Implied consent

dakoda62
Fledgling

Implied consent

Post by dakoda62 »

So they are researching mandatory organ donation. Don't get me wrong it saves hundreds if not thousands per year, however if they legislate it, i'm out.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Implied consent

Post by GordonH »

dakoda62 wrote:So they are researching mandatory organ donation. Don't get me wrong it saves hundreds if not thousands per year, however if they legislate it, i'm out.

All that is happening is instead of opting in, people choose to opt out.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Nova Scotia legislature passes presumed consent law for organ donation.
Families will continue to be consulted about their loved ones' wishes, while those under 19 and people without decision-making capacity will only be considered as donors if a parent, guardian or alternate decision-maker opts them in.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/nova-scot ... -1.4378610

Breaking down common questions about presumed consent and organ donation.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5084937
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

oldtrucker wrote:Instead of harvesting organs, I hope one day technology will allow organs to be grown or cloned. Keep a copy of our organs in a organ bank of some kind...just in case we need them one day.

What if for example, I'm a customer of Alcor Cryonics and someone starts taking my organs in a cluster hurry in the emergency room ? I will need them again one day. :200: :smt045 :biggrin:

On the darker side of things...

I've read that in some cases in the U.S. where there are big $$$ on the line for the doctor/hospital, high amounts of pain killers are injected into the DONOR before the organ(s) are removed...Ya....slippery slope.

What if you and your spouse had not discussed last wishes/instructions and you got a emergency call to rush to the hospital because your spouse has been in a accident to find that when you get there that he /she is already been parted out? In that situation, I can see some people, perhaps even myself, completely losing it and going Rambo on the person that did the cutting.

They made a movie about that....it's called The Island. Scarlet was wonderful as usual. :biggrin:
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

floppi wrote:They made a movie about that....it's called The Island. Scarlet was wonderful as usual. :biggrin:

The only good thing that came out of that movie was Steve Jablonsky's score.

As for mandatory organ donation, I'm undecided on it. In a way it could be a good thing, you still have the option to donate or not, but it takes effort on your part if you don't want to donate, rather than just put it off and leave it up to grieving family members to make the decision.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I hope NS made it as easy to opt-out as BC has made it to opt-in.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

They can have it!
They can have some of it for research too.
If it saves one person of any description, harvest away.
Burn the rest, small jar, bury me where ever you please.
My legacy isn't in a jar of ashes, it's in the trail of goodness or misery I leave behind in my life.

If you're not sure, opt out.
I have zero problem with people opting out, but I don't mind the auto opt in option.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Me too!........it's not like I get to use the organs in the afterlife but I hope to wear them out as much as possible before my organs get reused.
bernie428
Board Meister

Post by bernie428 »

floppi wrote:Me too!........it's not like I get to use the organs in the afterlife but I hope to wear them out as much as possible before my organs get reused.

Monty Python....

knackered liver for sale, still has a party left in it, half price, stomp your feet, raise a glass, don't be shy, who wants it????
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I think they should leave it as it is, people can opt in
I thought of the MP line too
and this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBdMXhpQnU
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

In my opinion the headline could not be more inaccurate. And that seems to be the reason why some people are confused. Come on Castanet it's not going for mandatory organ donation. They just want if you don't opt out then they can take your organs. Who titled that story is what I want to know.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Thank you for changing the headline to something accurate
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I believe it should be left as it is. The government should not tell people what to do with their bodies. This is no different than abortion or assisted death, a person of sound mind should make their own choice.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”