DarbyD
Übergod

West Kelowna's Ben Stewart is Out of the BC Liberal caucus

Post by DarbyD »

Interesting, didn't see this coming!
https://thebreaker.news/news/ben-stewart-out/
August 1, 2019
Bob Mackin
EXCLUSIVE: Kelowna West’s Ben Stewart is out of the BC Liberal caucus.
theBreaker.news understands there was an emergency conference call for caucus members in which they were informed that the MLA in the BC Liberal stronghold has departed because of a matter related to an Elections BC investigation that involves a donation from his constituency assistant.

Stewart’s departure means the BC Liberals are down to 41 seats, the same as the governing NDP, which has the support of the three Green MLAs in a confidence and supply agreement that helped topple the BC Liberals in June 2017.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: West Kelowna's Ben Stewart is Out of the BC Liberal cauc

Post by stuphoto »

That is too bad,
Although I don't agree with his party, I do think that he is one of the better politicians in the province, and does what he thinks is right.
I hope he runs as an independent.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Good for Ben Stewart. He's an honest and honourable man so I'm not at all surprised that he did the right thing to voluntarily step away from the Liberal caucus while Elections BC investigates the issue.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

is he stepping aside so christy clark can have his seat again
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

voice of reason wrote:is he stepping aside so christy clark can have his seat again

Although I disagree with his decision there, I still think he was doing what he thought was the best thing for the province.
westbankkid
Übergod

What has Ben Stewart done???

Post by westbankkid »

What has Ben Stewart done that he has to resign the Liberal Party till it is settled. Sounds quite serious. Hs constituents need to know..

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... ves-caucus
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What has Ben Stewart done???

he is probably stepping aside so christy can have his seat again
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

voice of reason wrote:he is probably stepping aside so christy can have his seat again

I sure as hell hope not. lol
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Well he's an honorable man according to the article....lol
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

goalie wrote:Well he's an honorable man according to the article....lol

quails gate probably paid for an article on okanagan edge for ben stewart to get that glowing article about their owner
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

goalie wrote:Well he's an honorable man according to the article....lol

[icon_lol2.gif] He is a politician - there is no such thing as being "Honorable" in that arena - it's a term they themselves "coined" to fool the public into thinking that's what they are - "Honest".
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
spooker

Post by spooker »

voice of reason wrote:he is probably stepping aside so christy can have his seat again

He's just leaving the Liberals ... not his seat in the assembly ... he'll be an independant like Plecas is for now ...

The investigation seems to be about campaign financing (surprise?)
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Being discussed here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82737
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

sounds like a whole lot of nothing anyways...or you would have the NDP all over it for sure...and its a smart move...go as independent and the NDP wont have anything to say like "calls for resignation" "how dare the Liberals let him continue" etc etc.

probably some audit...thats about it...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And as for this 'individual (that) is pursuing it', what, exactly, is that all about?

Mr. Shaw has more:

...Stewart stepped away from caucus last week after a constituency assistant complained to Elections B.C., alleging being forced to donate approximately $1,225 on Stewart’s behalf to the B.C. Liberal Party. That amount is near the personal maximum under B.C.’s new donation law, also described as the top-tier “Founders’ Club” level for B.C. Liberal Party members...

Hmmmmm...

So, a staffer to Stewart complains to Elections BC about being forced to make a donation to the BC Liberals on Stewart's behalf and then, suddenly, Mr. Stewart acts 'voluntarily'.

Sure thing.

But here's the real question...

Who 'forced' the staffer to make the donation in the first place given the following:

...The B.C. Liberal Party confirmed Thursday it had refunded the donation in March after the constituency assistant contacted the party and asked for the money back...

Gosh.

Kinda seems like maybe there was very little at all that was truly voluntary in this entire process.

http://pacificgazette.blogspot.com/
Chill

Return to “B.C.”