All things Horgan

Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: All things Horgan

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

As far as I can tell, Horgan has been inconspicuously absent for the last two years. Rarely see him doing anything pertaining to this province. I suppose that is what happens when you were never voted in to the position of the Premiere of the province.

Does anyone else find it odd that he is rarely seen? I get the feeling that he is just not into the Premier thingy.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:As far as I can tell, Horgan has been inconspicuously absent for the last two years. Rarely see him doing anything pertaining to this province. I suppose that is what happens when you were never voted in to the position of the Premiere of the province.

Does anyone else find it odd that he is rarely seen? I get the feeling that he is just not into the Premier thingy.

The less I see his mugshot the happier I am. Consider it a blessing. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Way to deflect from explaining why the NDP didn't get the bridge done, when they had ten years of governance to do it. :up:

It was you who suggested they would have done it had they been reelected. Easy statement to make after the fact.

Not everyone agrees with your position on how great the economy is .........

“We estimate a 2018 baseline of B.C. home sales of 90,500 units, a decline of roughly 11,000 units from 2017. This decline was driven by market forces, such as rising interest rates, deteriorating affordability and a slowing economy.”

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#261069.

Actually if you check back I never said that I said they might have. We will never know.

And how many years did the Liberals have to get the Massey tunnel situation fixed? That has been a mess since the 80s when I lived in Tsawassen. It was and is far worse than the OK bridge ever was.

One development not built in West Bank is more or less meaningless in the overall scheme of things for the BC economy.

If I may remind you yet again, , the GDP continues to grow and is the best in Canada. Unemployment is the lowest of all the provinces. Investment in the province continues to grow. The population is continuing to grow. By every measuring stick things are continuing to improve in BC.
Attachments
economyJPG.JPG
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

CLV:

*removed Horgan appears regularly - not nearly as 'regularly' as Christy Clark did, but then again, if he spent $1 MILLION dollars of taxpayer money on photographers, videographers you would be having fits and conniptions!

Keeping a tight lid on spending is “the foundation” of Premier Christy Clark’s approach to governing, or at least that’s what her new election commercial says.

But the TV ad somehow fails to mention the near $1 million that Clark’s government has spent on photography services since she became premier.

Yes, photography: $923,374 to be precise, for the salaries and massive travel expenses of two full-time photographers to take still photos and videos for the government.

https://theprovince.com/opinion/columni ... hotography
Last edited by WalterWhite on Jul 13th, 2019, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal Attack
Chill
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

butcher99 wrote:

Actually if you check back I never said that I said they might have. We will never know.

And how many years did the Liberals have to get the Massey tunnel situation fixed? That has been a mess since the 80s when I lived in Tsawassen. It was and is far worse than the OK bridge ever was.

One development not built in West Bank is more or less meaningless in the overall scheme of things for the BC economy.

If I may remind you yet again, , the GDP continues to grow and is the best in Canada. Unemployment is the lowest of all the provinces. Investment in the province continues to grow. The population is continuing to grow. By every measuring stick things are continuing to improve in BC.

As meaningless as the amount collected by the spec tax ?
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

mikest2 wrote:
butcher99 wrote:

As meaningless as the amount collected by the spec tax ?

No, actually quite a bit of tax has been collected with the spec tax. I would have thought more but its still good. And yes, one developement more or less in any one part of BC is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I did not say it was meaningless to West Bank, just in the grand scheme of things Just as a new project in Ladner is more or less meaningless in the grand scheme.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

butcher99 wrote:And how many years did the Liberals have to get the Massey tunnel situation fixed? That has been a mess since the 80s when I lived in Tsawassen. It was and is far worse than the OK bridge ever was.

Apples to oranges comparison given that we only have one road and crossing here and our old bridge was sinking, compared to the Massey Tunnel which is more inconvenient than anything else, hence not as high a priority as a failing structure.

You also have to remember that the Liberals took over a BC, that had been sorely neglected by the NDP, something that takes time to fix. All kinds of improvements to our highway infrastructure were done by the Liberals despite having to play catch up.

Just noted your remark about the Massey Tunnel being a mess since the 80's, so you admit the NDP had a decade where they could have done something about it, but as usual they found a way to stall and hope someone else would have to deal with it. Something that could easily enough still happen yet again.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
butcher99 wrote:And how many years did the Liberals have to get the Massey tunnel situation fixed? That has been a mess since the 80s when I lived in Tsawassen. It was and is far worse than the OK bridge ever was.

Apples to oranges comparison given that we only have one road and crossing here and our old bridge was sinking, compared to the Massey Tunnel which is more inconvenient than anything else, hence not as high a priority as a failing structure.

You also have to remember that the Liberals took over a BC, that had been sorely neglected by the NDP, something that takes time to fix. All kinds of improvements to our highway infrastructure were done by the Liberals despite having to play catch up.

Just noted your remark about the Massey Tunnel being a mess since the 80's, so you admit the NDP had a decade where they could have done something about it, but as usual they found a way to stall and hope someone else would have to deal with it. Something that could easily enough still happen yet again.

BC was not neglected by the NDP. I just cannot get over your hatred. BC has done just fine under the NDP. I have listened to all the Liberal whining about the NDP driving BC into the ground but here we are. Let me remind you yet again, or rather, why bother. Your hatred has blinded you.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urban Cowboy wrote:

butcher99 wrote:
BC was not neglected by the NDP. I just cannot get over your hatred. BC has done just fine under the NDP. I have listened to all the Liberal whining about the NDP driving BC into the ground but here we are. Let me remind you yet again, or rather, why bother. Your hatred has blinded you.

I'd be 100% justified in accusing you and your like minded orange kool-aid gang of exactly the same thing, only more deservedly so.

If by not neglecting BC you mean they catered to their union puppet masters, then you would be right, as that's about all they ever pay attention to, but I'm talking roads, infrastructure and such, so what exactly did they provide in that regard during ten years of governance? Got any examples like major road undertakings, bridges, interchanges, dams, etc.?

I still vividly recollect all the bad mouthing NDP lovers directed toward Clark in regards to Westside Road, which ironically the Liberals spent many millions on, compared to the NDP's zilch.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Jul 13th, 2019, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Don't make it personal.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Urban Cowboy wrote:If by not neglecting BC you mean they catered to their union puppet masters, then you would be right, as that's about all they ever pay attention to, but I'm talking roads, infrastructure and such, so what exactly did they provide in that regard during ten years of governance? Got any examples like major road undertakings, bridges, interchanges, dams, etc.?

Trust me, I am not a fan of the NDP, NDG or any manifestation of the orange lot currently in government, however I do remember the construction of the Island highway to Campbell River being built in the 90's. Think that was about it....( It was first spoken about in 86 and then again with more detail in 88 )
I am not wealthy but I am rich
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:
I'd be 100% justified in accusing you and your like minded orange kool-aid gang of exactly the same thing, only more deservedly so.

If by not neglecting BC you mean they catered to their union puppet masters, then you would be right, as that's about all they ever pay attention to, but I'm talking roads, infrastructure and such, so what exactly did they provide in that regard during ten years of governance? Got any examples like major road undertakings, bridges, interchanges, dams, etc.?

I still vividly recollect all the bad mouthing NDP lovers directed toward Clark in regards to Westside Road, which ironically the Liberals spent many millions on, compared to the NDP's zilch.

No. Sorry. I don't hate the Liberals. I dislike their policies. I dislike Christy Clark. I think she brought out what we hate worst about politicians. But hate? Sorry. Gordon Campbell? Did I hate him? No. I thought he was a real weasel. Especially when he admitted to a crime that if he had committed it in Canada or the US he would have been forced to resign from politics. But because it occurred in a State that considered it only a misdimeaner he decided it did not count. Lowered my opinion of him even more, but hate? Nope.

Major projects completed by the NDP. Don't know why I bother but the Island Highway project is one. Of course we all know what you are going to say about that. You will say it was just a payoff to the unions. Forgetting of course that when the Liberals were in power they promised but never came through with it. Yes, I also lived on Vancouver Island and I heard the liberal promises. I lived in Comox for a number of years.

When they are elected I know that things will not fall apart just as they don't fall apart under the NDP. Much to your chagrin. I know that time marches on. I will not like a lot of the sell outs the Liberals do to business and find those very distasteful. But hate. Sorry bud. Thats you.

I know when they are elected people will get tired of their self serving ways and toss them out no matter what party is elected.

By the way, I also lived on West Side Road way out in Killaney Beach. The Liberals were in power for how many years before they finally decided to work on it? How is your memory? It was falling off the edges all the while Campbell was in power and had to be closed and repaired just about every year. Work was not started on it until Clark failed to win her original seat and then had to run in a safe riding. She had to throw some bone to her constituents. That was it.

I did hate to see her represent my riding but her personally, no I do not and did not hate her.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

As seewood pointed out the NDP did do the Island Highway so chalk one up for them.

Now just quickly recalling without doing any digging, the Liberals built Sea to Sky Highway, Port Mann Bridge, widening of Hwy 97 Summerland to Peachland, Glenrosa interchange, West Kelowna Hwy 97 improvements, multiple interchanges for the WIB, the Bennett Bridge, widening of Hwy 97 through Kelowna, installation of centre barriers Kelowna to Vernon, the Bailey Road intersection revamp, widening of Hwy 97 from Vernon to Armstrong, Enderby area Hwy 97 was also being improved last time I was through there, Westside Road improvements in multiple areas, and various sections of the Trans Canada Highway were also being improved.

I'm sure there have been a lot of other projects in areas I'm unfamiliar with, nevertheless there's quite an undeniable contrast between the two.

Also that's focusing solely on transportation, but we also got Hospital improvements in Penticton, Kelowna, and Vernon, of a fairly substantial nature.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Also that's focusing solely on transportation, but we also got Hospital improvements in Penticton, Kelowna, and Vernon, of a fairly substantial nature.

That was capital budget but not operational. I.e. The facility was built but there was no budget for staffing the beds. So they sat empty.

But the announcements looked great!! Fooled a lot of people.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:
    That was capital budget but not operational. I.e. The facility was built but there was no budget for staffing the beds. So they sat empty.

But the announcements looked great!! Fooled a lot of people.
When John Horgan and his colleagues ran the government in the 1990s medical school spaces were reduced with a resulting shortage of physicians. The BC Liberal government created new medical schools and of course made wonderful improvements to hospitals like KGH.

We now have a cardiac care unit at KGH and most of us consider that a significant improvement. The Strathcona Building renovation included the conversion of older operating rooms to new single-patient rooms for patients in the cardiac unit. Staffing, of course, was provided for the beds despite those who are pretending otherwise . . .

John Horgan is the subject of this thread though so I suggest that we get back on topic.

Return to “B.C.”