Loon Lake Provincial Park????

Loon Lake Provincial Park????

Postby Glacier » Aug 19th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Okay, so for decades I've driven up past Cache Creek and Clinton with the intention of taking a side detour to Loon Lake Provincial Park.

On the weekend I tried to make a dream a reality by taking the back road to Loon Lake (a rough forestry road), and the paved road out down to highway 97 north of Cache Creek.

I saw a stunningly beautiful lake in a very narrow valley with lots of houses but no public access anyway to the lake! No provincial park and no park of any kind.

I was confused AF, so I just looked up the park on the provincial website: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... s/loon_lk/

The page states: "All facilities have now been removed and this park is now permanently closed."

Why does the province permanently close the ONLY public access to a lake in BC?

Seems kind of backwards to me!

loonlake1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12464 posts

Re: Loon Lake Provincial Park????

Postby GordonH » Aug 19th, 2019, 1:39 pm

It appears it's been closed for many years, posts on this site are dated 2011.
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1646 ... ark-closed
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby TylerM4 » Aug 19th, 2019, 2:06 pm

From what I can see, they closed the campsite and all park facilities.

Who knows why, my best guess would be low usage or optimization.

There are many lakes in BC without a road leading up to them. I'm confused by your confusion - seems like it's a simple matter of the province closing a campground. :130:
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1416 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 19th, 2019, 2:51 pm

TylerM4 wrote:From what I can see, they closed the campsite and all park facilities.

Who knows why, my best guess would be low usage or optimization.

There are many lakes in BC without a road leading up to them. I'm confused by your confusion - seems like it's a simple matter of the province closing a campground. :130:

So it's still a provincial park? Or are they selling off the land? Seems kinda short sighted to close a park with actual paved road access (most lakes in BC are just gravel road only).

I took this picture of Loon Lake for you losers who have never been there. Not clear from this picture is that most of the south side (left) of the lake burned from the Elephant Hill fire. Boat access only there.

loonlake2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Aug 19th, 2019, 3:39 pm

I am a loser because I never went to Loon Lake..
You don't know where I have been, not going to tell you what you missed, it's not worth the effort.
There is other lakes in BC..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2522 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Aug 19th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Glacier wrote:
I took this picture of Loon Lake for you losers who have never been there. Not clear from this picture is that most of the south side (left) of the lake burned from the Elephant Hill fire. Boat access only there.

loonlake2.jpg

My understanding is that it's still a provincial park, they just closed the campground. I'm no insider tho, just what I gather from the quick google search I did.

It does look like a beauty of a lake!
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1416 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 19th, 2019, 4:50 pm

TylerM4 wrote:My understanding is that it's still a provincial park, they just closed the campground. I'm no insider tho, just what I gather from the quick google search I did.

It does look like a beauty of a lake!

Lots of Provincial Parks have no camping or facilities. It would be really weird if they did not get rid of this park and have no write-up on it as if you can't visit it.

P.S. There are 11, 13, or 14 different LOON LAKES in BC depending how you creative you want to be.

LoonLakes.png
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Urban Cowboy » Aug 19th, 2019, 6:01 pm

If there are resorts and private places on that lake, how do the people get to them if there's no road, and no boat access?
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7708 posts

Postby GordonH » Aug 19th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:If there are resorts and private places on that lake, how do the people get to them if there's no road, and no boat access?

If that is the case then come in by float plane
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby southy » Aug 19th, 2019, 6:32 pm

This link might help. http://britishcolumbia.com/things-to-do ... cial-park/

Services are available in the community of Loon Lake. link: https://loonlakecommunitywebsite.ca/

Looking for a resort on Loon Lake? Here you go. https://www.evergreenfishingresort.ca/

So really other than not having the park and campground - services are available for one to get away to and enjoy the lake and area.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 19th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:If there are resorts and private places on that lake, how do the people get to them if there's no road, and no boat access?

It looks like there is a boat launch on the north side. Lots of large boats cruising around on Friday when I was there. Very deep lake for one that size. Over 200 ft deep.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Return to B.C.