Here we go again

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Here we go again

Post by Urbane »

Didn't Premier Horgan appoint a committee to recommend how the MSP fees would be replaced? And didn't that committee recommend rolling the fees into our income tax? If so, why was the recommendation ignored?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Urbane wrote:Didn't Premier Horgan appoint a committee to recommend how the MSP fees would be replaced? And didn't that committee recommend rolling the fees into our income tax? If so, why was the recommendation ignored?

When does any Government do anything that's recommended to them?
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

GordonH wrote:^^^ once companies see how it is effecting there profits, goods and services could very well increase in price.... it's been only 26 days.

Could very well is not will. As with minimum wages going up and the doom and gloom that that always brings out from the business community, it will have even less effect than minimum wages going up. That is, nothing.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

butcher99 wrote:
GordonH wrote:^^^ once companies see how it is effecting there profits, goods and services could very well increase in price.... it's been only 26 days.

Could very well is not will. As with minimum wages going up and the doom and gloom that that always brings out from the business community, it will have even less effect than minimum wages going up. That is, nothing.

I find this level of disconnect astonishing.

We have store managers who must convince customers to use the self-checkouts and forcing employees who have been full-time cashiers for decades to either take hours stocking shelves or accept reduced hours (or both), and you seem unable to understand this is because the company is trying not to push prices up any further to cover the steep increase in payroll costs.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

rustled wrote:I find this level of disconnect astonishing.

We have store managers who must convince customers to use the self-checkouts and forcing employees who have been full-time cashiers for decades to either take hours stocking shelves or accept reduced hours (or both), and you seem unable to understand this is because the company is trying not to push prices up any further to cover the steep increase in payroll costs.

Total strawman argument. Has zero to do with the the employer tax . They would do that anyway. They are doing that anyway.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

butcher99 wrote:
rustled wrote:I find this level of disconnect astonishing.

Total strawman argument. Has zero to do with the the employer tax . They would do that anyway. They are doing that anyway.

Wow.

WADR I simply can't imagine anyone honestly believing the steep recent increase in payroll costs (increased minimum wage plus EHT) wouldn't have a significant impact on a company's bottom line.

It seems to me you want to see the world in black and white, where all employers are too greedy to consider anything but how to make more-more-more money.

Most of us understand pretty clearly what happens when a business is at risk of not bringing in enough money to cover costs. As their costs go up, they respond in one of three ways: increase what they charge for their goods and services, find a way to cut back on expenditures, or close the doors.

The NDP doesn't seem to understand this, and they're counting on people with an "all employers are just too greedy" mindset to keep them in government.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^When have you ever seen prices in retail go down? Or stay the same over the years?

There are multiple reasons why prices increase and not always due to the rise of minimum wage or the EHT.
Chill
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

The employer I work for held a management meeting to address the health tax with one simple directive, and that was to increase the fees to cover it as the company was not going to just absorb this cost.

Other companies may be different but I doubt it. The cost will be downloaded as much if not all to bottom line consumers
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

When has it been any different? Transportation costs rise, the consumer pays; property taxes rise, the consumer pays; administration multiplies, the consumer pays; packaging increases, consumer pays for that too. If costs didn't rise, we would still only pay $0.29 for a dozen eggs (hens haven't had a raise that I have heard of).
Chill
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

flamingfingers wrote:^^When have you ever seen prices in retail go down? Or stay the same over the years?

There are multiple reasons why prices increase and not always due to the rise of minimum wage or the EHT.

Of course not always, no one is saying that's always the reason or the only reason. However, butcher99 wants us to believe the unusually steep rise in minimum wage plus EHT will NOT cause prices in retail (or the costs of services) to increase or force employers to seek other means of reducing costs. Clearly it must, and I've attempted to explain how the increase has been affecting employees who were solely cashiers: they must now take on different tasks or their hours will be cut, or both.
flamingfingers wrote:When has it been any different? Transportation costs rise, the consumer pays; property taxes rise, the consumer pays; administration multiplies, the consumer pays; packaging increases, consumer pays for that too. If costs didn't rise, we would still only pay $0.29 for a dozen eggs (hens haven't had a raise that I have heard of).

Yes, that is how it works. And that is precisely why increasing the cost of payroll increases what we all pay for everything.

And any across-the-board hit to the consumer will always disproportionately affect people who have the least income.
THIS is the piece too many people cannot comprehend or process, and THAT is what the BC NDP are counting on.

butcher asked what's in it for the BC NDP to do the EHT this way, forcing employers to pay instead of tacking it onto our income tax. It seems quite obvious to many of us here, the BC NDP are counting on folk who genuinely believe the BC NDP would only do what's best for the electorate, who refuse to admit or simply cannot comprehend that with these shell games, it is always the people with the least who bear the brunt of increased costs AND unintended consequences (like having to take on different tasks and/or reduced hours).

Businesses are not expected to adjust their prices depending on the customer/client's income. People living under the poverty line pay the same for a dozen eggs as those earning more.

Businesses are not responsible for ensuring the taxpayers of BC understand what hidden taxes are included in the cost of eggs and everything they purchase. Surely we should expect this transparency and accountability from the government, regardless of party, and yet people who want us to believe they support NDP policy out of concern for people living in poverty continue to support policy that further entrenches hidden taxation and ensures increased cost of everything for all.

People who don't believe the BC NDP are incapable of making poor policy decisions and cannot connect the dots will continue to insist it's solely the greedy business owners (for example those dastardly Egg Farmers of BC who are obviously raking in extreme profits without giving their hens any kind of a raise) who are forcing the cost of eggs, and everything else, to rise.
Pete Podoski
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Pete Podoski »

Veovis wrote:The employer I work for held a management meeting to address the health tax with one simple directive, and that was to increase the fees to cover it as the company was not going to just absorb this cost.

Other companies may be different but I doubt it. The cost will be downloaded as much if not all to bottom line consumers

Same here. We increased prices 4% for 2020, and the accountants said 2% was for the health tax.

The rest was for our lease going up. How much of that is because of the property tax increase from the city to cover off their health tax costs? Some I am sure.

This study by the U.B.C.M. shows costs to municipalities doubling from the old M.S.P. at full rate and quadrupling from the 2018 half rate.

https://www.ubcm.ca/assets/Resolutions~ ... 0Final.pdf

Make no mistake, prices are going up and businesses are passing the health tax back on us.
Be sure to read Justin Trudeau's new autobiography: Sunny Day Sketches of a Small Mind
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Exactly, and the poorest amongst us that were not paying anything before are now paying on most everything they purchase. And as was mentioned in some cases they are paying more than once. The distribution company adds, the trucking company adds to that and the seller adds to that. Percentage on top of percentage adds up. All of it hidden.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Therefore; the cause of the price increease is due to what?

announced Friday that the cost of building the pipeline expansion has soared from an initial estimate of $7.4 billion to $12.6 billion.

In a conference call with reporters, Anderson said increased material and labour costs are to blame for the cost overruns, along with years-long legal troubles and renewed Indigenous consultation efforts that also added to the final total.

The project is still profitable after all the set-backs.
Despite the sizable increase from the initial 2017 cost estimate, Anderson said the project will be profitable because much of its capacity has already been sold to major oil producers like Suncor and Cenvous on 20-year contracts. He said the project will generate $1.5 billion a year in cash flow when it's fully operational.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “B.C.”