Gondola Collapse, again.

NachoManRandySalad

Gondola Collapse, again.

Post by NachoManRandySalad »

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Big difference between one Gondola falling during testing, and all of them crashing to the ground due to an intentionally cut cable, don't you think?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
NachoManRandySalad

Post by NachoManRandySalad »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Big difference between one Gondola falling during testing, and all of them crashing to the ground due to an intentionally cut cable, don't you think?

Allegedly. Absolutely! Seems like there is a black cloud hovering over this masterpiece.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

It didn't take a fancy metallurgical lab or more than 10 minutes once the broken cable ends were looked at. If vandalism has been reported as being suspected.....you can bet it was. The difference between a saw or zip cut cable and a stress failure are completely different and it would be recognized instantly. I have no doubt it was vandalism.
The motive is what puzzles me.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Motive more often than not has something to do with money.

Whose income does the Gondola cut into? Someone must benefit from it being out of commission.

I have a hard time believing your regular vandal, would bother to expend the energy required to climb one of those towers, then cut through that cable. Vandals opportunistic not ambitious causing me to think some entity must have paid to have this done.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

perhaps an inside job, insurance would be a cheap way to get some "upgrades" and repairs
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Could have been a lot of reasons. My first thought would be disgruntled employee. People kill half the office just because they don't feel they were treated properly by someone at work. Maybe a female worker jilted some guy. Someone got fired?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I can't picture any vandals cutting it down either.
To say the least there is a good chance the cable will whip them taking their head right off as it snaps close to the end of the cut.
If you were to survive the cable the tower would probably vibrate you off probably killing you there.
If you are tied to the tower you would probably still get injured by those vibrations.
So why would anyone bother to vandalize it?
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Cable cutters capable of cutting this drill line. Weigh about 80 pounds. They are usually hydraulic . Operated by a baker pump. This is another heavy piece of equipment.
I guess they could have used a zip cut ? Seems so far beyond what a common drunk would be capable of. Then its all 20 or 30 ft up a tower. Who would be motivated enuff to do this.

By looking at the cable ends they will know if it was a zip cut or a cable cutter.

Can not imagine the whip back of that cable. Amazing the people who did this survived. My guess is they were tied off. Used the ropes to haul gear up and down quickly. These were professional sabboteurs
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

The Facebook group "Friends of the Squamish Chief " has been removed or taken down. They were opposed to the gondola and seemed pretty militant about their opposition.
I wouldn't put it past some eco-nut cutting the cable to 'save the chief'.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

stuphoto wrote:I can't picture any vandals cutting it down either.
To say the least there is a good chance the cable will whip them taking their head right off as it snaps close to the end of the cut.
If you were to survive the cable the tower would probably vibrate you off probably killing you there.
If you are tied to the tower you would probably still get injured by those vibrations.
So why would anyone bother to vandalize it?

I think they intended on cutting it enough to weaken it and have it break while loaded and in operation
they misjudged the amount the cable could be cut(weakened) and she snapped on the criminal
I don't think we are getting the whole story in my opinion
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Btfsplck wrote:The Facebook group "Friends of the Squamish Chief " has been removed or taken down. They were opposed to the gondola and seemed pretty militant about their opposition.
I wouldn't put it past some eco-nut cutting the cable to 'save the chief'.

I think it was eco nuts as well. I would also bet the cut was made with a lithium ion 20 volt angle grinder that weighs about 4 lbs with a zip cutting wheel on it. When the cable failed due to the cut, the tension pulling from both directions would have left the vandal free and clear of cable whip.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Don,
You know as well as I do that we never get the whole story.
Part of the fun posting on here is using our imagination to fill in the blanks.

I honestly hope no one is sinister enough to partly cut the cable, hoping it would collapse while full of riders.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

stuphoto wrote:Don,
You know as well as I do that we never get the whole story.
Part of the fun posting on here is using our imagination to fill in the blanks.

I honestly hope no one is sinister enough to partly cut the cable, hoping it would collapse while full of riders.

Unfortunately there are some really sick individuals out there.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Like Smurf, my first thought was a disgruntled employee. However, I could also visualize an "eco nut" doing something like this because, sadly, those types always think "the end justifies the means".

It's time the courts started handing out meaningful sentences to "eco terrorists", because that's what they are - terrorists.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “B.C.”