Mandatory Training for Truckers

dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Mandatory Training for Truckers

Post by dreamon »

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... ett-Bridge

Driver and company should receive massive fines.
The driver's failure to properly secure the load that he had full responsibility for caused significant inconvenience, loss of revenue and additional costs to thousands of drivers.

Lazy, incompetent drivers and their owners should hurt, feel serious financial pain as a consequence for their actions or lack of.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

dreamon wrote: Oct 11th, 2023, 11:45 am https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... ett-Bridge

Driver and company should receive massive fines.
The driver's failure to properly secure the load that he had full responsibility for caused significant inconvenience, loss of revenue and additional costs to thousands of drivers.

Lazy, incompetent drivers and their owners should hurt, feel serious financial pain as a consequence for their actions or lack of.
this was not the every day norm up till a few years ago :135: ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

the truth wrote: Oct 11th, 2023, 11:50 am this was not the every day norm up till a few years ago :135: ?
Totally.
What changed? (rhetorical)
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dreamon wrote: Oct 12th, 2023, 9:34 am
the truth wrote: Oct 11th, 2023, 11:50 am this was not the every day norm up till a few years ago :135: ?
Totally.
What changed? (rhetorical)
Politics and policy.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

BUMP

Here's a thought. Maybe a good start with commercial driver training is one
has to be a Canadian citizen for "X" amount of years.
Maybe 5 years ? My initial thought was 10yrs.

Time to get a grip and climatized, maybe learn the language, the laws n' such.

No way should someone who just landed on this soil from wherever else
on the planet be gifted a license to operate combination vehicles up to,
and at times exceeding 63.5 Mt. (140,000lbs)

Having Canadian Transport company recruiters scouring the planet to find
their next batch of seat warmers should be criminal.

No different than the history of coal mines or rail road construction of a
Century, or so, ago.

Meh, more where they came from, get another.

What a :cuss: bad joke !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

In my opinion this (speed limiters) is long overdue. Too many big trucks exceeding the speed limits; especially on highways like the Coquihalla and Hope Princeton. I wonder if this will apply to Alberta and U.S. registered trucks? If not, its only a bandaid solution but it IS a start.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/480113 ... ial-trucks
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Yeah, what's the ruling for out of province trucks? How will out of province truckers respond to that?
As for the maximum speed of 105, I see that as a bit of a bandaid. 105 will kill you just as quick as 120.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

How will the speed limiters work?
I’m thinking of all the times I’ve gone down Larson Hill NB at 120 and been passed by semis running the next climb.
Will brakes be applied?
Does slipping into neutral bypass the limiter?

Semis should travel at a safe speed for the conditions.
If road is clear, driver paying attention, 120kmh on the Coq is fine.
Mandating slower than traffic speeds just means more passing.
I would prefer they tighten training, monitoring, enforcement and fines.
The number and of semi drivers that lane wander is mind boggling
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Apr 4th, 2024, 11:29 am Yeah, what's the ruling for out of province trucks? How will out of province truckers respond to that?
As for the maximum speed of 105, I see that as a bit of a bandaid. 105 will kill you just as quick as 120.
Perhaps if the rules are different for out of province trucks, then they should do as I've seen in Washington State. Speed limit signs for trucks are LOWER than cars and increased enforcement. I found it quite nice in that state as there isn't as much speeding, period, as State Troopers don't mess around and they are always out there. Too many truckers here still think that they can safely do 120 kph on the Coquihalla even in Winter (they don't always lower those variable speed slgns, when they should). Truckers in BC won't be happy as time is money and most are paid by the km or trip; not by the hour.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

dreamon wrote: Apr 4th, 2024, 5:34 pm How will the speed limiters work?
I’m thinking of all the times I’ve gone down Larson Hill NB at 120 and been passed by semis running the next climb.
Will brakes be applied?
Does slipping into neutral bypass the limiter?

Semis should travel at a safe speed for the conditions.
If road is clear, driver paying attention, 120kmh on the Coq is fine.
Mandating slower than traffic speeds just means more passing.
I would prefer they tighten training, monitoring, enforcement and fines.
The number and of semi drivers that lane wander is mind boggling
The speed limiters are just a change to the ecm programming, so it’s electronically limited and only works on trucks built after a certain year that have an ecm. There’s not many left on the road that don’t. No the brakes are not applied, it just cuts the fuel off, same as most passenger vehicles that are also limited. Yes throwing the truck into neutral allows the truck to freewheel (Mexican overdrive) down a hill. It’s a dangerous move as once you exceed the limiter in neutral you cannot get the truck back into gear until you’ve slowed down enough to get the revs up and place it back in gear.
I don’t believe this change will do much, Ontario has had this same mandate for about twenty years (105km/hour limit) there’s probably more carnage on the highways than ever involving Ontario trucks.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Apr 4th, 2024, 11:29 am Yeah, what's the ruling for out of province trucks? How will out of province truckers respond to that?
Does not apply to commercial vehicles that are registered out of province. It’s a bit peculiar though because carrying tire chains in the winter is a BC only thing in Canada, yet it applies to every heavy commercial vehicle that enters the province, no matter what jurisdiction they come from. Not sure why limiters couldn’t be enforced the same way.

Return to “B.C.”