Bella Bella Oil spill

Bella Bella Oil spill

Postby Ken7 » Jul 16th, 2019, 7:26 am

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/2 ... 24952.html

Did anyone else hear the news this am regarding this matter?

I was listening to the Chief Mayilyn Slett Heitsuk Nation Chief Counsel. Wow, the impact almost sounds like they starved as a result of the spill. The social impact on their people was horrendous.

I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing when she spoke. What do they do when the fish season is done?

If you have a opportunity listen to the news and her.

2 people like this post.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3090 posts

Re: Bella Bella Oil spill

Postby Brushy Bill » Jul 16th, 2019, 8:23 am

I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing when she spoke
good to hear your filter is working
Brushy Bill
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby DarbyD » Jul 16th, 2019, 11:20 am

Ken7 wrote:https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/10/24/bella-bella-oil-spill_n_12624952.html

Did anyone else hear the news this am regarding this matter?

I was listening to the Chief Mayilyn Slett Heitsuk Nation Chief Counsel. Wow, the impact almost sounds like they starved as a result of the spill. The social impact on their people was horrendous.

I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing when she spoke. What do they do when the fish season is done?

If you have a opportunity listen to the news and her.

I have contacts in that area. What do you mean when the fish season is done? These people's food and economy relies on more than a seasonal fishery, but it makes life harder for them when a food and economy source they have regularly relied on is decimated.
They comes,
They goes.
DarbyD

Liked in: 114 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jul 16th, 2019, 11:26 am

DarbyD wrote:I have contacts in that area. What do you mean when the fish season is done? These people's food and economy relies on more than a seasonal fishery, but it makes life harder for them when a food and economy source they have regularly relied on is decimated.

Help me with it. When salmon are spawning, they are not fishing, netting etc, obviously there is a time of year that fishing is not done.

Further more the way she spoke it is like that was the only food source they have. Please, I can't imagine every indigenous person in that region, only eats fish.

She was going on about it like they all had to pack and move as a result.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel this is unacceptable, however as I say some of what she stated was unbelievable.

Glacier likes this post.
Ken7
Guru

Postby bob vernon » Jul 16th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Just leftist whining. If she isn't happy here, she should go back to where she came from.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1550 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jul 16th, 2019, 6:15 pm

bob vernon wrote:Just leftist whining. If she isn't happy here, she should go back to where she came from.

I'm just not sure on this one, sounds like they want more money.

She makes one think they all only eat out of this water way, they must not have any grocery stores or KFC stores there. I have not googled it but really, you are no longer nomads of North America. You no longer ride horses, shoot buffalo and eat only wildlife.

I'm stuck on this one after hearing her...
Ken7
Guru

Postby Ken7 » Jul 16th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Fined 2.9 Million dollars for the spill.
Ken7
Guru

Postby Smurf » Jul 17th, 2019, 7:32 am

I think this was no doubt a tragedy, but do agree a bit with Ken7. The woman speaking on the news last night seemed a little overboard. I forget the actual words but she kept talking about it being their waters and the penalties not being enough according to their traditional laws. I did not even realize that they had petroleum products and motor boats centuries ago when these traditions were set up. Sure they could have evolved but that must have been long after the white man came. Somehow how I believe these so called traditions are becoming a way to get what they want more that complete facts about the past.

Don't get me wrong I am sure that they were negatively affected in their everyday lives as was everyone and everything in the area. I just don't quite believe all their claims in some of these cases. Sort of too convenient in my mind. I find it hard to say what I want to without belittling the spill.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6618 posts

Postby Ken7 » Jul 17th, 2019, 8:01 am

Smurf wrote:I think this was no doubt a tragedy, but do agree a bit with Ken7. The woman speaking on the news last night seemed a little overboard. I forget the actual words but she kept talking about it being their waters and the penalties not being enough according to their traditional laws. I did not even realize that they had petroleum products and motor boats centuries ago when these traditions were set up. Sure they could have evolved but that must have been long after the white man came. Somehow how I believe these so called traditions are becoming a way to get what they want more that complete facts about the past.

Don't get me wrong I am sure that they were negatively affected in their everyday lives as was everyone and everything in the area. I just don't quite believe all their claims in some of these cases. Sort of too convenient in my mind. I find it hard to say what I want to without belittling the spill.

Can you believe still to date, they can not fish n these waters?? I'm calling BS on that also. IF KFC had a issue with chicken two years ago, would they eat there today?
Ken7
Guru

Postby Glacier » Jul 17th, 2019, 8:05 am

While the First Nations do hunt and fish, most of what they consume comes from the store the modern way. Her response was overboard (no boat pun intended). There was other fishing spots they can use off the other islands.

That said, glad to see the company got fined.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12526 posts

Postby Carrs Landing Viking » Jul 17th, 2019, 11:14 am

Good grief, a report from 2016!, and oil spilling from a sunken tugboat .

Some people need to get on with life. :130:

2 people like this post.
Carrs Landing Viking
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 1402 posts

Postby Brass Monkey » Jul 17th, 2019, 8:02 pm

The Heitsuk First Nation harvest all kinds of marine life...not just fish, and not every species of marine life is in season at the same time..the whole year is filled with different harvests, thats how they've survived for thousands of years.

The only people in the wrong are those who dumped oil in the water.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Liked in: 305 posts

Postby t76turbo » Jul 21st, 2019, 4:34 pm

In that case the company fined should pay their debt to Heitsuk Nation with fish and other seafood.
Reimburse province for cleanup costs with $.
Accidents happen, and responsibilities fall onto insurers to compensate.
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.

twobits likes this post.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 424 posts

Return to B.C.