You tell me what's wrong with this picture !!

You tell me what's wrong with this picture !!

Postby buteman » Aug 2nd, 2019, 4:43 am

My wife and I are retired Canadians living on a fixed income, at present we pay $ 75.00 per month MSP premiums ,,, just can't figure it out why students from any country can settle in B.C. and only pay $ 37.50 per month for the same coverage ,,
buteman
Fledgling

Liked in: 119 posts

Re: You tell me what's wrong with this picture !!

Postby Whyme2 » Aug 2nd, 2019, 5:17 am

buteman wrote:My wife and I are retired Canadians living on a fixed income, at present we pay $ 75.00 per month MSP premiums ,,, just can't figure it out why students from any country can settle in B.C. and only pay $ 37.50 per month for the same coverage ,,

Premium rates for MSP are based on income. End of story sorry.

2 people like this post.
Whyme2
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 487 posts

Postby johnhenry » Aug 2nd, 2019, 6:32 am

The NDP has promised us that there will be no more premiums in the near future. Hang in there.
Words out of your mouth are like bullets out of a gun.
Once they are out, you can't take them back.
johnhenry
Übergod

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby southy » Aug 2nd, 2019, 6:36 am

johnhenry wrote:The NDP has promised us that there will be no more premiums in the near future. Hang in there.

[icon_lol2.gif]

2 people like this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 990 posts

Postby dogspoiler » Aug 2nd, 2019, 6:43 am

Just like income tax was a temporary measure in WW 2.
I cast my pearls before swine

3 people like this post.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2869 posts

Postby Scrobins94 » Aug 2nd, 2019, 6:50 am

For starters you probably use much more services than your average young student. I'm willing to bet a good chunk of that $37.50 they pay is subsidizing your fees. So if anything you should thank them.

Maybe you should have worked harder and saved more when you were young so you didn't have to worry about an extra $37.50 which works out to about $1 per day.

Also, wrong forum. This isn't a Central Okanagan topic.

2 people like this post.
Scrobins94
Board Meister

Liked in: 424 posts

Postby whatwhat » Aug 2nd, 2019, 7:26 am

You realize the premium was recently reduced by half, making the max payment for someone $37.50. So x that by 2 (for you and your wife), that is $75.00. 1 student would pay $37.50... 2 people would pay double that amount...

Are you just bad at math or think that immigrant students should be paying more??

*As well, depending on your yearly income, you can also apply for MSP premium assistance.
hail Satan y'all

Omnitheo likes this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2089 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Aug 2nd, 2019, 8:09 am

whatwhat wrote:You realize the premium was recently reduced by half, making the max payment for someone $37.50. So x that by 2 (for you and your wife), that is $75.00. 1 student would pay $37.50... 2 people would pay double that amount...

Are you just bad at math or think that immigrant students should be paying more??

*As well, depending on your yearly income, you can also apply for MSP premium assistance.

And once your premiums are eliminated on Jan. 1, those foreign students will continue to pay and receive increases to their premiums as well ($75)

When provincial health care premiums are eliminated for British Columbians next year, one group will see their out-of-pocket costs go up instead of down.

International students at post-secondary institutions in the province currently pay reduced Medical Service Plan fees of $37.50 per month, the same amount that is currently charged to all British Columbia residents earning more than $42,000 per year.

On Jan. 1, when MSP premiums are eliminated, the health care coverage fee for international students will increase to $75 per month.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/international-stu ... -1.4533571

And on a side note about the NDP "eliminating" MSP premiums for all British Columbians, I call hog-wash, they simply just shifted the burden (in typical NDP fashion) from individual taxpayers over to the business sector by way of the "employer health tax". To whom do they think businesses will pass on those increased costs?? ... It's all just smoke and mirrors...
Last edited by RVThereYet on Aug 2nd, 2019, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

3 people like this post.
RVThereYet
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 782 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 2nd, 2019, 8:19 am

^^^ as they should. Why should they be subsidized? We just love handing money away.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 858 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Aug 2nd, 2019, 8:25 am

johnhenry wrote:The NDP has promised us that there will be no more premiums in the near future. Hang in there.

As far as the NDP "eliminating" MSP premiums for British Columbians, I call hog-wash, they simply just shifted the burden (in typical NDP fashion) from individual taxpayers over to the business sector by way of the "employer health tax". To whom do they think businesses will pass on those increased costs?? ... It's all just smoke and mirrors...

6 people like this post.
RVThereYet
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 782 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 2nd, 2019, 11:11 am

RVThereYet wrote:As far as the NDP "eliminating" MSP premiums for British Columbians, I call hog-wash, they simply just shifted the burden (in typical NDP fashion) from individual taxpayers over to the business sector by way of the "employer health tax". To whom do they think businesses will pass on those increased costs?? ... It's all just smoke and mirrors...

MSP premiums aren’t being eliminated, as you said, they’re just being shifted. Now instead of paying just your premium, you’re paying every one else’s. I’ve already been to a few establishments where they tack it on to your bill.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4315 posts

Postby spooker » Aug 2nd, 2019, 11:48 am

It goes back to the old saying that nothing in life is guaranteed except death and taxes ... well ... now we're going to be paying taxes to avoid death ...

We still have to fund healthcare ... nothing can ever eliminate that ... basing it off our income makes sense ... helps that whole "everyone is equal" idea work, within reason ...

When my employer took part of my paycheque and sent it directly to my RRSP provider I never felt any pain for the money not showing up in my cheque ... with my new employer I have to manually send money off each month to contribute to my RRSP and it feels onerous ... but MSP is going the other way so it all balances out
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 978 posts

Postby pureblissyoga » Aug 7th, 2019, 11:52 pm

I think the better question would be what "premium" services are we so privileged to pay a "premium" for anyways?
pureblissyoga

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Gilchy » Aug 8th, 2019, 6:49 am

I guess you could consider being able to go tot he hospital without worrying about a massive bill being handed to you on the way out a premium service.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 981 posts

Postby GordonH » Aug 8th, 2019, 8:00 am

Some Provinces charge a Medical service premium, meanwhile other Provinces have it within their income tax. Either way everyone who is registered with a Provincial Medical service plan pays, in BC it was based on income.

Now the current BC government has changed how this money is collected, businesses will just pass this onto customers.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9009 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Next

Return to B.C.