All things Horgan

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:56 pm

Just because it's now being tacked onto the price of goods and services, does NOT mean the MSP isn't costing us anything.

Good grief you don't grasp economics at all.

As for bridge tolls they may not be showing up as a direct expense like before, but rest assured we're still paying for those too, just now the whole province gets to ante up.

Typical NDP brainwashed blind follower, everything is free, and we're all rolling in untold riches, yeah right.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

6 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5361
Likes: 5607 posts
Liked in: 7708 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: All things Horgan

Postby southy » Jul 23rd, 2019, 5:16 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:Just because it's now being tacked onto the price of goods and services, does NOT mean the MSP isn't costing us anything.

Good grief you don't grasp economics at all.

As for bridge tolls they may not be showing up as a direct expense like before, but rest assured we're still paying for those too, just now the whole province gets to ante up.

Typical NDP brainwashed blind follower, everything is free, and we're all rolling in untold riches, yeah right.
o

You UC should receive a triple LIKE for this post. Excellent!!

Troutcreeker likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2338
Likes: 559 posts
Liked in: 989 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: All things Horgan

Postby butcher99 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:28 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:Just because it's now being tacked onto the price of goods and services, does NOT mean the MSP isn't costing us anything.

Good grief you don't grasp economics at all.

As for bridge tolls they may not be showing up as a direct expense like before, but rest assured we're still paying for those too, just now the whole province gets to ante up.

Typical NDP brainwashed blind follower, everything is free, and we're all rolling in untold riches, yeah right.



I have a very good grasp on economics thanks. My cost for MSP has gone down or will have gone down $1800 a year as of next year. For more than half of the residents of BC MSP premiums will be $1800. less next year.
BC is now funding healthcare the same way every other province in Canada is. Out of general revenue. BC was the only province direct billing citizens with an MSP premium. Ontario has a tax surcharge as low as $60 a year that maxes out at $900. a year at $200,000 as well as a business tax. Employers are charged a healthcare tax the same as in BC.

As for the bridge tolls, large projects like that have always been a provincial responsibility. The Kelowna bridge was built out of general revenue, or will be once it is paid off. Why is there no toll on our bridge? What if Fort St. John needed a new 750 million dollar bridge? Should they have to fund the bridge with tolls?

We are all citizens of BC. We fund projects like this from general revenue other than a couple of historical exceptions. Lions Gate being one, which was a private venture and the original Okanagan bridge.
If you can give me a logical reason why we should not be paying tolls on our bridge when those in the Lower Mainland have to I would love to hear it.

Right now the NDP seem to have a very firm grasp on economics. Only balanced budget of all the provinces. Lowest unemployment rate. Businesses plan to boost their capital expenditures by nearly $4 billion (up 13%) this year—the
biggest increase ever in dollar terms. Commercial real estate also is on an upswing—driving nonresidential investment 21% above year-ago levels in the first quarter of 2019. (RBC Provincial Economic Forecasts)
Housing prices have softened but that was the intention of the legislation introduced. Those trying to buy their first home or upgrade a bit are quite happy.

Looks like a pretty rosy economic forecast to me.

Merry likes this post.
butcher99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3500
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 722 posts
Joined: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Merry » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:24 pm

I didn't vote NDP in the last provincial election, and I don't agree with everything they've done since taking Office but, on the whole, I think they've done a pretty decent job and, provided they continue with their moderate form of Government, I'm willing to vote for them in the next election.

I agree with most of the comments in the above post. Large infrastructure projects such as bridges should come out of general revenue. If they didn't, smaller cities such as here in the Okanagan would face much larger user fees than what are required in larger centres. And I also agree with the MSP decision (which the Liberals had also promised to remove). The NDP mistake was in double billing business for one year by charging them both the MSP and the new employer health tax. Not sure what their justification was, but it didn't seem right to me.

I disagree strongly with the NDP opposition to the pipeline, although I realize they don't have much choice on that one due to needing the Green support. But I wish they'd call a referendum on the issue, and let the people decide.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 9606
Likes: 9007 posts
Liked in: 8448 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: All things Horgan

Postby southy » Jul 23rd, 2019, 1:46 pm

Merry .. I do appreciate your honesty, however, the NDP going to referendum on the pipeline issue would signal the end of NDP as it now is. They can never take the chance and never will. You can be sure the G bandits would go after them in an instant if they even uttered such a thing.

2 people like this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2338
Likes: 559 posts
Liked in: 989 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: All things Horgan

Postby butcher99 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 4:41 pm

southy wrote:Merry .. I do appreciate your honesty, however, the NDP going to referendum on the pipeline issue would signal the end of NDP as it now is. They can never take the chance and never will. You can be sure the G bandits would go after them in an instant if they even uttered such a thing.


Why did the Liberals not call a referendum on it? For the same reason the NDP will not. At that time the chances were that they would have lost.

The NDP have already shown numerous times that although they listen to the Greens they do not have to toe their line.

flamingfingers likes this post.
butcher99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3500
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 722 posts
Joined: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: All things Horgan

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 23rd, 2019, 5:09 pm

butcher99 -

I am giddy with joy that someone (YOU) have finally used the idiom "toe the line" correctly!!!

:130:

Yeah, off topic I know, but......
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21198
Likes: 6722 posts
Liked in: 6855 posts
Joined: Jul 9th, 2005, 8:56 am

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Pete Podoski » Jul 25th, 2019, 10:27 am

It's deja-vu 1990's all over again!

Horgan is putting B.C. into the sewer, the same as he helped do 20 years ago.

We are on our way to a welfare state, again. It seems we have to go through this until people's memories are refreshed, and youngsters learn a harsh lesson, every so often.

It's too bad our educators spend more time talking about which bathroom kids can choose than teaching lessons about political and economic disaster under statist regimes.

Image
Hi, I'm Justin Trudeau, and I'm riding a bus.
Why? It's not because my $2,000,000 vintage 1960 Mercedes 300SL is in the shop.
It's because it's election time and I need you to believe that I'm just like you and that I actually care.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Pete Podoski
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 954
Likes: 2021 posts
Liked in: 2336 posts
Joined: Jul 16th, 2018, 9:13 am

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Queen K » Jul 25th, 2019, 10:29 am

Could it be that the logging industry had nothing to do with Horgan? Maybe it's on it's own supply/demand curve independant of Horgan?
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

Merry likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 56816
Likes: 14281 posts
Liked in: 15382 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: Beside the Right Wingers, to light the way.

Re: All things Horgan

Postby seewood » Jul 25th, 2019, 10:45 am

Queen K wrote:Could it be that the logging industry had nothing to do with Horgan? Maybe it's on it's own supply/demand curve independant of Horgan?


Spot on other than an increase in stumpage rates at this time might not be the best idea. Regardless, if there is not enough fiber to feed the mill, then there is not enough fiber to feed the mill no matter what other influence there are.
No political party really had an influence on the MT. Pine beetle outbreak other than who ever was in power at the time it showed up in great numbers in Tweedsmuir park and decided not to harvest and control it at that time. Me thinks if they could a do over, the infestations in the park would be logged to control the bug.

I'd be thinking the government, if they have not done so already, will be adjusting the revenue generated from the forest industry over the next year or two. Including the reduced income tax from the mill and loggers, reduced stumpage revenues as well.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod
 
Posts: 1636
Likes: 4157 posts
Liked in: 1614 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: All things Horgan

Postby butcher99 » Jul 25th, 2019, 10:58 am

Pete Podoski wrote:It's deja-vu 1990's all over again!

Horgan is putting B.C. into the sewer, the same as he helped do 20 years ago.

We are on our way to a welfare state, again. It seems we have to go through this until people's memories are refreshed, and youngsters learn a harsh lesson, every so often.

It's too bad our educators spend more time talking about which bathroom kids can choose than teaching lessons about political and economic disaster under statist regimes.


Allow me to remind you once again, under the liberals under Campbell 70 lumber and pulp mills closed in the first 10 years he was in office. They continued to close under Clark. They will continue to close. They kept going under Clark because of the abundance of beetle killed pine although there were still closures. Now the dead pine is pretty much cut down or past its sell by date.

It is so easy to blame everything on the NDP. Especially when some people have such hate for them. No matter who was in office those lumber mills would still be closing. The NDP has started to address the issue.
The Liberals knew this was coming, or at least they should have. What was their plan? What did they start while in office to help combate the coming lack of material that everyone should have known was coming.

This from the NDP many many years ago. “The government knew we were within the window of mill closures because of the mountain pine beetle issues,” said Simpson, who left a job in the forest products industry in 2005 to run for the New Democratic Party in Cariboo North.

Simpson brought this issue to the legislature then, saying they had 10-15 years before mills would start shutting down. But forestry was booming at the time and his calls for government to start community transition planning were ignored."

So, what was the Liberal response to the knowledge that mills were going to close? Next to nothing is the answer. So blame the party that has been in power for 2 years over a problem the Liberals knew was coming for 15 years all you like. It will not change the fact that the party you want in power did next to nothing to avert this crisis.

Or you could read this story from 2015 about the crisis for lumber in BC. Gee, I wonder who was in power then? Gee, I wonder why all you NDP haters were not going on and on then about the downturn in the lumber industry in BC?
https://biv.com/article/2015/02/shrinki ... es-us-mill

Merry likes this post.
butcher99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3500
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 722 posts
Joined: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: All things Horgan

Postby butcher99 » Jul 25th, 2019, 11:01 am

Pete Podoski wrote:
Image


Do you happen to have a link from where you captured this image? Would like to see the date. It could easily be from the Gordon Campbell years when the real closures happened.
butcher99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3500
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 722 posts
Joined: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jul 25th, 2019, 1:11 pm

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

NDP apologist in full defence mode.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 5361
Likes: 5607 posts
Liked in: 7708 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Pete Podoski » Jul 25th, 2019, 1:39 pm

butcher99 wrote: Do you happen to have a link from where you captured this image? Would like to see the date. It could easily be from the Gordon Campbell years when the real closures happened.


Hot off the press.

https://www.facebook.com/HoweStreetdotc ... =3&theater

Not that it would change your mind, anyway.
Hi, I'm Justin Trudeau, and I'm riding a bus.
Why? It's not because my $2,000,000 vintage 1960 Mercedes 300SL is in the shop.
It's because it's election time and I need you to believe that I'm just like you and that I actually care.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Pete Podoski
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 954
Likes: 2021 posts
Liked in: 2336 posts
Joined: Jul 16th, 2018, 9:13 am

Re: All things Horgan

Postby butcher99 » Jul 25th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Pete Podoski wrote:
butcher99 wrote: Do you happen to have a link from where you captured this image? Would like to see the date. It could easily be from the Gordon Campbell years when the real closures happened.


Hot off the press.

https://www.facebook.com/HoweStreetdotc ... =3&theater

Not that it would change your mind, anyway.


Didn't say it was. Said it could just as easily been from.

Queen K likes this post.
butcher99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3500
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 722 posts
Joined: Mar 6th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Location: Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests