What is your Driver Factor ?

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What is your Driver Factor ?

Post by dirtybiker »

my5cents wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:What I recall vividly is that when I first moved here back in 88, my insurance rate for the exact same type of coverage, and same vehicle, went up by a factor of 3X, compared to what I was paying in Saskatchewan, and that was taking into consideration safe driver discount, as I came with a drivers abstract showing a clean record and zero accidents.

I was NOT impressed.

Whether or not that gap has narrowed over the years I can't say.

I realize it would be impossible for you to locate documentation verifying that the cost of your comparable auto insurance coverage increased by three times. Since I read this yesterday, it didn't sit well.

As I recall, the three provincial insurance regimes were a lot closer in pricing than that in the late 80's, (MPIC, SGI, and ICBC).

I'll double up on UC's claim of 3X, Sask. to B.C. 1991.
I was blown away by the larger sums required.
I went from 1 car,1 truck yearly, with 2 more cars and 2 motorcycles seasonal
full coverage.
To doing a insurance/registration dance to utilize my different vehicles
depending on the flavour of the month/season.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dirtybiker wrote:I'll double up on UC's claim of 3X, Sask. to B.C. 1991.
I was blown away by the larger sums required.
I went from 1 car,1 truck yearly, with 2 more cars and 2 motorcycles seasonal
full coverage.
To doing a insurance/registration dance to utilize my different vehicles
depending on the flavour of the month/season.

Urban Cowboy stated that in 88' his insurance rate for the exact same type of coverage and same vehicle went up by 3 times.

It appears you are discussing a discrepancy of insuring a small private fleet of vehicles in SK vs BC. A different situation, but if you are the one paying far more just as hard to take.

I agree with you ICBC has fallen short since day one with respect to the cost of insurance on multiple vehicles only driven by one driver (for example).

ICBC has fallen down in many areas when it comes to "custom insurance situations".

I've wondered if, now, with ICBC's new listed driver policies if ICBC will allow savings for multi vehicle one driver situations.

The cost of insuring a motorcycle is another problem. ICBC has only one use for motorcycles. There is no "pleasure only", there is no discount for low km usage. My cost for basic on my bike is 73% more than my car. Same driver, same claims history, same driving record. Even the cost related to the license plate cost is a money grab.

My plate fee on my bike annually is $33. Unless I travel South before the winter, I obviously can't ride my bike in the OK for a full 12 months. This year I purchased a 5 month policy, along with 5 months on the plates.

Prorated cost of the plates $14. That's very fair, 5/12th of a year would be $13.75, so $14 is pretty good B U T, oh no. ICBC charges a $10 Short Term License Surcharge. So a full year is $33, 5 months is $24. Not a lot of money but, in an area that one can't operate a 2 wheeled vehicle 12 months of the year ???? The same for the Basic premium, I am charge a Short Term Premium Surcharge of $28.00.

ICBC makes allowances on windshield claims. If you live in the Kootenays or in the North and claim for a large number of windshields you are allowed more windshield claims before ICBC increases your comprehensive deductible. So why not some consideration for Short Term Premium and Plates for motorcycles ? They are already overcharging for the basic coverage.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

my5cents wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:What I recall vividly is that when I first moved here back in 88, my insurance rate for the exact same type of coverage, and same vehicle, went up by a factor of 3X, compared to what I was paying in Saskatchewan, and that was taking into consideration safe driver discount, as I came with a drivers abstract showing a clean record and zero accidents.

I was NOT impressed.

Whether or not that gap has narrowed over the years I can't say.

I realize it would be impossible for you to locate documentation verifying that the cost of your comparable auto insurance coverage increased by three times. Since I read this yesterday, it didn't sit well.

As I recall, the three provincial insurance regimes were a lot closer in pricing than that in the late 80's, (MPIC, SGI, and ICBC).

No I don't have documentation anymore for that long ago, however it was easy for me to remember because SGI cost me $320 give or take per year, and when I moved here ICBC was $960 per year for the same vehicle with 2 million deductible and Artisan coverage, that after applying the full safe driver discount.

Also when I insured my car it was also right around three times SGI's charge.

I'd figured that insurance in BC would be higher, if nothing else simply due to increased risk of mountain driving, but I felt three times higher was a bit extreme.

The other difference that stood out immediately was all the lengthy jargon attached to ICBC coverage, which to me smelled of little more than a bunch of claim denial loopholes they could make use of, whereas SGI was much simpler, you had insurance or you didn't, and they didn't care how far from home I drove etc.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Urban Cowboy wrote:No I don't have documentation anymore for that long ago, however it was easy for me to remember because SGI cost me $320 give or take per year, and when I moved here ICBC was $960 per year for the same vehicle with 2 million deductible and Artisan coverage, that after applying the full safe driver discount.

I'd figured that insurance in BC would be higher, if nothing else simply due to increased risk of mountain driving, but I felt three times higher was a bit extreme.

The other difference that stood out immediately was all the lengthy jargon attached to ICBC coverage, which to me smelled of little more than a bunch of claim denial loopholes they could make use of, whereas SGI was much simpler, you had insurance or you didn't, and they didn't care how far from home I drove etc.

Maybe we have 3 times the mountains ! [icon_lol2.gif]

"all the lengthy jargon", you're probably talking about an ICBC pamphlet given with your insurance. That's nothing, there's an Insurance Motor Vehicle Act and an Insurance Motor Vehicle Act Regulation.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 0_96231_01
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... /447_83_00
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

my5cents wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:No I don't have documentation anymore for that long ago, however it was easy for me to remember because SGI cost me $320 give or take per year, and when I moved here ICBC was $960 per year for the same vehicle with 2 million deductible and Artisan coverage, that after applying the full safe driver discount.

Maybe we have 3 times the mountains ! [icon_lol2.gif]

"all the lengthy jargon", you're probably talking about an ICBC pamphlet given with your insurance. That's nothing, there's an Insurance Motor Vehicle Act and an Insurance Motor Vehicle Act Regulation.

No he means all the BS about KMs a day. Deductible confusion. Out of province BS. Etc. In Sask it is cut and dried. Simple language. Plain english. Not even close here
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

What 1791 said above. :up:

my5cents wrote:"all the lengthy jargon", you're probably talking about an ICBC pamphlet given with your insurance. That's nothing, there's an Insurance Motor Vehicle Act and an Insurance Motor Vehicle Act Regulation.

No I'm referring to the actual wording in the insurance documentation. I don't have it memorized but stuff like no driver with less than 10yrs driving experience, no more than 4 days a month use to drive to work, and I believe my first insurance even had a line about what radius from home I was allowed to drive.

I simply suspiciously viewed that as escape clauses for ICBC, like if I got in an accident 101kms from home whilst my insurance stated 100km radius, they tell me to go pound sand.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Sep 8th, 2019, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

1791 wrote:……………………. In Sask it is cut and dried. Simple language. Plain english. Not even close here

I wouldn't go that far.

https://publications.saskatchewan.ca/#/products/388
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

My cost for basic on my bike is 73% more than my car. Same driver, same claims history, same driving record.

AND a 100% greater chance of falling over, when compared to a 4 wheeled vehicle.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Alberta private auto insurance is considerably less expensive than ICBC.

My wife just renewed her ICBC insurance. 2016 Toyota Venza AWD, full coverage with max safe driver discount, $1724.00.
My son just renewed his insurance in Alberta. 37 years old male, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, which is a very expensive and very high power modern AWD muscle car (SUV).. full coverage, $1100.00...
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What city is he in and how does it compare with ours for accident number and severity?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Hurtlander wrote:

Alberta private auto insurance is considerably less expensive than ICBC.

My wife just renewed her ICBC insurance. 2016 Toyota Venza AWD, full coverage with max safe driver discount, $1724.00.
My son just renewed his insurance in Alberta. 37 years old male, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, which is a very expensive and very high power modern AWD muscle car (SUV).. full coverage, $1100.00...

Is coverage identical? same deductibles, glass coverage, liability, injury. The wording alone in two similar products can make a terrible difference. Most people wouldn't even understand some of it. In many cases ICBC pays much more than other provinces which is one of the things that are supposedly being changed. Even differences in the costs of shop repairs can make a difference. It is very difficult to make an exact comparison. Sales taxes etc on a large job can make a difference and insurance companies look at all of that.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:AND a 100% greater chance of falling over, when compared to a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Ah, BASIC, has nothing to do with own damage. It is third party liability for the other vehicle, if the MC hits another vehicle and is liable.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Smurf wrote:Is coverage identical? same deductibles, glass coverage, liability, injury. The wording alone in two similar products can make a terrible difference. Most people wouldn't even understand some of it. In many cases ICBC pays much more than other provinces which is one of the things that are supposedly being changed. Even differences in the costs of shop repairs can make a difference. It is very difficult to make an exact comparison. Sales taxes etc on a large job can make a difference and insurance companies look at all of that.

Opps, I forgot to ask him those questions, I’ll have to get to you when I find out. I only asked what the total was.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexi cali wrote:Ok. If all y'all have no accidents or claims, who is causing all the mayhem?

Moderators?

BTW, my factor is .407 (Cause I'm an ol fart)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Hurtlander wrote:Alberta private auto insurance is considerably less expensive than ICBC.

First off to compare BC to AB you have to take into consideration that at this moment, AB Auto Insurance is "Threshold No Fault". There is a limit on minor (defined in legislation) injury payouts. The BC government just implemented a similar program in BC on Sept 1st (9 days ago).

AB - Medical Rehabilitation and Attendant care up to $50,000 per person
BC - Medical Rehabilitation and Attendant care up to $150,000 per person

At this time the government of AB has limited any increases in Auto Insurance premiums to 5%. That has just ended.

Normally in AB virtually no motorist has glass coverage with their comprehensive coverage. With ICBC, for example a $300 deductible comprehensive comes with a $200 deductible for glass claims.

Also you'd need to determine the collision and comprehensive deductibles for the policies in AB and BC.

When you consider the ONLY part of auto insurance in BC that one can't purchase from private is the BASIC. I'd be interested in the cost of basic coverage in BC vs AB.

Speaking for myself, my optional coverage from ICBC was much less than it was from one private company and within $20 of the other private company.

Return to “B.C.”