Lack of timber/Log truck convoy protest

dakoda62
Fledgling

Lack of timber/Log truck convoy protest

Post by dakoda62 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/265887 ... gher-costs

How many cu meters of wood are are shipped as raw logs? thousands with no benefit but stumpage fees paid the province. Stop ALL raw log export, get our men and back to work!!!!!!!!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: I call Bull *bleep* on lack of timber

Post by stuphoto »

I love how not to long ago that same industry was calling it a completely renewable resource.
They were either lying then or now.
buckland
Fledgling

Post by buckland »

Gee, are we still being charged tariffs on lumber because of the so called subsidies canadian lumber industry is getting from the Government? If the industry is paying too much for stumpage, this should be brought up with the US to reverse the tariffs. :200:
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

dakoda62 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/265887/Fewer-trees-higher-costs

How many cu meters of wood are are shipped as raw logs? thousands with no benefit but stumpage fees paid the province. Stop ALL raw log export, get our men and back to work!!!!!!!!

Are you referring to mill shutdowns in the interior due to lack of timber?
If so, that has nothing to do with log exports, which almost always come from coastal timber.
Most, if not all interior mills that have permanently closed have done so due to a lack of timber. And that has been caused by the mountain pine beetle which has wiped out much of the lodgepole pine in BC.
Combine that with low lumber prices and the forest industry is in deep kaka.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I have a friend who has been working as a faller for years. For the first time he couldn't get full time work this summer. July was the rock bottom worst month of all where he worked a total of 8 days. Hard to pay the mortgage on that kind of work. It has picked up since then, back to mostly full time, but it's still pretty slow for people cutting down trees.

The truth is the BC Liberals were over-logging for years, and with the NDP breathing down their necks refused to cut back to sustainable levels. They couldn't afford to lose any votes.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Ok, here we go again for the umpteenth time.

There is NOT a shortage of logs on the Coast, where log exports originate from.
There IS a shortage of logs in the interior where log exports DO NOT originate from.
Logging operations are shutting down on the coast as the delivered log costs are more than what mills can pay and remain profitable with the current selling price of the final product.
Increased stumpage, carbon tax and double dipping msp premiums are included in those increased costs.
In the interior, log shortage is from the uplift in the various regions AAC because of the Mt Pine Beatle. Now the harvestible timber has been logged, AAC's have been adjusted downward as to keep the timber supply areas in a sustainable harvest rotation.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

seewood wrote:...In the interior, log shortage is from the uplift in the various regions AAC because of the Mt Pine Beatle.

I'm picturing tiny, environmentally destructive versions of John, Paul, George and Ringo ...
:topic:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

How much do with the number of parks added (which takes land out of logging). The last time the NDP was in power the quadrupled the number of parks in the Chilcotin for example.

When he NDP came into power in the 1970s there was just a single park in the Chilcotin. When they left, the multiplied that by 4.

When the NDP came into power in the 1990s there were just 5 parks and preserves. When they left, they had multiplied that by 3.

Chilcotinparks.jpg
Last edited by Glacier on Sep 16th, 2019, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

It is not lack of logs right now as much as lack of markets. And due to the US duty on wood exports and the fight in court to get them overturned yet again, there is almost nothing the government (either) can do at this time.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Chip it. Biomass fuel. Lots and lots of fuel. Sell it to Germany
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rumour has it that the BC government be investing 69 million for forest worker support programs... because you may as well get 69 if you're getting screwed.
- Douglas Murray
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Glacier wrote:How much do with the number of parks added (which takes land out of logging). The last time the NDP was in power the quadrupled the number of parks in the Chilcotin for example.

When he NDP came into power in the 1970s there was just a single park in the Chilcotin. When they left, the multiplied that by 4.

When the NDP came into power in the 1990s there were just 5 parks and preserves. When they left, they had multiplied that by 3.

Chilcotinparks.jpg

I like how you Trump like sharpied in all that area to make it look like it was all taken out of production. The things that reduced the lumber supply were over cutting and the Pine Beetle. However lack of timber is not the problem at the moment.
It is lack of market. Take a look at the stock pile of logs at the mill outside Armstrong. 30 feet high (at a guess) and who knows how long. Probably enough logs there to cut for months if not a single truck was to haul in.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

seewood wrote:Ok, here we go again for the umpteenth time.

There is NOT a shortage of logs on the Coast, where log exports originate from.
There IS a shortage of logs in the interior where log exports DO NOT originate from.
Logging operations are shutting down on the coast as the delivered log costs are more than what mills can pay and remain profitable with the current selling price of the final product.
Increased stumpage, carbon tax and double dipping msp premiums are included in those increased costs.
In the interior, log shortage is from the uplift in the various regions AAC because of the Mt Pine Beatle. Now the harvestible timber has been logged, AAC's have been adjusted downward as to keep the timber supply areas in a sustainable harvest rotation.

The current problem is not a shortage of logs. It is a shortage of markets.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Why not chip the wood that the Beatle has ravaged ??? Replant and yes stumpage fees way too much at least the govt is richer
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

butcher99 wrote:The current problem is not a shortage of logs. It is a shortage of markets.

Wrong : mills are permanently shutting down because of a lack of suitable log supply.
Mills that are taking a curtailment for whatever length of time is because the current selling price of SPF lumber does not cover the cost of delivered logs and milling said logs.
There is a market in the States for our lumber but, as mentioned, the current commodity price of the lumber is to low.
It should be noted other provinces that sell into the States are not having curtailment shutdowns as those provinces adjust their stumpage rates on a shorter time table compared to BC. Also other provinces do not have double dipping msp premiums nor a carbon tax.
Last edited by ferri on Sep 18th, 2019, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “B.C.”