Decriminalize Street Drugs ?

Country plough boy
Übergod

Re: Decriminalize Street Drugs ?

Post by Country plough boy »

In a new report, Henry says the drug laws contribute to a deep-rooted shame by people with addictions and that shame stops people from getting treatment.

[/quote]

I thought the main reason people who want help getting off drugs are not getting treatment is because there aren't enough affordable treatment places and long wait times to get into any that exist? Is it only in the Interior that this happens? Is it because most treatment/rehab places are private and high cost so homeless can't afford to go there. [/quote]

I believe you'll find about 70% of the overdoses here in the Okanagan are not happening to the homeless. It's an uncomfortable truth, but a truth supported by stats and accepted by the professionals. If you drill right down into it - you'll be surprised at the "who and where" of fatal drug overdoses these days.[/quote]

Most are suburban white guys. Between 28 and 50.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Another uncomfortable truth, is that many addicts became so, thanks to legal prescription drugs, that big pharma is making billions on, with nary a care regarding the fallout.

i agree to a point big pharma is the devil indeed , but people need to research what they put in there body before they take meds given to them by there doctors ,especially pain killers,people will take pain killers for next to nothing these days
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I've said this few times on this forum.... Recreational drug users should find a new recreation. Because this one is killing them.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

sure looks like people do not know how to have fun without doing drugs these days
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

GordonH wrote:^^^ I've said this few times on this forum.... Recreational drug users should find a new recreation. Because this one is killing them.

Do you go around telling people who enjoy skiing the same thing? Or biking? Or sky-diving? Or any other recreation with a significant factor of risk?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I've said this few times on this forum.... Recreational drug users should find a new recreation. Because this one is killing them.

Verum wrote:Do you go around telling people who enjoy skiing the same thing? Or biking? Or sky-diving? Or any other recreation with a significant factor of risk?

How many recreational drug users have died in last 12 months (in BC) compared to those you mentioned.
I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see those numbers.

Added: I guess when your times up... it's up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:I've said this few times on this forum.... Recreational drug users should find a new recreation. Because this one is killing them.

Verum wrote:Do you go around telling people who enjoy skiing the same thing? Or biking? Or sky-diving? Or any other recreation with a significant factor of risk?

How many recreational drug users have died in last 12 months (in BC) compared to those you mentioned.

The problem is that such numbers aren't readily available. But from what I could find a few years ago I crunched some numbers and from what poor stats there are it seems that sky diving and opiod use were roughly the same risk (per event/use). Many other illicit drugs have rather low mortality rates, far lower than much more common recreational activities. LSD, psilocybin, and others are widely used and have relatively low death rates. Not that I'm advocating the use of these, but adults should be free to make informed decisions about their own lives, and paranoid attitudes about drugs are not helpful.
Similarly, to live is to deal with risk. Being informed is key. I know a couple of former skiers who would never have hit the slopes had they known the level of risk involved.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:How many recreational drug users have died in last 12 months (in BC) compared to those you mentioned.

Verum wrote:The problem is that such numbers aren't readily available. But from what I could find a few years ago I crunched some numbers and from what poor stats there are it seems that sky diving and opiod use were roughly the same risk (per event/use). Many other illicit drugs have rather low mortality rates, far lower than much more common recreational activities. LSD, psilocybin, and others are widely used and have relatively low death rates. last 12 months, I can increase it to last 3 years Not that I'm advocating the use of these, but adults should be free to make informed decisions about their own lives, and paranoid attitudes about drugs are not helpful.
Similarly, to live is to deal with risk. Being informed is key. I know a couple of former skiers who would never have hit the slopes had they known the level of risk involved.

If recreational drug users want to take that risk so be it, I feel for those left behind wondering why.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:How many recreational drug users have died in last 12 months (in BC) compared to those you mentioned.

Verum wrote:The problem is that such numbers aren't readily available. But from what I could find a few years ago I crunched some numbers and from what poor stats there are it seems that sky diving and opiod use were roughly the same risk (per event/use). Many other illicit drugs have rather low mortality rates, far lower than much more common recreational activities. LSD, psilocybin, and others are widely used and have relatively low death rates. Not that I'm advocating the use of these, but adults should be free to make informed decisions about their own lives, and paranoid attitudes about drugs are not helpful.

If recreational drug users want to take that risk so be it, I feel for those left behind wondering why.

Do you feel the same way about those who partake in other risky recreational activities? If not, what is different about drug use? Do you feel the same way about those who engage in other non-recreational risky behaviours?
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

Umm.. so when a junkie dies of an OD, does the family gather around and say "he died doing what he loved", like they do when a rock climber, skiier, etc dies? :200:
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

pieinthei wrote:Umm.. so when a junkie dies of an OD, does the family gather around and say "he died doing what he loved", like they do when a rock climber, skiier, etc dies? :200:

No, but many families who lose someone to risky recreational activities are also less than charitable, and sometimes are downright bitter.
Additionally, we don't outlaw alcohol consumption, over-eating, smoking, etc. even though the outcomes are often worse and I have yet to hear someone say of a victim of lung cancer that at least it was because they did something they loved doing.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I have question for recreational drug users??

Do you get an adrenaline rush when taking your drug of choice, like skydiver or mountain climber.
Or do you just get high from outside drug introduced to your body.

There is a huge difference
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

GordonH wrote:.

How do you know? It's obvious you've never done it yourself - you wouldn't be asking the question.

Every drug family produces a very unique experience. You've somehow managed to label them all as "geg high" while calling out an adrenaline rush as "very different". Clueless seems like an apt description here. Yet you sure seem to know the answers. :130:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:.

TylerM4 wrote:How do you know? It's obvious you've never done it yourself - you wouldn't be asking the question.

Every drug family produces a very unique experience. You've somehow managed to label them all as "geg high" while calling out an adrenaline rush as "very different". Clueless seems like an apt description here. Yet you sure seem to know the answers. :130: adrenaline is created within the body, not introduced from outside the body.

In my teens & 20s I did the adrenaline rush, you are correct on second part. I was never stupid enough to get into drugs or have the need to TylerM4, go right ahead and enjoy.

Added: have good evening everyone
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

Even if all the drugs are free. Scumbags still gonna need to steal. It is not like if we dope em to the gills they are all gonna go find jobs. No they gonna be too stoned for that. Im not sure what the upside to decriminalizing or handing out free drugs. Just going to create even more adicted souls. If u have gone through an adiction or seen some people go off the deep end. You know it can sneak up on you .

How would we decide who was a criminal.
It would really defeat all police work. Our community would totally fall apart within a few months. Look at Seattle.

Return to “B.C.”