winter.
- Douglas Murray
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Glacier wrote: Mar 11th, 2023, 1:23 pm You claimed that states cannot determine the time change, but that's wrong.

I do agree that you less evening light in the southern US than you do in Canada. And more light in winter.
A state may determine to be on standard time all year. However, a state may not determine to be on daylight time all year.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I’d love to see the end of the clock changing but since BC is aligning with the Yukon and the western states I don’t see anything happening this year.

Except for changing the clocks.
Last edited by Fancy on Mar 11th, 2023, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote: Mar 11th, 2023, 1:23 pm You claimed that states cannot determine the time change, but that's wrong.

Permanent daylight saving time must be legislated by the US Senate. That's just a fact.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The U.S. Senate unanimously approved the Sunshine Protection Act, introduced by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), in March 2022, but it didn’t become law.

The legislation would have made daylight saving time the new, permanent standard time throughout the country starting on Nov. 5, 2023. That means we wouldn’t change our clocks, or “fall back,” in November and would have a full year of daylight saving time instead of only eight months.

A matching bill was introduced in the U.S. House, but it didn’t pass or make it to a vote before the 117th Congress officially ended on Jan. 3, 2023.

That means the legislation needs to be reintroduced during the current Congress in 2023.

Rubio announced on March 2 that he reintroduced the Sunshine Protection Act of 2023 for the 118th Congress. U.S. Rep. Vern Buchanan (R-Fla.) introduced companion legislation in the House.

But the bill would still need to pass both the Senate and House, and receive President Biden's signature, to become law.

Federal law doesn’t allow full-time daylight saving time, so Congress needs to act before states could implement it year-round, the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) explains. Federal law does allow state legislatures to exempt themselves from daylight saving time, meaning they stay in standard time for the full year.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think I read the Yukon is on permanent daylight savings time.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Kinda all relevant is this :
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/415108 ... k-on-roads

I see a simple solution - all; union workers should be able to report for duty on Monday morning ONE HOUR later than normal
it is a win win situation.. he employers has a wide awake staff,,, the workers are awoke, and the traffic is less ....
And hey beats a 4 day work week.. with monday off after time change... hehehe
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

At precisely 8:30 pm, as I write this, it is 9:30 pm in Fort St John, British Columbia. Next week if I were to write this at 8:30 pm, it would be 8:30 pm in Fort St John, British Columbia as well.

Okay, if the move to permanent Daylight Savings Time is such a difficult hurdle to overcome, how about we all just compromise and move to Mountain time?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Mar 11th, 2023, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Drip_Torch wrote: Mar 11th, 2023, 8:29 pm At precisely 8:30 pm, as I write this, it is 9:30 pm in Fort St John, British Columbia.

Okay, if the move to permanent Daylight Savings Time is such a difficult hurdle to overcome, how about we all just compromise and move to Mountain time?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As long as we stop springing ahead and falling back.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”