Speed enforcement cameras set to return on Monday

Speed enforcement cameras set to return on Monday

Postby Glacier » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:24 pm

The only two cameras in the interior will be in Kelowna.

• Cooper Road & Harvey Avenue
  • Banks Road & Highway 97 North

By contrast, Abbotsford only gets 1, Nanaimo only gets 1, North Vancouver, and Richmond gets 1.

Also, Greater Victoria, West Vancouver, Chillwack, Kamloops, Prince George, and Rock Creek combined get a big fat ZERO!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5228439

Starting Monday, drivers in B.C. will see new automated speed enforcement cameras rolled out at certain intersections across the province.

The first five new cameras will be activated Monday, and Colin Hynes, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Public Safety, says the remaining 30 will be installed in a phased approach wrapping up next spring.
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12464 posts

Re: Speed enforcement cameras set to return on Monday

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:32 pm

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 29th, 2019, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 678 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jul 30th, 2019, 9:29 am

I am surprised they aren't setting one up at Spall and 97, since it's always on the news for accidents.

Before anyone blames the provincial government, I believe they only install the cameras when the community requests it.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 496 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 30th, 2019, 10:13 am

top secret info people, if your not speeding you will not get a ticket, so no its not a tax grab
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

3 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7688 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jul 30th, 2019, 10:15 am

the truth wrote:so no its not a tax grab

Wrong, as has been pointed out in the other 100 threads on the topic.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4217 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jul 30th, 2019, 10:28 am

the truth wrote:top secret info people, if your not speeding you will not get a ticket, so no its not a tax grab

I suppose you can say the same thing as lottery tickets.
It's a tax on the stupid.

2 people like this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 496 posts

Postby Veovis » Jul 30th, 2019, 11:09 am

stuphoto wrote:I am surprised they aren't setting one up at Spall and 97, since it's always on the news for accidents.

Before anyone blames the provincial government, I believe they only install the cameras when the community requests it.

I thought I saw road signs at Spall stating there was a camera there.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 4702 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Jul 30th, 2019, 12:12 pm

stuphoto wrote:I suppose you can say the same thing as lottery tickets.
It's a tax on the stupid.

i suppose by that logic if people are aware of these cameras in these places and they speed - they are also questionable mental ability.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 492 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jul 30th, 2019, 12:47 pm

stuphoto wrote:I am surprised they aren't setting one up at Spall and 97, since it's always on the news for accidents.

Veovis wrote:
I thought I saw road signs at Spall stating there was a camera there.

There are several intersection in town that have rotating red light cameras. They are moved from one spot to another on a regular basis. These are not the speed cameras that are being installed under this program and have been around for quite awhile.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

Veovis likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12984 posts

Postby spooker » Jul 30th, 2019, 1:14 pm

OKkayak wrote:

Wrong, as has been pointed out in the other 100 threads on the topic.

I'm going to work from the idea that "tax grab" and "cash grab" are synonymous in this case ... people complain that we don't have enough enforcement to keep people safe in society, they want more officers ... yet hiring more officers isn't seen as a "cash grab" ... these cameras provide a very specific enforcement service at a much more reasonable cost than adding a full-time officer to the mix ... they only penalize people who are breaking the laws regarding speeds allowed ... if you're willing to risk your wallet by speeding when there might be a traffic services officer around what is the difference to doing the same when there is a speed camera around?
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

4 people like this post.
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 976 posts

Postby GordonH » Jul 30th, 2019, 9:42 pm

OKkayak wrote:Wrong, as has been pointed out in the other 100 threads on the topic.

spooker wrote:I'm going to work from the idea that "tax grab" and "cash grab" are synonymous in this case ... people complain that we don't have enough enforcement to keep people safe in society, they want more officers ... yet hiring more officers isn't seen as a "cash grab" ... these cameras provide a very specific enforcement service at a much more reasonable cost than adding a full-time officer to the mix ... they only penalize people who are breaking the laws regarding speeds allowed ... if you're willing to risk your wallet by speeding when there might be a traffic services officer around what is the difference to doing the same when there is a speed camera around?

Well some truly believe exceeding the posted speed limit is a right, that should only be dealt by a actual police officer and not a camera.
I have absolutely no problem hiring a whole lot more police officers to patrol our highways, even though it's much more efficiently to use cameras.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bsuds » Jul 31st, 2019, 5:52 am

GordonH wrote:I have absolutely no problem hiring a whole lot more police officers to patrol our highways, even though it's much more efficiently to use cameras.

Put them on commission. :130:

southy likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby liisgo » Jul 31st, 2019, 8:12 am

[/quote]

Put them on commission. :130:[/quote]

Just maybe there lays the answer to our high cost, deaths and damage, on our roadways.
The system of policing is not working, as well as any of those camara's.
That's all we have? camara's, that only goes after one part of the problem with respect to our drivers.
Lets start a whole new, separate, identity, that only focuses on traffic violations. Across the board, non signals, speeding, fail to stop, putting on make up, texting, etc.
Hammer them all, That and only this will clean up the mess and make a difference.
Installing a few camara's at a few spots will not make any difference over all. Its a "cop" out. A political move, with in their confined political abilities to make it look like they are doing something.
Wanna make a difference? Start having unmarked, patrols issuing tickets non stop, all day and night long to everyone breaking a rule. And if it,s Commission or revenue directed so be it. :130:

Bsuds likes this post.
liisgo
Fledgling

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jul 31st, 2019, 8:18 am

I'm for speed cameras, but they can't substitute for a visible police presence.
Why unmarked? impatient idiots driving dangerously to make their way around those driving within the law won't respond to cameras, they do respond to marked police vehicles either parked or riding along a route.

At a point speeding becomes a danger but i'm only guessing its the *bleep* doing dangerous manuvers & accelerating are slowing quickly are a bigger problem.

2 people like this post.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2415 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jul 31st, 2019, 8:22 am

liisgo wrote:Lets start a whole new, separate, identity, that only focuses on traffic violations. Across the board, non signals, speeding, fail to stop, putting on make up, texting, etc.
Hammer them all, That and only this will clean up the mess and make a difference.

Exactly! If you are caught using your phone while driving there should be no fine you should lose your phone on the spot!

The only exception would be if you are calling 911 for an emergency.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Next

Return to B.C.