"Beautiful" British Columbia

Re: "Beautiful" British Columbia

Postby Glacier » Jul 16th, 2019, 7:37 am

Drip_Torch wrote:
bigtimeoperations wrote:Never been to Haida Gwaii, but I'd say its probably not quite as nice due to the rain they receive.

Goretex – so much more than just a hipster's dinner jacket.

Sandspit on Haida Gwaii only gets 48mm of precipitation in July. That's the same as Armstrong, and less than you'd find in the west Kootenays.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12487 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Jul 16th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Glacier wrote:Sandspit on Haida Gwaii only gets 48mm of precipitation in July. That's the same as Armstrong, and less than you'd find in the west Kootenays.

July? :135:

Hang on a sec... I guess that means you didn't designate the Prairies as just "ugly after fall". :132:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1165 posts

Postby bernie428 » Jul 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Mountains aren't everything.
I drove across Canada a few times.
While parts of the Prairies aren't exciting, Ugly AF isn't what I would call it.
Deserts, valleys, lakes, beautiful skies, rolling hills, super nice towns and people.
I'm sure they will get along fine without you ;-)

vegas1500 likes this post.
bernie428
Board Meister

Liked in: 288 posts

Postby Glacier » Jul 17th, 2019, 7:18 am

bernie428 wrote:Mountains aren't everything.
While parts of the Prairies aren't exciting, Ugly AF isn't what I would call it.
Deserts, valleys, lakes, beautiful skies, rolling hills, super nice towns and people.

I know that the prairies are beautiful. The entire planet is beautiful. They say that all women are beautiful too, just that some more than others.

I used my scale to inject some humour. Beauty is relative, and the relative differences are fairly objective.

Here is a little experiement for you:
1) Open up Goolge Earth Pro.
2) Zoom to Big White.
3) Click on the "peak".
4) Click on "fly on a Tour."
5) Be amazed at the view.
BigWhite.jpg

6) Repeat with with peaks at similar elevations in the Coast Mountains or Kootenay Mountains or Rocky Mountains.
huckleberry.jpg

7) Be so amazed by the view that the beautiful view at Big White is "meh" by comparison.
huckberrymountain.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12487 posts

Postby Not PC » Jul 17th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Every area of Canada has a unique beauty. Just enjoy it.

I've been coast to coast (driving), and have never tired of the views. Different seasons, time of day, all create different lighting, and conditions.

People from all over the world spend a heck of a lot of money to see where we live each day.

3 people like this post.
Not PC

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Probably a weird thing to miss from the flatlands...-the power of the thunderstorms in the summer.
The ones that have multiple lightning strikes every second. The ones that reach horizon to horizon and rumble doesn't stop all night.
We don't get storms like that here... or any storms, really-ever. This is the most windless place I've lived.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1407 posts

Postby bernie428 » Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:11 pm

Glacier wrote:
bernie428 wrote:Mountains aren't everything.

I know that the prairies are beautiful. The entire planet is beautiful. They say that all women are beautiful too, just that some more than others.

I used my scale to inject some humour. Beauty is relative, and the relative differences are fairly objective.

Here is a little experiement for you:
1) Open up Goolge Earth Pro.
2) Zoom to Big White.
3) Click on the "peak".
4) Click on "fly on a Tour."
5) Be amazed at the view.
BigWhite.jpg

6) Repeat with with peaks at similar elevations in the Coast Mountains or Kootenay Mountains or Rocky Mountains.
huckleberry.jpg

7) Be so amazed by the view that the beautiful view at Big White is "meh" by comparison.
huckberrymountain.jpg

I would still disagree with Meh, but UAF was a bit strong :-)

Glacier likes this post.
bernie428
Board Meister

Liked in: 288 posts

Postby OllyV » Jul 23rd, 2019, 1:17 pm

*removed*
Last edited by WalterWhite on Jul 23rd, 2019, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal Attack
Thank you God for making me an atheist.
OllyV
Board Meister

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jul 24th, 2019, 7:02 am

The ability of people to make grand pronouncements, without having been there is pathetic. No, it doesn't rain all year round in Haida Gwaii. Saskatchewan has uncountable northern lakes, plus the Cypress Hills (but that means leaving the Trans Canada highway). Google Hunlen Falls and you'll be surprised that it's right here in BC. The MEH area on the map is filled with beautiful places. Wait...... most of Canada is.

4 people like this post.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1550 posts

Postby dreamon » Jul 24th, 2019, 10:44 am

Having been to many parts of BC including far flung places like Atlin, up and down the Alaskan Highway lots, Telegraph Creek, Rupert, Stewart/Hyder, I would have to agree with your meterologicalesque chart.
I used to fly myself back and forth between NE BC and the Okanagan, crossing the Rockies was always spectacular. The east of PG down to Kamloops area pretty dull from the air.

Glacier likes this post.
dreamon
Fledgling

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby bb49 » Jul 27th, 2019, 11:31 am

dreamon wrote:Having been to many parts of BC including far flung places like Atlin, up and down the Alaskan Highway lots, Telegraph Creek, Rupert, Stewart/Hyder, I would have to agree with your meterologicalesque chart.
I used to fly myself back and forth between NE BC and the Okanagan, crossing the Rockies was always spectacular. The east of PG down to Kamloops area pretty dull from the air.

Hwy 16 between Terrace and Rupert is beautiful, when it's not *bleep* down rain.
Telegraph Creek and Stewart/Hyde are awesome for mountain scenery.

But you don't need mountains to be overwhelmed by nature.
Hwy 93 heading south out of Twin Falls and past Wells blew me away. I was on my motorcycle, put the cruise on and couldn't believe how incredibly beautiful it was: miles and miles of straight highway in a low, wide valley, creating small hills and seeing the highway disappear way off in the distance.
I grew up in northern BC, worked in the bush and saw more mountains and trees then I care to remember. Sometimes it's nice to see the other half.
Diversity is our Burden
bb49

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby squash junky » Jul 28th, 2019, 10:46 am

Glacier wrote:Having travelled all over the province, I'd say it's a beautiful place to live, but not all areas are equally beautiful. Here is my quick and dirty guide.

BeautifulBC.jpg

That got a chuckle. Thank you

Glacier likes this post.
squash junky
Fledgling

Liked in: 71 posts

Previous

Return to B.C.