RCMP fitness requirements?

Re: RCMP fitness requirements?

Postby JagXKR » Jul 14th, 2019, 10:09 am

You are missing something, all of you. There are many divisions and varying jobs in the RCMP. Some do not go out and walk/drive/cycle a beat. There are many that rarely go to crime scenes. And some that only go to investigate. Possibly wearing a vest at certain scenes is a requirement.

Looks like one of them in the blue shirt could be an investigator. Pretty sure that's not official dress code for a "beat" officer.
As for the weight, I know, first hand, someone near to that size who can touch their toes. I can't. :-X
Size does not always correlate to fitness.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1719 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 14th, 2019, 11:15 am

sobrohusfat wrote:Wouldn't be the first time minimum physical standard requirements were sacrificed at the altar of "equality & inclusivity"

But it doesn't matter

...until it does.

--bingo-- we have a winner
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7713 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 14th, 2019, 11:19 am

seewood wrote:Good point. If he does not have a side arm on the right hip, likely an auxiliary cop.
Regardless, Personally thinking a bit of a stretch to have someone that large in an occupation where physical exertion may be called upon to save yourself, co-worker or the public.

Well, yes, we can not see his right hip, so we can determine that he is not left-handed.

As for the beard, he doesn't look like he would qualify for an exclusion of dress-code due to religious beliefs.

Here is a copy from the RCMP dress code:
5. The following additional details apply to specific groups to accord with religious and spiritual practices and
public perceptions of a disciplined force:
a. Men (see Figure 2-2-1). Hair shall be taper-trimmed at the back, sides, and above the ears to blend with
the hair-style; be no more than 15 cm in length and sufficiently short that, when the hair is groomed and
headdress is removed, no hair shall touch the ears or fall below the top of the eyebrows; be no more than
4 cm in bulk at the top of the head, gradually decreasing to blend with the taper-trimmed sides and back;
and be kept free from the neck to a distance of 2.5 cm above the shirt collar. Taper trimmed square back
styles and shaving of all the hair on the head are permitted.
(1) Sideburns. Sideburns shall not extend below a line horizontally bisecting the ear, and shall
be squared off horizontally at the bottom edge and taper-trimmed to conform to the overall hair
style.
(2) Moustaches (see Figure 2-2-2). When moustaches are worn alone, the unshaven portion of the
face shall not extend outwards beyond the corners of the mouth. Moustaches shall be kept neatly
trimmed; not be greater than 2 cm in bulk; not extend below the corners of the mouth, not protrude
beyond the width of the face when fully extended horizontally and worn in a waxed, handlebar style.
A-DH-265-000/AG-001
2-2-2
(3) Beards (see Figure 2-2-2)
(a) Subject to procedures established by commanders of commands, permission to wear a beard
shall only be granted to all ranks who wear the naval uniform, wherever serving; all ranks
on strength of an infantry pioneer platoon; adherents of the Sikh religion (see Section 3);
and personnel, on the direction of a medical officer, subject to medical reassessment at
intervals not exceeding six months. Other personnel shall shave off their beards.
(b) Where beards are authorized, they shall be worn with a moustache; kept neatly trimmed,
especially on the lower neck and cheekbones; and not exceed 2.5 cm in bulk.
(c) Directives pertaining to the trimming of beards at Para 3(b) above and as illustrated in Figure
2-2-2 apply solely to members authorized to wear beards for other than medical reasons.
Members with medical chits are to follow the direction of their medical chits and if excused
shaving will not shave the lower neck and/or cheekbones. Unit will strictly enforce the
requirement to monitor ongoing cases at no less than 6 month intervals.
(d) When a beard is grown or removed, identification documents shall be replaced in accordance
with security regulations.

The regs. were only recently changed last month. That beard is more than 1 month old.

RCMP allows officers to grow beards
Members can now wear beards and goatees, as long as they’re neatly groomed

ANDREA DEMEERJun. 19, 2019 11:54 a.m.CANADA & WORLDNEWS

The face of the RCMP is literally changing – and it’s a bit hairy.

Last month, Canada’s national police service changed its grooming policy, allowing all its members to grow beards for the first time.

“The updated policy promotes a culture of respect, reflecting the needs of an increasingly diverse workforce, while maintaining high professional and safety standards,” said national spokesperson Sgt. Tania Vaughan out of in Ottawa.

Officers may now wear facial hair of between 0.5 cm and 2.5 cm in length and bulk, provided it is neatly groomed.

The previous policy, written in 1975, required all members to be clean shaven unless they had a religious or medical exemption, or an operational requirement.

“It was time to refresh and review the policies using a modern lens,” said Vaughan.

The issue is not without controversy.

In 2017, an RCMP officer in Moncton, N.B., was removed from regular duty for growing a goatee.

That same year, other members grew beards as part of a campaign to draw attention to their working conditions.

Vaughan said members’ response to the new policy, which came into effect May 22, has been “overwhelmingly positive.”

The rules also contain updated uniform regulations, including allowing for Indigenous items to be worn as part of ceremonial dress.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4744 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 14th, 2019, 11:30 am

As for the weight, I know, first hand, someone near to that size who can touch their toes. I can't.

Oh....I understand and can empathize with your remarks. I went from 240# to 175#. It is impossible for me to pull the weeds out of my gardens, BUT, if a doughnut fell off my plate and hit the floor, I can scoop that baby up before the "5 second rule" runs out.

That officer could also have spent the last 15 years in the evidence lock-up, or surveillance, or cyber-crimes.

We don't know for sure, and I hope that he never sees this forum.

mexi cali likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Jul 14th, 2019, 11:31 am

alanjh595 wrote:The regs. were only recently changed last month. That beard is more than 1 month old.

Almost 2 months ago. May 22 according to the article you posted. If he's Italian or Greek, the beard is only a few hours old [icon_lol2.gif]
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4308 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jul 14th, 2019, 11:43 am

I've seen wrestlers a lot bigger than that guy win championships.

He may not be a sprinter, but he can always hop in the car and run down the perp, plus that weight is useful for pinning down crooks until they are handcuffed. [icon_lol2.gif]
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

Ken7 likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7728 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Jul 14th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Fitness requirements for the RCMP are secondary to what has ruined a career in this profession and what we have read about that is happening in the RCMP over the longest time...…….."affirmative action"...……..the hiring of the ill equipped mentally and physically to satisfy the bleeding hearts. If you are a "white" male today, good luck getting hired by the RCMP. Just witnessed someone getting turned down over the absolutely most weak reason...…….PLUS, other long-term officers have agreed about what is happening.

………...if Trudeau has his way, it will be nothing but "refugees" from some of the most corrupt countries in the world in the RCMP.

the truth likes this post.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1255 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 14th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:I've seen wrestlers a lot bigger than that guy win championships.

He may not be a sprinter, but he can always hop in the car and run down the perp, plus that weight is useful for pinning down crooks until they are handcuffed. [icon_lol2.gif]

ADD the demoralizing effect on the suspect that he was caught and arrested by a fat cop. The suspect can't even tell the story of his arrest to fellow cel-mates without being laughed off the tier.

When this officer receives a message from fellow officers telling him to "sit on him" until they get there, he will, and the suspect may need medical assistance if back-up takes more than 2 minutes to arrive due to lack of lung capacity.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby t76turbo » Jul 16th, 2019, 10:21 am

I was told early in life to never run from a fat cop. Your chances of getting shot go through the roof!

Guess that fat cop could also ague that his life may have been endangered. Fear of a heart failure made him draw his sidearm and fire.
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.

2 people like this post.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 423 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jul 16th, 2019, 11:06 am

GordonH wrote:So out of the 4 officers in the OP link picture, which one would a someone fleeing crime scene have the best chance of getting away (on foot/running).
Picture of RCMP officers.png

If he did catch you and tripped and fell on top of you, now what!! LOL

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3089 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 16th, 2019, 11:22 am

Stress can wreck you over time.
Probably have a harder time getting a CDL, but who knows there are some big folks that are oddly healthy.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2442 posts

Postby Leifer » Jul 16th, 2019, 12:18 pm

I don't usually like the whole "fat shaming" deal.....but that member is probably circling around being morbidly obese.

There is just no excuse for a law officer to be in that kind of condition.

Allot of us do high stress jobs while ridding a desk all day.
You moderate your caloric intake and hit the gym 4-5 times a week for an hour....it is not rocket science.

You only get one corpse to sling around in this life.....best take care of it better than this guy.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 1148 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 16th, 2019, 12:38 pm

I understand why you assume job stress but sometimes it's out of the job.
Dr. & nurses have a pretty high number that look like trainwrecks, I don't know the numbers but of what I've seen it seems most don't practice what they preach.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2442 posts

Postby Chyren » Jul 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Can you imagine if that police officer was an asset to his community, supported local sports clubs, volunteered his time, and was an all around good husband and father to his kids? Imagine how bad I'd feel if I fat shamed him on some forum because my real agenda is hating cops....oh wait....that is the point of the whole thread isn't it?

Loki2u likes this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 407 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

t76turbo wrote:I was told early in life to never run from a fat cop. Your chances of getting shot go through the roof!

Guess that fat cop could also ague that his life may have been endangered. Fear of a heart failure made him draw his sidearm and fire.

It is still undetermined if this uniformed civilian even had a gun to point. Judging from the photo, he is more likely an AUXILIARY officer and just there for traffic control and/or crime scene preservation.
alanjh595
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.