southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 991 posts

Re: All things Horgan

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 25th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Catching up on measles vax
The Canadian Press - Jul 25, 2019 / 5:24 pm | Story: 262137

Photo: BC Gov't
B.C.'s health minister says the number of children fully immunized against measles rose by 37,525 between April and June as part of a catch-up program.

Symptoms of the disease that was eradicated in Canada in 1998 include fever, cough, runny nose and a rash that starts on the face and spreads to the chest.

The present government is still correcting mistakes made by the arrogant and uncaring BC Liberals after their 16-year reign of error!
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.

burnedatstake likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6860 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jul 25th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Here's to the next election correcting the current mistake. :130:
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

4 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7735 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Jul 25th, 2019, 7:51 pm

We'll see:

British Columbia
New poll shows flagging fortunes for B.C. Liberals, sustained support for NDP and Greens

Housing, poverty and homelessness identified by B.C. voters as overwhelmingly most important issue
Karin Larsen · CBC News · Posted: May 30, 2019 10:38 AM PT | Last Updated: May 30

A new poll shows Horgan with a 51 per cent approval rating midway through his term as premier. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito)

comments
Halfway through its mandate, the ruling B.C. NDP has the greatest level of support in the province, according to a new poll.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5155606
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6860 posts

Postby Urbane » Jul 25th, 2019, 9:45 pm

^^ Thanks for once again posting an article about that same May 30th poll, flaming! LOL . . . and it may be that the NDP will win the 2021 election. It would be their first win in a provincial election since 1996. A word of caution though: The NDP over the years have done pretty well in polls between elections. It's the actual elections that have been a problem.

There's no question that Andrew Wilkinson, who I like a lot, will need to be out there clearly articulating the Liberal platform and how they would govern differently than the NDP. Anyway, two years is an eternity in politics so if I were you I wouldn't count my chickens just yet.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 13070 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 25th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:Here's to the next election correcting the current mistake. :130:

what mistakes? they are slaying it!
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 492 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 25th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Urbane wrote:^^ Thanks for once again posting an article about that same May 30th poll, flaming! LOL . . . and it may be that the NDP will win the 2021 election. It would be their first win in a provincial election since 1996. A word of caution though: The NDP over the years have done pretty well in polls between elections. It's the actual elections that have been a problem.

There's no question that Andrew Wilkinson, who I like a lot, will need to be out there clearly articulating the Liberal platform and how they would govern differently than the NDP. Anyway, two years is an eternity in politics so if I were you I wouldn't count my chickens just yet.

those are some interesting thoughts. 2 things come to mind though. 1. what exactly is wilkinsons liberal platform? if it is the same as before - then the liberals being better at the economy is going to make liberals look silly. especially when everyone now knows that isnt the case. there were too many gaffes like selling prime real estate on the cheap - clattering in the closet. or it now being revealed that what the liberals deemed to be good for the economy - was laundering illicit funds through our lottery system with full knowledge of that fact.
and 2. the liberals will have the deficit that bc voters will know that the jig is up and they cant simply convince fence sitting voters that the liberals are simply better at governing and the ndp has no clue. people have seen whats behind the curtain with horgan at the controls. and things are great. even with weaver getting his hand smacked touching things in the back. the liberals this time around will have to be very specific what they are actually BETTER at. not con voters about the rhetoric surrounding what they perceive the ndp cant do.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby mikest2 » Jul 26th, 2019, 6:17 am

Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

6 people like this post.
mikest2
Übergod

Liked in: 1777 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jul 26th, 2019, 9:00 am

mikest2 wrote:https://theorca.ca/resident-pod/blowing-a-lead/

That article nails every concern I've had right on the head.

I'm no fortune teller, but I have seen signs that don't support the "economy is great" stance, the NDP supporters keep repeating, and I have said all along that it would take some time to see the true fallout from all the policies the NDP have implemented.

At this stage we are just 7 months into many of those changes, and I've certainly noted a slow down in several areas.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of BC, but only time will tell us.

As for the polls a couple of the NDP fanboys keep bringing up, I couldn't possibly care less what those indicate, given that these come from the same pollsters that predicted a resounding win by Dix which turned out to be a Liberal majority.

Two years is an eternity in politics and plenty of time for the NDP to soil the bed. :biggrin:

Election day is the only poll that matters!
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

5 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Postby butcher99 » Jul 26th, 2019, 9:03 am

Urbane wrote:^^ Thanks for once again posting an article about that same May 30th poll, flaming! LOL . . . and it may be that the NDP will win the 2021 election. It would be their first win in a provincial election since 1996. A word of caution though: The NDP over the years have done pretty well in polls between elections. It's the actual elections that have been a problem.

The problem has been vote splitting between the NDP and the Greens. The Liberals had been getting in over and over with ridiculously low percentages of the vote. And so had the NDP. So have the federal conservatives btw. Just over one third of the voters should not get you an absolute majority. (37-40%) That is set to happen again in the next election whether it is the NDP or Liberals as the Conservative party now polls at about 10% and the Greens are right up there.

That May 30 poll is the last one available or a newer one would be used showing the same thing. That poll was this May 30 not a year ago. That is not all that old. But if you can find a more recent one, why not post it.

The way the sky is not falling does not bode well for the Liberals. Balanced budgets, MSP premiums finally set the same way they are in every other province, business growth bridge tolls gone, housing prices stabilized and still the sky is not falling.
butcher99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 729 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jul 26th, 2019, 9:30 am

The sky may not be falling, YET, but quite a few seem to think that James' revenue forecast is overly optimistic. I'm inclined to agree but time will tell.

4 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Postby rustled » Jul 29th, 2019, 12:54 pm

The sky may not be falling, but:
The news keeps getting worse when it comes to family finances in B.C.

MNP conducted its latest debt index poll, and it found overall attitudes towards personal financial situations have declined significantly since March.

The survey found 44 per cent of people in the province say they are $200 or less away from financial insolvency, which is being unable to pay the amount of money you owe on time. That was the largest increase compared to other provinces.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/262366 ... ting-worse

2 people like this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 9998 posts

Postby Urbane » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:34 pm

rustled wrote:The sky may not be falling, but:
    The news keeps getting worse when it comes to family finances in B.C.

MNP conducted its latest debt index poll, and it found overall attitudes towards personal financial situations have declined significantly since March.

The survey found 44 per cent of people in the province say they are $200 or less away from financial insolvency, which is being unable to pay the amount of money you owe on time. That was the largest increase compared to other provinces.
    https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/262366 ... ting-worse

Economic issues will likely decide the outcome of the 2021 election. You know the old question: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" The GDP government has benefitted from the strong BC Liberal economy but it's a long time between now and election day.

2 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 13070 posts

Postby rustled » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:44 pm

I was surprised by the numbers. MNP is promoting their services, so grain of salt. They claim the numbers are higher in BC, though, and if that becomes a trend (more families in BC feeling they're falling behind than in other provinces) it won't help the NDP in the next election.

We've yet to see the results of NDP policies, and of impacts like the mill closures.

Urbane likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 9998 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:47 pm

i find it very telling that for too many years the bc liberals were selling the economy and the liberal supporters bought that as gospel truth. and now when the bc ndp says so they have doubts. where are these doubts from? political bias? or facts?
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.