Aggressive dog euthanized

Aggressive dog euthanized

Postby Bearsybc » Aug 9th, 2019, 7:37 pm

I am sad to read of the Supreme court decision about the aggressive dog named Punky. Perhaps an attempt to retrain / rehabilitate Punky's behaviors in a different home environment would have been a better solution than euthanizing. RIP Punky. :-(

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#263235
Bearsybc

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Aggressive dog euthanized

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 9th, 2019, 7:52 pm

From the link to the judge's decision:

“Given Punky’s past behaviour, temperament and lack of rehabilitation prospects, it was clearly open to the Provincial Court judge to conclude that the dog posed an unacceptable risk to the public and ought to be destroyed,” Justice Patrice Abrioux wrote in the unanimous Aug. 9 ruling of three judges

Apparently Punky failed the test for rehabilitation.

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 9th, 2019, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6855 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Aug 9th, 2019, 8:53 pm

flamingfingers wrote:From the link to the judge's decision:

“Given Punky’s past behaviour, temperament and lack of rehabilitation prospects, it was clearly open to the Provincial Court judge to conclude that the dog posed an unacceptable risk to the public and ought to be destroyed,” Justice Patrice Abrioux wrote in the unanimous Aug. 9 ruling of three judges

Apparently Punky failed the test for rehabilitation.

removed

So do a lot of people......wish the same rules applied.

4 people like this post.
vegas1500
Übergod

Liked in: 2096 posts

Postby bb49 » Aug 9th, 2019, 9:06 pm

A unanimous decision by the B. C. Court of Appeal. I'm fine with that.

Dragging this case on with appeals for two years shows the woman has more money than brains. The story also states that the dog's owner stood by and did nothing as she was attacked. She seems to care more about this dog then others.

I also see the writer behind this story posted a picture of the offender as a puppy. No doubt appealing to emotions. News stories should be neutral, she should have had a picture of the dog today, and if not available, then no picture. Amateur journalism.
Diversity is our Burden

2 people like this post.
bb49

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby Symbonite » Aug 10th, 2019, 11:23 am

good
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 978 posts

Postby Randall T » Aug 12th, 2019, 8:28 am

I had to comment on this as I feel it was an improper decision. By looking at the puppy picture it's obvious Punky was well bred. These dogs are definitely not for everyone as their needs are quite different from other breeds. They are extremely intelligent and require more than the usual sit, roll over, beg trick training. Their lives are very structured and they need tasks assigned to them that they can perform on a daily basis. They do not always socialize well and that has to be considered when taking them for walks or playing in a dog park, etc. However they make a loyal friend and will accept people and other dogs if introduced properly. The woman obviously should not have taken on the task of "ownership" as it appears she didn't understand what was required in training, commitment and duty on her part. It sounds like Punky was also off leash which should never have happened. It's been said by animal biologists that the Red Heeler is the closest you can come to owning a wild canine legally, and that is often quite accurate when you get to know them and their characteristics. At Punky's age it would still have been possible to bring him around to a life he was meant to live. The fact that the judges all agreed to terminate his life just shows either their lack of knowledge of the breed or it was just an easy solution for them. I'm sure given the opportunity a knowledgeable person would have taken him in a heartbeat. Yes, there definitely would have been some work to undo what had been done but the result would have been well worth it. Punky was not a fighting breed or image dog so that argument is moot as many of those can not be brought back from bad/lack of training or bad genetics from inbreeding. This is just another one of those instances where the person responsible for the animal failed miserably, however the difference in this case is there would still have been a better solution.
Randall T
Übergod

Liked in: 1158 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 12th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Randall T wrote:I had to comment on this as I feel it was an improper decision. By looking at the puppy picture it's obvious Punky was well bred. These dogs are definitely not for everyone as their needs are quite different from other breeds. They are extremely intelligent and require more than the usual sit, roll over, beg trick training. Their lives are very structured and they need tasks assigned to them that they can perform on a daily basis. They do not always socialize well and that has to be considered when taking them for walks or playing in a dog park, etc. However they make a loyal friend and will accept people and other dogs if introduced properly. The woman obviously should not have taken on the task of "ownership" as it appears she didn't understand what was required in training, commitment and duty on her part. It sounds like Punky was also off leash which should never have happened. It's been said by animal biologists that the Red Heeler is the closest you can come to owning a wild canine legally, and that is often quite accurate when you get to know them and their characteristics. At Punky's age it would still have been possible to bring him around to a life he was meant to live. The fact that the judges all agreed to terminate his life just shows either their lack of knowledge of the breed or it was just an easy solution for them. I'm sure given the opportunity a knowledgeable person would have taken him in a heartbeat. Yes, there definitely would have been some work to undo what had been done but the result would have been well worth it. Punky was not a fighting breed or image dog so that argument is moot as many of those can not be brought back from bad/lack of training or bad genetics from inbreeding. This is just another one of those instances where the person responsible for the animal failed miserably, however the difference in this case is there would still have been a better solution.

Yes, but unfortunately we are not allowed to "put down" bad pet owners. Given that one had to go.....it was the dog.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby Merry » Aug 12th, 2019, 7:13 pm

I love dogs, so I'm always sorry to see one put down. But if a dog attacks a person, and has been judged a poor candidate for rehabilitation, then euthanization is the best and only course IMO.

The owner clearly was not able to control her dog, we have no reason to believe that has changed, and I sure wouldn't want to run into her and her dog given those circumstances. Would anybody?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8459 posts

Postby mnprochnau » Aug 14th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Symbonite wrote:good

really good
mnprochnau

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby JagXKR » Aug 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Along with putting the dog down and the fine what about the important part. Suing the owner for all they have. A win in court for massive amount in pain and suffering might stop these types of dog owners from causing harm to innocent people.

Unfortunately the ignorance and self absorbed personality of these types of dog owners will never change, even with proper justice. :cuss: :swear:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

bb49 likes this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1694 posts

Postby Randall T » Aug 27th, 2019, 8:37 am

Some hope for Punky https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/264352 ... given-stay

Why should all the two-legged mopes that have amassed tenfold convictions and are still walking the streets get all the breaks.
Randall T
Übergod

Liked in: 1158 posts

Return to B.C.