Welcome to Vancouver - NOT

Welcome to Vancouver - NOT

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 23rd, 2019, 4:04 am

Teens Visiting Vancouver Were Apparently Assaulted For Not Speaking English

A group of teenagers visiting Canada had a horrifying welcome while onboard public transit. A group of Brazilian teenagers were assaulted on a Vancouver bus, and it's reportedly all because they weren't speaking English. Many people are horrified that something like this would happen.

Lauren Boothby, Web Editor and Reporter for NEWS 1130, was a witness to this encounter. She posted photos and videos of the incident on her Twitter on Monday evening, and explained what had happened in a series of tweets.

"I just witnessed a racist assault by this woman on a teenage girl who was visiting Canada from Portugal. She smashed her backpack into the teen’s face as she was getting off the bus. She did it because she wasn’t speaking English," she wrote in the first tweet.

Balance of article w/video
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/bc/vanc ... tion-video
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7679 posts

Re: Welcome to Vancouver - NOT

Postby OKkayak » Jul 23rd, 2019, 9:12 am

I don't get people like that. Is her life that pathetic that she's so concerned about what language other people are speaking to each other? Seriously.

The cultural diversity is what makes Vancouver so awesome in the first place.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

3 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4308 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

she's mental health for sure.........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7713 posts

Postby bb49 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 7:04 pm

These teenagers are fortunate they didn't get off a bus in the DTES. If they had their view of Vancouver would have been just as bad or probably even worse.
Diversity is our Burden
bb49

Liked in: 87 posts

Postby Mark1111 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 8:05 pm

Just another poorly parented problem child. Same as all the *bleep* we all grew up with. Nothing specifically racist here if I were to address that. Just trying to impress her friends and probably dumb as a hammer.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
Mark1111
Board Meister

Liked in: 412 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jul 23rd, 2019, 8:28 pm

A few years ago I took the Vancouver transit system for a day, and if memory serves me correctly I was one of the very few English speaking people.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 511 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Jul 24th, 2019, 10:12 am

Its sad to think that this is becoming more acceptable and common. I can't help to think that some of this has to do with resentment festering due to unaffordable housing and the real estate industry creating FOMO (fear of missing out) and pumping prices higher with statements such as "the Chinese are coming".

I hope the rest of the trip for these students went well, and that they realise that one person does not exemplify Canadian values and acceptance.

Jmfva likes this post.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Liked in: 324 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jul 24th, 2019, 10:41 am

bb49 wrote:These teenagers are fortunate they didn't get off a bus in the DTES. If they had their view of Vancouver would have been just as bad or probably even worse.

The girl that assaulted the teen looked like she came from E Hastings. What a cow.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

OKkayak likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4368 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jul 24th, 2019, 10:41 am

Mark1111 wrote:Just another poorly parented problem child. Same as all the *bleep* we all grew up with. Nothing specifically racist here if I were to address that. Just trying to impress her friends and probably dumb as a hammer.

That's an insult to hammers.
mexi cali
Guru

Postby mexi cali » Jul 24th, 2019, 10:44 am

stuphoto wrote:A few years ago I took the Vancouver transit system for a day, and if memory serves me correctly I was one of the very few English speaking people.

What's yer point? I can almost guarantee you that the vast majority of "non English as a first language" people you run into in Vancouver and area speak way better English than you do Mandarin or Farsi or Punjabi or Portugese………….
mexi cali
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Jul 24th, 2019, 11:25 am

AlienSoldier wrote:Its sad to think that this is becoming more acceptable and common.

I don't see it becoming more acceptable.
AlienSoldier wrote:I can't help to think that some of this has to do with resentment festering due to unaffordable housing and the real estate industry creating FOMO (fear of missing out) and pumping prices higher with statements such as "the Chinese are coming".

The only thing it has to do with is ignorance, plain and simple.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby AlienSoldier » Jul 24th, 2019, 11:32 am

OKkayak wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Its sad to think that this is becoming more acceptable and common.

I don't see it becoming more acceptable.
AlienSoldier wrote:I can't help to think that some of this has to do with resentment festering due to unaffordable housing and the real estate industry creating FOMO (fear of missing out) and pumping prices higher with statements such as "the Chinese are coming".

The only thing it has to do with is ignorance, plain and simple.

To your first point, I see it happening more and more all over Canada.

To your second point, all you have to do is look around at how many threads in this forum blame Asians for "buying up everything" in Canada. Even though report after report shows its less than 5%.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Postby OKkayak » Jul 24th, 2019, 11:42 am

AlienSoldier wrote:To your first point, I see it happening more and more all over Canada.

Doesn't mean its more accepted.
AlienSoldier wrote:To your second point, all you have to do is look around at how many threads in this forum blame Asians for "buying up everything" in Canada. Even though report after report shows its less than 5%.

Metro Vancouver's population base is pretty close to half Asian background, I'm pretty sure that they're buying more than 5%. Regardless, accosting someone speaking another language in a conversation you're not part of is ignorance.

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby AlienSoldier » Jul 24th, 2019, 12:32 pm

OKkayak wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:To your first point, I see it happening more and more all over Canada.

Doesn't mean its more accepted.
AlienSoldier wrote:To your second point, all you have to do is look around at how many threads in this forum blame Asians for "buying up everything" in Canada. Even though report after report shows its less than 5%.

Metro Vancouver's population base is pretty close to half Asian background, I'm pretty sure that they're buying more than 5%. Regardless, accosting someone speaking another language in a conversation you're not part of is ignorance.

Half Asian as in those that are born here? So you mean Canadian right?
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Postby OKkayak » Jul 24th, 2019, 12:35 pm

AlienSoldier wrote:Half Asian as in those that are born here? So you mean Canadian right?

Ignorant people don’t care where someone was born, that’s why they’re ignorant. Again, her behaviour has no excuse.

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to B.C.