BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby Omnitheo » Jul 10th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Pretty sure the government already knows how much taxes are on gasoline. Thus when they ask for an explanation of the high gas prices, they’re looking for the amounts beside taxation, rather than the companies just coming back and blaming tax and nothing else.

It’s like if you leave the house and come back and the kids have made a mess of it and you ask “explain why the house is a mess” and you want them to give a reason for the state of the house as a whole rather than them just firing back with “because your bedroom is messy!”
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
 
Posts: 6919
Likes: 11991 posts
Liked in: 5838 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby LordEd » Jul 10th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I think it's more they want to find somebody else to blame.
If you need to get posts deleted because your can't face your own words, perhaps your argument was poor then or poor now. (User profile -> Search user’s posts)

Smurf likes this post.
LordEd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3939
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2553 posts
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2008, 9:22 am

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby TimmyE » Jul 10th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Just headline grabbing. Nothing is going to become of it.
TimmyE
Board Meister
 
Posts: 628
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 169 posts
Joined: Jun 14th, 2008, 4:41 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby Veovis » Jul 10th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Omnitheo wrote:It’s like if you leave the house and come back and the kids have made a mess of it and you ask “explain why the house is a mess” and you want them to give a reason for the state of the house as a whole rather than them just firing back with “because your bedroom is messy!”


Sure, but if you pour gas in your living room light it on fire walk out through the front door and back in through the garage then yell at the kids "how did this dumpster fire start"....then you're talking Horgan style.

Your idea was very Horgan like as well...."who can we blame"

Smurf likes this post.
Veovis
Guru
 
Posts: 6448
Likes: 1175 posts
Liked in: 5257 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby waynetyea » Jul 16th, 2019, 12:16 am

pure price gouging. the more they charge here the less they can charge everywhere else in canada....make bc pay and subsidize the rest of canada... its time for bc to separate from the rest of canada... who wants to be treated like this for the next 10 generations not me and my kids any longer. then they can kiss our rear ends to get anything to market from our ports. a bcer

burnedatstake likes this post.
waynetyea
Fledgling
 
Posts: 155
Likes: 9 posts
Liked in: 33 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2006, 11:38 am

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 16th, 2019, 2:12 am

waynetyea wrote:pure price gouging. the more they charge here the less they can charge everywhere else in canada....make bc pay and subsidize the rest of canada... its time for bc to separate from the rest of canada... who wants to be treated like this for the next 10 generations not me and my kids any longer. then they can kiss our rear ends to get anything to market from our ports. a bcer


that would be fun. we can take a couple of the US states with us on the way out. create cascadia
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.

flamingfingers likes this post.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2107
Likes: 972 posts
Liked in: 493 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby Chyren » Jul 16th, 2019, 7:09 am

As I peruse this forum topic today I have come to the realization that it is a complete and accurate representation of the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" reality of Canada.

1) We want an investigation into gas prices!
2) We got an investigation but its just a dog and pony show!
3) Its the new elected party's fault!
4) Its the old elected party's fault!
5) Blame the Gas Company!
6) Blame the Government!

The reason that they (the gas companies) don't want their financial's shown is completely obvious. Competition. Any high school level math student can figure that out. They should stay private and only viewed by the committee investigating the issue.

IF there's a legal issue then they should announce the issues in their findings.

I even saw someone saying that there's a couple of cent different in the pumps in Kamloops and Valemount yet the "transportation" side of the funding equation is the same....I'll let you rethink that with a bit of a hint "the store that sells it can also jack up their prices as well"

High gas prices suck. We all live in a world where driving is vital to us. However, this will change as the world is quickly switching to EV vehicles and we are all changing our regular driving habits.

The clock is on the wall for the gas industry and you can even see it in how the oil governments of the world are once again hoarding it to get the prices up. That stored oil will eventually bring the world prices for crude down and Alberta should be preparing today for it as it happened just a few years ago with the price per barrel crash.

Lets hope this committee will get to the bottom of the issue that we all know the answer to already.
Chyren
Board Meister
 
Posts: 487
Likes: 42 posts
Liked in: 427 posts
Joined: Dec 30th, 2016, 9:45 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby Hurtlander » Jul 16th, 2019, 8:00 am

Chyren wrote:I even saw someone saying that there's a couple of cent different in the pumps in Kamloops and Valemount yet the "transportation" side of the funding equation is the same....I'll let you rethink that with a bit of a hint "the store that sells it can also jack up their prices as well"
.


There’s more to it than individual gas stations (the store) jacking up their prices as well.. When every single gas station in any given town or community is selling their gas at the exact same price, that’s called collusion. I’ve asked gas station owners about how they determine the price of gas, they claim that no matter whatever oil company flag they’re flying, the oil companies tell them what the retail price will be regardless of the wholesale price.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Guru
 
Posts: 9125
Likes: 8262 posts
Liked in: 10425 posts
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby GordonH » Jul 16th, 2019, 8:20 am

Chyren wrote:I even saw someone saying that there's a couple of cent different in the pumps in Kamloops and Valemount yet the "transportation" side of the funding equation is the same....I'll let you rethink that with a bit of a hint "the store that sells it can also jack up their prices as well"
.

Hurtlander wrote:There’s more to it than individual gas stations (the store) jacking up their prices as well.. When every single gas station in any given town or community is selling their gas at the exact same price, that’s called collusion. I’ve asked gas station owners about how they determine the price of gas, they claim that no matter whatever oil company flag they’re flying, the oil companies tell them what the retail price will be regardless of the wholesale price.


Breakdown of the pump price
Rack price is oil company share (set daily)
Taxes is governments share (set by government, usually yearly)
??? Who's share is missing then
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
 
Posts: 26396
Likes: 3403 posts
Liked in: 11172 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby gordon_as » Jul 17th, 2019, 6:15 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/26 ... ice-fixing
Liar Liar , pants on fire. Throw a gallon of his competitively priced gas on him to put them out.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3031
Likes: 34 posts
Liked in: 1195 posts
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 9:12 am

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby David1950 » Jul 18th, 2019, 7:30 am

So all the gas stations are the same price , however there is no price fixing ,hard to believe ! If you go to the US you will notice the gas stations have different prices , its called Competition . So how is it within minutes of one station in Canada moving its price up or down all the other stations adjust to the same price and that's Not Price Fixing ? Why are NDP not looking at their gas taxes as compared to other provinces such as Alberta , the Gouge continues what an absolute Joke !!!
David1950
 
Posts: 6
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 12 posts
Joined: Jan 28th, 2016, 6:36 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 18th, 2019, 4:21 pm

David1950 wrote:its called Competition . So how is it within minutes of one station in Canada moving its price up or down all the other stations adjust to the same price and that's Not Price Fixing ?


well you see......canada is a smaller more competitive market. which means that while it appears to have no competition it is actually competition for sameness.......
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2107
Likes: 972 posts
Liked in: 493 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby Bsuds » Jul 18th, 2019, 6:21 pm

screwed..jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your body is not a temple it is an amusement park...enjoy the ride!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 46570
Likes: 12574 posts
Liked in: 15905 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby swanny10 » Jul 18th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Well -most of The Gas Stations in BC are owned by Private Companies removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 19th, 2019, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cite sources for that type of remark, please
swanny10
 
Posts: 22
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 6 posts
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Re: BC Inquiry into gasoline pricing

Postby Hurtlander » Jul 19th, 2019, 8:02 am

GordonH wrote:Breakdown of the pump price
Rack price is oil company share (set daily)
Taxes is governments share (set by government, usually yearly)
??? Who's share is missing then


I think the oil companies get their share from more than just the rack price.. As I was told from a gas station owner, he was under a contractual obligation to sell his gas at the retail price that the oil company he was signed on with, dictated. How else can you explain every gas station putting their prices up or down, the exact same amount, within an hour of each other...
Another thing, gas station owners have told me their profit margin is only 2 cents per litre over delivery price, yet our local card-lock sells fuel at about 6-8 cents per litre less than the gas stations, you can bet the card-lock is still making a profit.

flamingfingers likes this post.
User avatar
Hurtlander
Guru
 
Posts: 9125
Likes: 8262 posts
Liked in: 10425 posts
Joined: Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests