All things Horgan

Re: All things Horgan

Postby Pete Podoski » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:58 pm

John Horgan. He's not working for you.

BC insolvency getting worse

Kirk Penton - Jul 29, 2019 / 12:20 pm

The news keeps getting worse when it comes to family finances in B.C.

MNP conducted its latest debt index poll, and it found overall attitudes towards personal financial situations have declined significantly since March.

The survey found 44 per cent of people in the province say they are $200 or less away from financial insolvency, which is being unable to pay the amount of money you owe on time. That was the largest increase compared to other provinces.

Making matters even worse is that 49 per cent of British Columbians say they would be embarrassed to get help if their financial situation was bad enough to consider bankruptcy.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/262366 ... ting-worse
Hi, I'm Justin Trudeau, and I'm riding a bus.
Why? It's not because my $2,000,000 vintage 1960 Mercedes 300SL is in the shop.
It's because it's election time and I need you to believe that I'm just like you and that I actually care.
Pete Podoski
Übergod

Liked in: 2436 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 29th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Pete Podoski wrote:John Horgan. He's not working for you.

MNP conducted its latest debt index poll, and it found overall attitudes towards personal financial situations have declined significantly since March.

The survey found 44 per cent of people in the province say they are $200 or less away from financial insolvency, which is being unable to pay the amount of money you owe on time. That was the largest increase compared to other provinces.

Making matters even worse is that 49 per cent of British Columbians say they would be embarrassed to get help if their financial situation was bad enough to consider bankruptcy.

this is laughable. things are definitely not worse under horgan. ive lived in both realities. and i prefer the present over the past. wages were lower. i was paying msp. and many other things like tolls. the fact that we as a society are preyed upon by banks and have too much credit or large mortgages is not the fault of the government. it is our own. 1. dont rack up your credit cards. 2. dont get a house and mortgage you cant afford - unless you have a rental or airbnb it. simple.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 492 posts

Postby southy » Jul 29th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Seriously??
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 990 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jul 29th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Once again...... John Horgan, even if the NDP are well ahead in the polls, is unlikely to lead them into the next election. But the new leader will get a majority. This current Liberal leader is pathetic. And the NDP/Green coalition has gotten the approval of more and more.

2 people like this post.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1550 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 3rd, 2019, 7:58 pm

Richard Zussman
@richardzussman
Premier John Horgan was not asked a single question from media that wasn't about Burnaby Hospital. That means potentially 3 things:
1) Hospital is massive deal
2) Horgan governing nearly problem free
3) Horgan available often & media doesn't need stuff on other issues
#bcpoli

And where is Wilkinson?
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6860 posts

Postby mikest2 » Sep 3rd, 2019, 8:04 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
Richard Zussman
@richardzussman
Premier John Horgan was not asked a single question from media that wasn't about Burnaby Hospital. That means potentially 3 things:
1) Hospital is massive deal
2) Horgan governing nearly problem free
3) Horgan available often & media doesn't need stuff on other issues
#bcpoli

And where is Wilkinson?

Perhaps because the press conference was at the Burnaby Hospital, about the Burnaby Hospital.
He did look a little embarrassed when he said it was 1.3 million, not 1.3 billion, although he's never been that good at math.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

Troutcreeker likes this post.
mikest2
Übergod

Liked in: 1777 posts

Postby LordEd » Sep 3rd, 2019, 8:21 pm

burnedatstake wrote: i was paying msp.
If you stopped paying you have a surprise coming. It doesn't end until next year.

Pay up.
I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to be punished for it. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)
https://xkcd.com/1357/

LordEd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2507 posts

Postby butcher99 » Sep 4th, 2019, 9:24 am

Pete Podoski wrote:John Horgan. He's not working for you.

If people are further into debt now than before it is not the fault of John Horgan or the NDP. People get further into debt when they feel secure about their financial situation. Especially for large purchases like homes and expensive vehicles.
I am surprised that only 49% would feel embarrassed if they were bad enough off to consider bankruptcy. I would think it would be much higher.
butcher99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 729 posts

Postby butcher99 » Sep 4th, 2019, 9:27 am

Urbane wrote:Economic issues will likely decide the outcome of the 2021 election. You know the old question: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" The GDP government has benefitted from the strong BC Liberal economy but it's a long time between now and election day.

Yes, so you keep saying. But it is getting closer and things are not looking any better for the Liberals. Perhaps if a recession comes along thanks to Trump and his trade wars things might change but right now the sky is still not falling.
If there is a recession it is going to be nasty. With interest rates still at the bottom of the barrel there is not much a government can do to make any corrections. No matter who is in power.
butcher99
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Sep 4th, 2019, 9:31 am

butcher99 wrote:
If people are further into debt now than before it is not the fault of John Horgan or the NDP. People get further into debt when they feel secure about their financial situation. Especially for large purchases like homes and expensive vehicles.
I am surprised that only 49% would feel embarrassed if they were bad enough off to consider bankruptcy. I would think it would be much higher.

People get further into debt because they make poor financial decisions regardless of their current financial security. The tipping point is when the cost of living increases. Fact is when Government's increase cost of living, or create a less than friendly economical environment, people have less money to spend and to save, even if they're in good financial shape, Governments can very easily put those people closer to financial hardships through higher taxation or fees.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

rustled likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4315 posts

Postby butcher99 » Sep 4th, 2019, 10:03 am

OKkayak wrote:People get further into debt because they make poor financial decisions regardless of their current financial security. The tipping point is when the cost of living increases. Fact is when Government's increase cost of living, or create a less than friendly economical environment, people have less money to spend and to save, even if they're in good financial shape, Governments can very easily put those people closer to financial hardships through higher taxation or fees.

So then if that was true, people would be better off now not worse. The economy is doing better than ever. Fees are down and no taxes for the average tax payer have increased.
Yes, people make poor decisions all the time. Banks who lend the money do not. They carefully check your finances before giving you a mortgage. Especially now with the new mortgage rules. It is the massive cost of buying a house and a $40,000 car that is driving the debt up. Not people putting groceries they cannot afford on a charge card although that also helps drive up the total debt. The more cards you have the more you drive down your credit score and the lower the limits are set on new cards and the harder they are to get. Yes, one can put a lot of debt of a card but compared to a $750,000 house or $400,000 condo or more, that is minuscule. Credit card debt accounted for approximately 5 per cent of total household debt as of December 2016. The most recent figure I could find. So lets say it is up to 7.5% still just a drop in the bucket.
butcher99
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Sep 4th, 2019, 10:50 am

butcher99 wrote:So then if that was true, people would be better off now not worse.

But it isn't. ICBC is going up. Hydro is going up. Carbon Tax is going up. Etc, etc, etc.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby butcher99 » Sep 4th, 2019, 3:17 pm

OKkayak wrote:
butcher99 wrote:So then if that was true, people would be better off now not worse.

But it isn't. ICBC is going up. Hydro is going up. Carbon Tax is going up. Etc, etc, etc.

And why are you blaming that on the NDP? ICBC and Hydro? Years of neglect and theft by the liberals have led to this. You think your hydro is expensive now? Wait until the bills for site C come in. The carbon tax? Still basically revenue neutral but not as first envisioned. However the carbon tax is still a pretty minor cost per family and one that you can work to cut. There are even programs to help you cut it.

Who says people are not better off now? At least they are not worse. I am better off by quite a few bucks per month thanks to getting rid of the MSP premiums (not all gone yet) and the bridge tolls for the few times I go to the lower mainland.
I will be better off by about $2000 a year. That will more than cover the pittance I pay for carbon tax and the bit ICBC and hydro are going up.
I still remember when under the NDP and ICBC had huge profits, that the citizens of BC had a cheque slashed out to them. Under the LIberals taxes were cut on the highest earners and then to make a faux balanced budget more money had to be taken from ICBC as well as the yearly cut from hydro.
The sky is not falling! All you have to blame on the NDP are minor annoyances that you want to blow up into "sky is falling" scenarios.
Sure, things are not maravilloso but there is nothing you can point to that is actually worse than it was under the Liberals. Lots of financial outlooks are actually better under the NDP than the Liberals. That is why under Horgan the NDP Green vote share is growing while the Liberals is going flat.
butcher99
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Sep 4th, 2019, 8:41 pm

butcher99 wrote:And why are you blaming that on the NDP?

No where did I blame the NDP. But, they are the Governing Party and they are 100% responsible for any incurring financial increases on their citizens for as long as they hold office.
butcher99 wrote:ICBC and Hydro?

Both are Crown Corporations, both are increasing their rates again and taking more money out of my pocket.
butcher99 wrote:Years of neglect and theft by the liberals have led to this.

Doesn't matter, they're no longer in power. Its now up to the current Governing Party to look after the people they represent, and since we're talking about past Governments, the NDP doesn't exactly have a stellar track record of fiscal responsibility to their citizens.

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 5th, 2019, 10:46 am

.....the NDP doesn't exactly have a stellar track record of fiscal responsibility to their citizens.

Oh, really?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6860 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.