BC Government Asking for You Input on Time Change...

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: BC Government Asking for You Input on Time Change...

Post by Omnitheo »

Not sure why the story posted doesn’t contain the link
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Glacier wrote:Please go fill out the form and tell them what you think within the next month. My personal preference is Daylight Saving Time year-round, but that could just be me.

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/daylightsavingtime/

Thanks Glacier, I'll visit soon.

DST year round - just like that old clock on the car stereo that I'm too lazy to change. :smt045
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

DST year round. I love shoveling snow in the dark morning hours! Serene and peaceful!
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I wanted the government to listen to my views on this topic so badly that for the purposes of the survey I identified as a transgender First Nations young person. They have no choice to take my views into account. It's part of my traditional knowledge and lived experience.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Har har Glacier. :biggrin:

Stay the same unless the neighbors change. If they change we should follow.
Don't waste time or money on any studies. For (insert deity here) sake.
No need for studies.
NDG is BIG on studies.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

OKkayak wrote:"I could care less" wasn't an option, so no vote from me :biggrin:

So, you care, then.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

So, approximately.

With PST on the shortest day of the year 21 Dec, we now have.... 7:53 AM Sunrise and 4:01 PM Sunset.

With DST year round that will be 8:53 AM and 5:01 PM on 21 Dec, that is a bit late for sunrise, but I like sunset at 5:01 PM.

The biggest difference to me is the longest day of the year 21 Jun :

If we remain on PST year round we would have 3:51 AM Sunrise and 8:10 PM Sunset. Seems a waste of sunshine in the morning, the neighbors are going to complain if you start cutting your lawn at 4:00 AM. With PDT, of course one hour later.

As I said I voted for remain on DST, but changing the clocks isn't a big deal. Every year there seems to be fewer that need changing with all the new tech devices.

I agree, though, if our neighbors go for remaining on DST we should do the same. For sure.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

JagXKR wrote:Har har Glacier. :biggrin:

Stay the same unless the neighbors change. If they change we should follow.
Don't waste time or money on any studies. For (insert deity here) sake.
No need for studies.
NDG is BIG on studies.

Exactly. We all know that if the Western States decide not to go ahead with any changes, then there is no way that B.C. would go it alone. So, why bother with a poll (unless Horgan figures it will make him look good) for BC residents.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote:So, approximately.

With PST on the shortest day of the year 21 Dec, we now have.... 7:53 AM Sunrise and 4:01 PM Sunset.

With DST year round that will be 8:53 AM and 5:01 PM on 21 Dec, that is a bit late for sunrise, but I like sunset at 5:01 PM.

The biggest difference to me is the longest day of the year 21 Jun :

If we remain on PST year round we would have 3:51 AM Sunrise and 8:10 PM Sunset. Seems a waste of sunshine in the morning, the neighbors are going to complain if you start cutting your lawn at 4:00 AM. With PDT, of course one hour later.

As I said I voted for remain on DST, but changing the clocks isn't a big deal. Every year there seems to be fewer that need changing with all the new tech devices.

I agree, though, if our neighbors go for remaining on DST we should do the same. For sure.

Unless you live somewhere like Silver Star, 70 Mile House, or Aspen Grove the sun will not rise and fall when you say.

At my house the sun sets just after 2:30 pm on Christmas day! If you live around Hope or Bella Coola, you might not even get any sunrise on on the shortest day of the year!

Living in valleys sucks in the winter.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:Unless you live somewhere like Silver Star, 70 Mile House, or Aspen Grove the sun will not rise and fall when you say.

At my house the sun sets just after 2:30 pm on Christmas day! If you live around Hope or Bella Coola, you might not even get any sunrise on on the shortest day of the year!

Living in valleys sucks in the winter.

I live in Summerland. Did you perhaps get a gift of sunglasses and you were trying them on ?

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/ ... &year=2018
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Reading further, actually the earliest sunset is on December 11th and the latest sunrise is on December 31st

Earliest is 3:58 PM and the latest sunrise is 7:54 AM

All this time I thought it was nice and easy the winter solstice is 21 December so that is the shortest day (which it is, 8:09:04) but the sunrise and sunsets don't coincide.

Learn something new every day.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm retired and don't give a damn what time it is (I don't even wear a watch anymore) and neither do the farmers!

It was supposed to save money/power during the war. Now who cares!
Last edited by Bsuds on Jun 25th, 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:Please go fill out the form and tell them what you think within the next month. My personal preference is Daylight Saving Time year-round, but that could just be me.

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/daylightsavingtime/

Don't do it it's a trap. :200:

The NDP is simply trolling for another excuse to conduct a "study" on our dime.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

oldtrucker wrote:Nope.
Simplest solution is almost always the correct answer.
Entire planet needs to go to Zulu time or GMT. It's just a number...Here in BC, people would be starting their day around 00:00 hrs.
Right now it is 06:32Z hrs at the time of this post. It is 06:32Z hrs everywhere on the planet.

and..... oldtrucker you are only 12 hours out. At the time you posted it was 1832 Hrs Zulu or 6:32 PM GMT

But you're on the right track.

I think we'd need some type of indicator for the local area, for example you call your friend in Australia, at the time above it would be 0432 AM local time. Easy calling your friend in England it's 7:32 PM. (GMT +1)

So for easy of use it would be nice to know the part of the day each area of the world was experiencing.

For us 13-1400 Hrs Zulu would be time to get up. Bedtime around 04-0600 Hrs Zulu.

We can't agree on changing the clocks twice a year ?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

oldtrucker wrote:Nope.
Simplest solution is almost always the correct answer.
Entire planet needs to go to Zulu time or GMT. It's just a number...Here in BC, people would be starting their day around 00:00 hrs.
Right now it is 06:32Z hrs at the time of this post. It is 06:32Z hrs everywhere on the planet.

I proposed an infinite number of time zones such that 12 noon was always due south no matter where you are standing. I thought I was making an original theory, but alas, it turns out this is how they used to do it. Nothing is new under the sun, I guess. It was only until the invention of the train (and thus standard train schedules) that they had to make time zones so people wouldn't miss their train rides.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”