Lack of timber/Log truck convoy protest

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: I call Bull *bleep* on lack of timber

Post by Glacier »

motokelowna1 wrote:Why not chip the wood that the Beatle has ravaged ??? Replant and yes stumpage fees way too much at least the govt is richer

The Beetle wood was all harvested 5 years ago. What they're harvesting now is the 300,000 hectares of fir that burned in 2017.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Drove by the mill just north of Enderby a couple weeks back and yard look over stack with timber.

Over the years that mill has grown, I remember when it was just tiny mud hole.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

GordonH wrote:Drove by the mill just north of Enderby a couple weeks back and yard look over stack with timber.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but I believe that mill only processes cedar products. Kind of a different game.

Always liked the "aroma" driving by.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Drove by the mill just north of Enderby a couple weeks back and yard look over stack with timber.

2manyfords wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong...but I believe that mill only processes cedar products. Kind of a different game.

Always liked the "aroma" driving by.

The huge piles of raw logs did not look like any type of ceder I've ever seen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:The huge piles of raw logs did not look like any type of ceder I've ever seen.

They are being held/stored there to be shipped at a later date to another mill.
Bring back the LIKE button.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

GordonH wrote:
The huge piles of raw logs did not look like any type of ceder I've ever seen.

Well if i'm wrong, i guess i'm wrong.

For years, I used to drive that stretch to Sicamous and back to visit family, and always remember seeing cedar in that yard. It almost took over the mobile home on the south side at times...

I guess times have changed.
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

The government charges too much for logs because of the high cost of governance over the crown timber ;;
the equipment people charge too much for equipment required;; The log haulers rate is way too high;; the forest workers get huge wages;; the mill workers all get above average wages ;; the rate (example) Tolko pays their operators to log the wood and build roads etc are absorbent;; Tolko profit is high; the replanting of trees is HUGE::::: etc etc

SO where do we cut costs to make logging a viable situation once again????
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

dontrump wrote:The government charges too much for logs because of the high cost of governance over the crown timber ;;
the equipment people charge too much for equipment required;; The log haulers rate is way too high;; the forest workers get huge wages;; the mill workers all get above average wages ;; the rate (example) Tolko pays their operators to log the wood and build roads etc are absorbent;; Tolko profit is high; the replanting of trees is HUGE::::: etc etc

Carbon tax. Fuel tax. Road tax. Tax on tax. Income tax. Cut all those.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

1791 wrote:
dontrump wrote:

Carbon tax. Fuel tax. Road tax. Tax on tax. Income tax. Cut all those.

What new tax would they have to bring in to cover all the services those taxes pay for , and how would that help ?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

dontrump wrote:The government charges too much for logs because of the high cost of governance over the crown timber ;;

Utter rubbish.
Not sure of your vocation, but logging and forestry is not it.
What are " absorbent" logging rates?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

seewood wrote:

Utter rubbish.
Not sure of your vocation, but logging and forestry is not it.
What are " absorbent" logging rates?

utter rubbish in your personal opinion maybe ? but the reality is as I have pointed out obviously u don't know what a faller buncher costs to but never mind the rates they get to operate one as an example or what a new tri axle logging truck and the rates they get paid are two examples I am not saying and never said any one part of the whole sector was more to blame than the other but the whole timber industry is an expense industry and I personally believe its all over priced
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

https://globalnews.ca/news/5941008/200- ... -closures/

Should be fun driving in Vancouver Wednesday.
Hope they go right to Stanley Park and take it over.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

[url]https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rural-dividend-fund-suspended-bc-forestry-1.5294779
[/url]

It seems that the present government's only answer to the forestry community crisis is to rob Peter to pay Paul. They are stealing money allocated for rural community improvements to be applied piecemeal to rural forestry communities. The move is purely to show the public that they are doing something rather than a long term solution.
The now bankrupt $25M fund was designed to help small communities improve their infrastructure or diversify their economies. Using this money for only selective forestry communities while telling other communities who have planned for years for civic improvements that this year's funding is cancelled is not the way to go. It shows a lack of foresight. I wonder if this government would have been willing to cancel funding for programs where they have political support in the lower mainland to pay for the forestry support. Currently they have stolen funds from areas where they have little political support. This certainly is not a policy that shows that the government has the interests of all BC citizens on its slate.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

featfan wrote:https://globalnews.ca/news/5941008/200-log-trucks-expected-to-drive-through-downtown-vancouver-wednesday-to-protest-mill-closures/

Should be fun driving in Vancouver Wednesday.
Hope they go right to Stanley Park and take it over.

I say log it so those in their expensive condo's will have a better view of the ocean, and then they can't complain about the trees rotting or blowing down during those giant windstorms. They can sit with their fancy paper cup Starbucks coffees and look at the ocean. lol And they should blow those truck horns long and loud when they get there.. (How can you tell I'm a logger's wife lol )
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

The convy is on its way and growing bigger as it drives through each community along the way It will easily be 200 strong by the time they arrive in Vancouver

Return to “B.C.”