Gondola Collapse, again.

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby mikest2 » Aug 12th, 2019, 8:39 pm

The Sea to Sky Gondola did not collapse, nor has it collapsed before. It was sabotaged, The rope was cut. A better title might be "Criminal attack on Gondola". This was not vandalism, this is akin to blowing up a bridge, sinking a ship, or shooting down an aircraft.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...

2 people like this post.
mikest2
Übergod
 
Posts: 1277
Likes: 1065 posts
Liked in: 1777 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby stuphoto » Aug 12th, 2019, 10:25 pm

If I was going to take out the gondola I would target some of the rollers instead of the cable.
Still pretty much a guarantee it will come down plus much less likely I would get hurt.
Besides simple hand tools would probably do the trick.
Although don't ask me to try.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 705
Likes: 710 posts
Liked in: 496 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby motokelowna1 » Aug 13th, 2019, 7:51 am

Obvious clue would have been the brown stain left after the break.

stuphoto likes this post.
motokelowna1
Board Meister
 
Posts: 351
Likes: 76 posts
Liked in: 225 posts
Joined: Jun 1st, 2012, 8:18 am

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby LTD » Aug 13th, 2019, 8:58 am

mikest2 wrote:The Sea to Sky Gondola did not collapse, nor has it collapsed before. It was sabotaged, The rope was cut. A better title might be "Criminal attack on Gondola". This was not vandalism, this is akin to blowing up a bridge, sinking a ship, or shooting down an aircraft.

the rope lol theres a pretty serious cable not a rope that holds all the cabins I find it hard to believe that your average vandal is packing the necessary tools to cut it, and with the safety standards in place these days even cutting half way through wouldn't bring it down, theres more to this story
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4700
Likes: 3310 posts
Liked in: 3816 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby twobits » Aug 13th, 2019, 4:39 pm

LTD wrote:the rope lol theres a pretty serious cable not a rope that holds all the cabins I find it hard to believe that your average vandal is packing the necessary tools to cut it, and with the safety standards in place these days even cutting half way through wouldn't bring it down, theres more to this story


Cable is often called steel rope because it is constructed exactly the same as other material ropes. I believe I read somewhere that this cable was 50mm which would be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. My battery powered 4 in. angle grinder with a zip cutting wheel would cut through that tensioned cable in a cpl of minutes and have enough power to left to do a few more cuts.
This was not engineered vandalism.....it was opportunistic vandalism with some very simple equipment. And that makes it even more concerning. Honestly......my first thoughts were along the lines of someone like the tree climbing grandpa nesting in the tree canopy at the TMX Terminal site. Anyone like him would have been more than capable of this kind of thing especially since every Gondola tower has a ladder up to the bogey wheels and structures to facilitate greasing and inspection of the bogey wheels carrying the cable with some pretty basic fall safety equipment.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

bb49 likes this post.
twobits
Guru
 
Posts: 7223
Likes: 1092 posts
Liked in: 3853 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2010, 9:44 am
Location: GPS says Dead Elbow Utah. Think I'm lost

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby mikest2 » Aug 13th, 2019, 6:44 pm

LTD wrote:
mikest2 wrote:The Sea to Sky Gondola did not collapse, nor has it collapsed before. It was sabotaged, The rope was cut. A better title might be "Criminal attack on Gondola". This was not vandalism, this is akin to blowing up a bridge, sinking a ship, or shooting down an aircraft.

the rope lol theres a pretty serious cable not a rope that holds all the cabins I find it hard to believe that your average vandal is packing the necessary tools to cut it, and with the safety standards in place these days even cutting half way through wouldn't bring it down, theres more to this story


Actually cable is a misnomer, it is a wire rope. The only wire rope commonly called a cable is an aircraft cable.
This rope is a synthetic core 55mm diameter 6x25 or 36, langs lay rope.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Übergod
 
Posts: 1277
Likes: 1065 posts
Liked in: 1777 posts
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby Bsuds » Aug 13th, 2019, 7:05 pm

twobits wrote:this cable was 50mm which would be about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.


Not to be picky (yes I am) but 50 mm is 1.9685 in. So almost 2 inches.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 44688
Likes: 10494 posts
Liked in: 12984 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby dreamon » Aug 14th, 2019, 8:06 am

mikest2 wrote:The Sea to Sky Gondola did not collapse, nor has it collapsed before. It was sabotaged, The rope was cut. A better title might be "Criminal attack on Gondola". This was not vandalism, this is akin to blowing up a bridge, sinking a ship, or shooting down an aircraft.


Exactly.
An act of sabotage or (eco)terrorism.
dreamon
Fledgling
 
Posts: 288
Likes: 15 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Oct 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Re: Gondola Collapse, again.

Postby bb49 » Aug 14th, 2019, 6:51 pm

dreamon wrote:
mikest2 wrote:The Sea to Sky Gondola did not collapse, nor has it collapsed before. It was sabotaged, The rope was cut. A better title might be "Criminal attack on Gondola". This was not vandalism, this is akin to blowing up a bridge, sinking a ship, or shooting down an aircraft.


Exactly.
An act of sabotage or (eco)terrorism.


I agree, eco-terrorism is where I hope the police are taking a serious look.
Just another reason for CSIS to watch all protesting groups.

Btw, I posted an almost identical quote on CBC today. It was deleted.
Diversity is our Burden

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
User avatar
bb49
 
Posts: 86
Likes: 164 posts
Liked in: 74 posts
Joined: Jul 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Previous

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], George Orwell 1984 and 2 guests