Mandatory Training for Truckers

dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Mandatory Training for Truckers

Post by dreamon »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#342859
Trailer fire.jpg
How do you achieve this?
You don't use your tractor service brakes, or select correct gear and jake brake, instead you ride the trailer brakes down the hill.
Why? Because you own or lease the tractor, are responsible for the maintenance on same, or have a boss that directs you to do this, you have not been properly trained that you can in fact descend the hill with minimal service brake application (correct gear and jake), or want to save time by travelling faster than you would with correct gear.
The trailer is owned by someone else so you do not care about it.

The CVSE needs to out these drivers, charge them with dangerous driving, under the wildfire act as well and cancel their commercial license.
Their is zero excuse for these fires.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Misses the possibility of having disk brakes on the newer tractor and
drum brakes on the older trailer.

Different forces of friction, different heat dissipation.
Great breaking force feel yet the drum system gets over-worked.

I've not heard of spiking the trailer to save tractor brakes for a few
decades. It "used" to be a thing though, before engine braking technology
advanced to present levels.

Agree, there is little excuse for such fires. That said; when one is pulling a different trailer
for every different load, saving precious driving hours from the task of live-loading,
you\re not always going to have a consistent mechanical system to work with.

Better training for truckers starts with better training for all aspects of road users as
they work their way up to the decision to become said trucker.

A dysfunctional system will only produce mediocre results.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

i have run with disk / drum combo's without any issues, however i am usually light footed.
my favorite is of course disk all around.

the fellow i used to drive on the ice roads with always told me Brakes are Cheap. use them if I need them but never abuse them.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

No doubt about that.

The rookies will still be forced to work for lousy companies telling them how to manipulate their logs.
And greedy drivers will continue doing it for the extra hundred dollars for at the end of the week.

Plus I don't think it will take long for some driving schools to guarantee a pass by hiring their own professional drivers to take the test.
I have heard they have been doing just that for years anyway.
That is always going to be a problem when an entire culture group all look alike to us.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/348525 ... -Kootenays

Personally I am more forgiving of the Humboldt driver.
At least he didn't have any experience.

I can almost bet they have 1 thing in common.
Paid by the trip or mileage, not by the hour.
I feel the roads will become much safer if they outlawed that.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 5:03 pm Paid by the trip or mileage, not by the hour.
Not gonna disagree, although it can't be an open -ended clock for people to
take advantage of, because they will.
That's a given.

Not much for ethics left in this world, sadly.

Getting paid to be stopped for traffic is one thing. Not moving for every excuse in the
book, quite another.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 5:03 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/348525 ... -Kootenays

I can almost bet they have 1 thing in common.
Paid by the trip or mileage, not by the hour.
It would make zero difference to the way a "driver" behaves on the road. I've seen them paid every way you can think of and the same ones that drive like A holes paid by the load do the same crap when they get paid by the mile or finally by the hour. The reasons vary, I just want to get it done and get home, trying to beat a storm, boredom, staying ahead of traffic, on and on. I've been driving truck for over twenty years, when I was young and immature I drove like an idiot too at times but I guess I grew up, and now I buy the fuel and pay for tires and repairs. That driver should have been off the road permanently a long time ago with his record in my opinion. We need a better way of weeding out bad drivers, changing how they're paid isn't it.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

django wrote: Oct 14th, 2021, 6:15 pm now I buy the fuel and pay for tires and repairs.
I have never had to buy anything but if I break the truck I am assigned I can either wait a week for the mechanic to get to it or fix it myself.
So I tended not to abuse them.
Some of us sort of had a competition to see whom can use the least amount of fuel over the same trip too.

However the only thing I have transported the last 2 years and 8 months is several thousand human lives, along with some dogs and one parrot named Buddy.
I prefer it this way, even though Buddy will steal my lunch if I let him.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Think I was driving behind you. :cuss:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

It wasn't all that long ago when trucks had sub 400hp motors, 10 speed transmissions and still crawled their way over the Coq.

I did one season up North hauling B's with a worn out engine we were certain wasn't pumping out 300hp.
Since I knew the road well, started charging at the hills and kept my foot into it, I was keeping up to 500hp trucks and almost pushing the WestCan company trucks up the hills.

Oh I wasn't conserving fuel that year.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Its highly annoying trying to unhook then hook up to another one when it's minus a lot out side. You are usually trying to park downhill so you don't require chains to drop a trailer!! Then you get part way out and spin out!!! Arrggggghhh!! When hooking up you want enough momentum to get under but also want to avoid slamming to knock yer teeth out!!! A little diesel fuel in a spray bottle works wonders. Even at minus a lot the diesel will give enough lubrication to help jaws lock but it's not fool proof. Just gives you a sense of wow that'll help and hope you don't drop a trailer in the advance left turn lane crossing the 4 lane part!!! [icon_lol2.gif]
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Noisy Boater wrote: Dec 27th, 2021, 3:53 pm Its highly annoying trying to unhook then hook up to another one when it's minus a lot out side. You are usually trying to park downhill so you don't require chains to drop a trailer!! Then you get part way out and spin out!!! Arrggggghhh!! When hooking up you want enough momentum to get under but also want to avoid slamming to knock yer teeth out!!! A little diesel fuel in a spray bottle works wonders. Even at minus a lot the diesel will give enough lubrication to help jaws lock but it's not fool proof. Just gives you a sense of wow that'll help and hope you don't drop a trailer in the advance left turn lane crossing the 4 lane part!!! [icon_lol2.gif]
Todays truckers.........
In the 1970's when I drove logging trucks, we ran in -30F, pulled two or three trips out of the Monashees into Lumby or Lavington, put the chains on and off a few times every trip, stirred our coffee with our thumb etc.
Put alcohol in the brakes during the day and into ourselves every night, out of bed at 2am under the loader at 4 am and unloading at the mill at 7am.
Course the pay wasn't great for the hours we put in, and wondered why the dog did not bark when a guy came by to visit.
We're lost but we're making good time.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I've touted for years. The Coq was designed for trucks. Keep the 4 wheelers off,
the trucks will always flow smooth, able to run down, flow up.

So sad that I am so wrong !
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/356618 ... t-and-Hope

Not a dang 4 wheeler even allowed, a perfect trucking scenario. :cuss: it up ! {hangs head} :147:

I have no answers. How ? Just How ?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

What a total embarrassment.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... le-crashes

Can't blame 4 wheelers for anything going on up there now !

I also remember the days that tire chains for highway use was only to get one
off the road.
Not as a requirement to travel on the road.

Regardless. the ounce proud and revered career as 'trucker' has
completely gone to :cuss: !

Return to “B.C.”