N.D.P. bring in a tax hike by stealth

Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

N.D.P. bring in a tax hike by stealth

Post by Pete Podoski »

Kris Sims: N.D.P. bring in a tax hike by stealth

Published:
March 27, 2019

British Columbian families will be forking out about $687 more to the government this year, so don’t let politicians tell you there are no new taxes.

During the budget presentation in Victoria, the NDP-Green government said we aren’t getting tax hikes this time around, delivering what many called a “nothing budget” — but that’s far from the case.

Don’t believe it? Let’s add up the bills and take a look at the total.

ICBC rates are going up this year by an average of $133 per driver for the basic rate. For a two-vehicle household, that’s an extra $266 per year. The government still hasn’t released its optional rate increase, which could be in the double digits. (The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has filed a freedom-of-information request to find out how much the optional rate increase will cost.)

{Snip}

The B.C. carbon tax is being jacked up again to $40 per tonne, translating to a hike of 9.8 cents per litre of gasoline, including the GST tacked on top of the tax. If you have a two-vehicle household with a Toyota Camry and Dodge Ram and you fill up once a week, this hike to the B.C. carbon tax is going to cost your family an extra $146 per year for commuting to work, dropping the kids off at school and driving to the grocery store.

Tax-hike subtotal: For insurance on our vehicles and the carbon taxes to fill them up, our bills are going up by $412 for the year.

If this family lives in Langley and they pay the Metro Vancouver TransLink tax on gasoline, which is being hiked another 1.5 cents per litre of gasoline, that means they will pay an extra $146 per year.

Tax-hike subtotal: $558 more per year thanks to this government, and we’re not even out of the car yet.

Average households will pay an extra $21.75 on their natural gas bills thanks to this carbon tax hike, so it will cost you more to heat your home and cook your meals.

Tax-hike subtotal for driving, heating and eating in B.C.: $579.75.

The carbon tax and ICBC aren’t the only tax and rate hikes this year. The Employer Health Tax, EHT, has kicked in, on top of the Medical Services Premium. Most job creators with a payroll of more than $500,000 per year need to pay this new tax. The City of Vancouver is jacking up property taxes by 4.5 per cent in 2019, with an average increase of $108 per year per household, largely because of the EHT also hitting municipalities.

For many employers in B.C., the EHT is a quadruple tax kick.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has spoken with small-business people who are getting hit hard. First, they already pay the MSP. Second, they are being forced to pay the new EHT. Third, since municipalities need to pay the EHT, that means the job creator’s business location is getting a property tax hike. And fourth, business owners also face a personal property tax hike on their homes. That’s getting taxed four ways from Sunday for the sin of employing people in this province.

All told, this year’s tax increases will cost your household an average of $687 more.

When provincial politicians tell you that they aren’t costing you more this year, do the math and hold on to your wallet, because their promise is as good as three-dollar bill.

https://theprovince.com/opinion/op-ed/k ... by-stealth
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: N.D.P. bring in a tax hike by stealth

Post by Glacier »

I wouldn't call the ICBC hike a tax hike per se, but I will give you rest of them. Worst of all, I don't like how they are double dipping with the MSP thing. I'm still paying MSP for another year while they are taxing my employer for MSP! Talk about double dipping!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:I wouldn't call the ICBC hike a tax hike per se, but I will give you rest of them. Worst of all, I don't like how they are double dipping with the MSP thing. I'm still paying MSP for another year while they are taxing my employer for MSP! Talk about double dipping!

Some might go so far as to call it theft. :smt045
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Thank you for the Post Pete. Keep the good information coming
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Glacier wrote:I wouldn't call the ICBC hike a tax hike per se, but I will give you rest of them. Worst of all, I don't like how they are double dipping with the MSP thing. I'm still paying MSP for another year while they are taxing my employer for MSP! Talk about double dipping!

Well, they are known as the "dippers."
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Pete Podoski wrote:Kris Sims: N.D.P. bring in a tax hike by stealth

Published:
March 27, 2019

British Columbian families will be forking out about $687 more to the government this year, so don’t let politicians tell you there are no new taxes.

During the budget presentation in Victoria, the NDP-Green government said we aren’t getting tax hikes this time around, delivering what many called a “nothing budget” — but that’s far from the case.

ICBC rates are going up this year by an average of $133 per driver for the basic rate. For a two-vehicle household, that’s an extra $266 per year. The government still hasn’t released its optional rate increase, which could be in the double digits. (The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has filed a freedom-of-information request to find out how much the optional rate increase will cost.)

{Snip}

The B.C. carbon tax is being jacked up again to $40 per tonne, translating to a hike of 9.8 cents per litre of gasoline, including the GST tacked on top of the tax. If you have a two-vehicle household with a Toyota Camry and Dodge Ram and you fill up once a week, this hike to the B.C. carbon tax is going to cost your family an extra $146 per year for commuting to work, dropping the kids off at school and driving to the grocery store.

Tax-hike subtotal: For insurance on our vehicles and the carbon taxes to fill them up, our bills are going up by $412 for the year.

If this family lives in Langley and they pay the Metro Vancouver TransLink tax on gasoline, which is being hiked another 1.5 cents per litre of gasoline, that means they will pay an extra $146 per year.

Tax-hike subtotal: $558 more per year thanks to this government, and we’re not even out of the car yet.

Average households will pay an extra $21.75 on their natural gas bills thanks to this carbon tax hike, so it will cost you more to heat your home and cook your meals.

Tax-hike subtotal for driving, heating and eating in B.C.: $579.75.

The carbon tax and ICBC aren’t the only tax and rate hikes this year. The Employer Health Tax, EHT, has kicked in, on top of the Medical Services Premium. Most job creators with a payroll of more than $500,000 per year need to pay this new tax. The City of Vancouver is jacking up property taxes by 4.5 per cent in 2019, with an average increase of $108 per year per household, largely because of the EHT also hitting municipalities.

For many employers in B.C., the EHT is a quadruple tax kick.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has spoken with small-business people who are getting hit hard. First, they already pay the MSP. Second, they are being forced to pay the new EHT. Third, since municipalities need to pay the EHT, that means the job creator’s business location is getting a property tax hike. And fourth, business owners also face a personal property tax hike on their homes. That’s getting taxed four ways from Sunday for the sin of employing people in this province.

All told, this year’s tax increases will cost your household an average of $687 more.

When provincial politicians tell you that they aren’t costing you more this year, do the math and hold on to your wallet, because their promise is as good as three-dollar bill.

https://theprovince.com/opinion/op-ed/k ... by-stealth

ICBC is not a tax. It is insurance. the money does not go anywhere near the government.
The employer health premium kicks in. Yes, but your medical premiums are cut in half and are to be cut again. Did you deduct the $1000 less a family pays in premiums? Even if your premiums are covered by your employer, you pay less income tax because those payments go right on top of your income.
Property tax goes to the municipality not the provincial government. Except for the school tax.
Carbon tax? Turn down the heat. Drive less.

Do the math? May I suggest you do the math. To start with you left $1000 savings off every family in BC. Then you add in ICBC. The ICBC problems caused by successive Liberal (cons) raping and pillaging ICBC.
DO the math sure, but use all the figures, not just the ones that support your argument.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Pete Podoski wrote:Kris Sims: N.D.P. bring in a tax hike by stealth

Published:
March 27, 2019

{Snip}

… and if you drive that Dodge Ram and Toyota Camry across the bridges to get to and from work, or school everyday? 260 round trips a year, two vehicles, $3.15 each crossing.... hmm, hang on, carry the two...oh, net savings of $2,718
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Talk about clueless!
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:Talk about clueless!

Alex - I'll take, how did the BC liberals end up on the other side of the legislature, for $500 please.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:Talk about clueless!

NO, we were talking TO clueless not about.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

who cares? i paid more "fees" and increases under the liberals and that was exactly the same thing. it just wasnt prefaced by the word taxes. that to me is more sneaky than taxes is any day.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
westbeach

Post by westbeach »

Drive less, walk more, bike, use transit, leave lights off, manage your heat better, and plan it so you only need to make limited trips.
This can save you hundreds, likely thousands, of dollars a year.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Carbon tax 2018 was 7.78 cents a litre. Sounds like the end of the world a 2 cent a litre raise. lol
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

westbeach wrote:Drive less, walk more, bike, use transit, leave lights off, manage your heat better, and plan it so you only need to make limited trips.
This can save you hundreds, likely thousands, of dollars a year.

off of a tax that is doing absolutely nothing but causing the poor to suffer. Get rid of the stupid tax, and think of the thousands per year everyone will save!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

butcher99 wrote: Carbon tax? Turn down the heat. Drive less.

apologist nonsense. But I will admit, it's not the idiot NDP responsible for this tax, just the increases.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”