Carbon tax needs to go.

Re: Carbon tax needs to go.

Postby Hurtlander » Jul 30th, 2019, 8:04 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 5883 posts

Postby ckil » Jul 30th, 2019, 6:14 pm

butcher99 wrote:
ckil wrote:
It is way easier to tax income than it is carbon, so lets just call the carbon tax for what it is; a tax on income and take it directly from the wage. Businesses are not paying carbon tax, we are in the form of higher prices. Its a joke and makes a mockery of anyone who believes in this system.

Has the carbon tax worked in BC. Try a search on that. Most searches say yes, it has. Although our population has gone up and business has increased since the introduction of the tax the amount of carbon released by BC has remained stable. In 2008 BC population was about 4.1 million now it is about 4.7 million and carbon released has remained relatively stable. In 2016 62.3 million tons of carbon were released. That is up a bit over the previous year but it is still 2.2 Percent down from 2007. Is it enough? No. But to say it is not working requires you to tell us why there is the decrease however slight here while it has continued to climb everywhere else.

Has absolutely nothing to do with a tax. It is technology making the progress. Technology invented by the private sector. By adding a stupid labeled tax on business just means the less the average Joe has to invest in Green technology because no matter what, tax is a cost of business that is passed down to the consumer - always! The label 'Carbon' just provides enough proof of how naive the population has become. Puff, puff give!

2 people like this post.
ckil
Board Meister

Liked in: 112 posts

Postby ckil » Jul 30th, 2019, 7:21 pm

"South Africa, India, the Philippines, South Korea, Japan and China, all signatories to the Paris climate accord, are building a combined 1,800 new coal-fired power plants. Coal plants emit twice as much CO2 as natural gas plants. Meanwhile, international environmental groups campaign against sending Canadian LNG to those countries. And here at home, the Trudeau Liberals have just introduced a tax specifically designed to discourage the building of new cleaner-burning gas-fired power plants as they continue to pursue the fantasy that wind and solar will keep the lights on. Good luck with that. After hundreds of billions of dollars invested, wind and solar contribute just two per cent of global energy supply. And that’s only when the wind is blowing, and the sun is shining."

https://business.financialpost.com/opin ... -to-ponder

3 people like this post.
ckil
Board Meister

Postby nepal » Aug 5th, 2019, 10:18 am

Always a need for a bigger truck to buy groceries! Pretty humorous to see the $$$ when they gas-up at the pumps! [icon_lol2.gif]
Some even buy a diesel, to try to recover the big purchase price. I must be poor, as I couldn’t afford groceries and keep a big leisure truck on the road too. I don’t think the carbon tax would help these drivers, as $$$ is no object. I see so many with un-touched boxes, because they rarely get used to do truck work. I’m always amazed by how skillful the drivers are getting into mall parking slots, especially the wives :biggrin:
Auto dealers love to sell them, because of the huge profit from pick-up truck sales. What ever happened to small trucks and El Caminos?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by nepal on Aug 5th, 2019, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 267 posts

Postby nepal » Aug 5th, 2019, 10:30 am

For those youngsters who don't know what an El Camino is:
Today’s leisure truck drivers would be uber-cool seen riding an efficient El Camino.

2 people like this post.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby nepal » Aug 5th, 2019, 11:11 am

Wow, I didn’t know El Camino car/trucks were making a come-back! Maybe my next vehicle! :up:
Hopefully they’re relatively carbon friendly, compared to a full-size leisure truck.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby ckil » Aug 5th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I dont like the new ones to be honest.

bb49 likes this post.
ckil
Board Meister

Postby OKkayak » Aug 5th, 2019, 2:11 pm

nepal wrote:Wow, I didn’t know El Camino car/trucks were making a come-back! Maybe my next vehicle! :up:
Hopefully they’re relatively carbon friendly, compared to a full-size leisure truck.

Been available outside North America all this time, the El Camino is just a re-badged Holden Ute.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4217 posts

Postby nepal » Aug 6th, 2019, 12:18 am

Here’s a web site to compare fuel economy and carbon output for most vehicles. For those who use a truck for leisure use and to pick-up groceries, some vehicles can save a lot of operating money and C02.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do ... =sbsSelect

Here’s an example:
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby twobits » Aug 7th, 2019, 5:45 pm

nepal wrote:Wow, I didn’t know El Camino car/trucks were making a come-back! Maybe my next vehicle! :up:

The new ones are the ugliest things on the road next to Hummers and PT Cruisers.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

ckil likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby ckil » Aug 7th, 2019, 6:27 pm

twobits wrote:

The new ones are the ugliest things on the road next to Hummers and PT Cruisers.

Totally! What were they were thinking!
ckil
Board Meister

Postby blueliner » Aug 7th, 2019, 9:57 pm

twobits wrote:

You forgot about the 80's Dodge Rampage and the VW Rabbit want a be pickup
blueliner
Fledgling

Liked in: 400 posts

Postby ninetyninepct » Aug 8th, 2019, 9:35 pm

butcher99 wrote:
seewood wrote:^^^ Never happen unfortunately. Once governments get a taste of revenue producing tax especially under the guise of being " green" there is no way any government will get rid of it entirely....unless your Rob Ford.

Carbon taxes have proven to work. More taxes less carbon released.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the Trudeau Babs Carbon Tax is working so well, why not jump straight to $200 or even more?

In a bizarre way, they do work. Stuff made in Canada or sold in Canada produces Liberal Carbon one way or another. In our house we are doing our part by making a point of staying away from Product of Canada or Made in Canada, even Maple syrup.

My KIA, TV, computers and Samsung phones are all made in S. Korea. Our bed and mattress are from California and are fantastic, I get almost all my hobby stuff on Amazon, my electric trike and all rechargeable batteries are Chinese, most of our clothes are from the Philippines,Vietnam or India. Hell, even my car gas comes from Washington. I will need new tires next year and will get them shipped from the US, probably free shipping. A local auto-wrecker will mount & balance for $40 cash (no carbon tax). The underground economy is expanding and Governments are losing out on multi-millions.

Just got bike brake pads from Florida - no carbon tax and free shipping. Amazon is great - I didn't need to drive to the bike shop. We are doing our part so where is my carbon reduction medal from Babs?

In BC we get screwed for $45. The resisting Provinces with a $20 tax get up to $600 as a Liberal "rebate". Ours here in BC should be 4 times as much.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Liked in: 259 posts

Postby fluffy » Aug 9th, 2019, 3:47 am

ninetyninepct wrote:If the Trudeau Babs Carbon Tax is working so well, why not jump straight to $200 or even more?

The research I have read says that $200/tonne is the level at which carbon taxation becomes truly effective. The purpose of the whole exercise is, in large part, to get people to make the connection between burning fossil fuels and societal costs. The science has been available for years yet we still cast it aside in favour of personal convenience and outright laziness. Our current level of carbon taxation is just foreplay.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

Omnitheo likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4392 posts

Postby nepal » Aug 10th, 2019, 10:23 pm

China is a leader in electric vehicle design and mass-production:
10 electric cars unveiled by Chinese car companies at Auto Shanghai 2019.

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/04/25/auto-shanghai-2019-electric-cars/

http://theconversation.com/the-electric-vehicle-revolution-will-come-from-china-not-the-us-116102

As the West withdraws into an isolated cocoon, China is emerging as the new leader, and making advances in pollution abatement while they’re at it. Apparently there are 500 EV manufacturers in China, granted only some are significant.
Last edited by nepal on Aug 20th, 2019, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

fluffy likes this post.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.