Schools - removal of letter grades

two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Re: Schools - removal of letter grades

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Gilchy wrote:The end goal of doing away with letter grades is not "everyone gets a ribbon", rather that individualized and specific feedback and guidance will better guide students in their learning, identifying strengths and areas of weakness to be worked on.

Comparisons and competition can still exist, but on a much more specific level. For a silly analogy, let's consider evaluating NHL players. Elias Petterson and Shea Weber are amongst the very best hockey players in the world, and graded by letters would both be an "A+". But the letter grade alone doesn't demonstrate or describe Petterson's speed, playmaking abilities or sneaky dekes. Nor does the letter grade inform on Weber's physical play, slapshot, defensive abilities and leadership.

No one is saying the performance doesn't matter, rather that the metric to judge performance can be more specific and productive than a frequently subjective arbitrary letter grade. This helps allow students " to find their strengths and to develop those instead of wasting time on the things that are unrealistic" as you describe.

And if someone is so emotional or not in a good place that they feel they have to stay home, it is probably best they do so, rather than come in and be unproductive at best, or create an environment that is harmful to morale, or customer satisfaction. Or should we go back to the 1950s, were no one talked about feelings, and instead were simply alcoholics to try and deal with the stress.

Using your example of Elias Petterson and Shea Weber being the very best hockey players in the world............is that not reflected in their contracts? How about their popularity, and fan base. We don't need to throw the baby out with the 1950's bath water, but embrace our feelings and not be anal about it.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Continuing with that example, their contracts came from their skillset/attibutes. The skills were developed, which lead to the contracts. That is what the new "grading / feedback" system should be doing as well - developing the skills.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Back in the olden days we got exemptions from writing any one or all final exam(s) if our grades were good enough in that particular subject. Loved it - finished school earlier than most.

Even though percentages were shown on the report card there were teacher comments on areas needing improvement or praise if the student excelled in any way.

There were a couple of times that I was required to write a final exam because the teacher knew I was capable of doing better yet others with a lower grade got away with not writing because they still met the criteria. I think this new system deserves a shot.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Gilchy wrote:The end goal of doing away with letter grades is not "everyone gets a ribbon", rather that individualized and specific feedback and guidance will better guide students in their learning, identifying strengths and areas of weakness to be worked on.

Comparisons and competition can still exist, but on a much more specific level. For a silly analogy, let's consider evaluating NHL players. Elias Petterson and Shea Weber are amongst the very best hockey players in the world, and graded by letters would both be an "A+". But the letter grade alone doesn't demonstrate or describe Petterson's speed, playmaking abilities or sneaky dekes. Nor does the letter grade inform on Weber's physical play, slapshot, defensive abilities and leadership.

No one is saying the performance doesn't matter, rather that the metric to judge performance can be more specific and productive than a frequently subjective arbitrary letter grade. This helps allow students " to find their strengths and to develop those instead of wasting time on the things that are unrealistic" as you describe.

And if someone is so emotional or not in a good place that they feel they have to stay home, it is probably best they do so, rather than come in and be unproductive at best, or create an environment that is harmful to morale, or customer satisfaction. Or should we go back to the 1950s, were no one talked about feelings, and instead were simply alcoholics to try and deal with the stress.

While what you say about the emotional aspect of things may have some merit, most of the time from what I have experienced it is usually something ridiculous like me and my significant other had a fight and I'm upset. This is basically childish behavior and no excuse for missing work. Seriously if you are that soft good luck to you in the future. I and most other employers are not going to put up with such nonsense. Life is hard get on with it. If you can't control your emotions in these kinds of circumstances you might as well go move back in with mom and day and do some chores for an allowance. Real jobs are for grown ups.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Wow reading a ton of uninformed opinions from people on this thread.

The students will be graded against the "standard" and either will meet or not meet the standard at varying degrees.

This is not a "cop out" of grading the students. It isn't even close to the "participation ribbon" argument.

As a parent who has had a student that instead of a low grade received a "not meeting standard" sure felt like my child needed to improve. The professionals that do this for a living have received positive results in this new system because it works.

What is a C or a C+ or a B or B+ really say. If you student comes home with "exceeding standard" it sure means a whole lot more that we can understand.

Its almost 2020, lets let the process evolve before jumping all over it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tantor wrote:While what you say about the emotional aspect of things may have some merit, most of the time from what I have experienced it is usually something ridiculous like me and my significant other had a fight and I'm upset. This is basically childish behavior and no excuse for missing work. Seriously if you are that soft good luck to you in the future. I and most other employers are not going to put up with such nonsense. Life is hard get on with it. If you can't control your emotions in these kinds of circumstances you might as well go move back in with mom and day and do some chores for an allowance. Real jobs are for grown ups.

I think you've missed - well just about everything. We're not talking about grown ups or the "real world" but children learning.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm still pondering whether removal of letter grades is really to improve things for the children, or just another way for the BCTF to make it as difficult as possible to keep tabs on teacher performance? :135:

I mean if every kid gets a ribbon, it must mean the teacher is skilled beyond belief. :biggrin:

Guess I've just heard the disingenuous "it's all about the children" a few too many times to buy whatever the BCTF is selling.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

https://news.smus.ca/2017/09/29/no-lett ... port-card/
Removing letter grades is not a shift towards a feel-good, kumbaya education where academics don’t matter. It’s the exact opposite, in fact. This is academic rigour.

Just because there aren't the letter grades doesn't mean the child isn't being "graded". I've never been handed a letter grade in any job I've had. Good grief.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

There’s a definite “uphill both ways in the snow” vibe going on in this thread.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I have taught and reported in a school system which did not use letter grades. The reports gave far more detail about all aspects covered in the curriculum, the student's performance in relation to them, and definitely weren't based on "unsubstantiated non-sense". Parents who were new to the reporting method (at that time was almost all of them) were given individual interviews to answer their questions, and plan future educational goals to help their child continue to achieve and progress. This reporting method did not hinder either the high performing students or those progressing more slowly or with learning disabilities. For those raised with the grading mentality, it is a shift in thinking, but parents and students soon get up to speed on how it works.
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Fancy wrote:
tantor wrote:While what you say about the emotional aspect of things may have some merit, most of the time from what I have experienced it is usually something ridiculous like me and my significant other had a fight and I'm upset. This is basically childish behavior and no excuse for missing work. Seriously if you are that soft good luck to you in the future. I and most other employers are not going to put up with such nonsense. Life is hard get on with it. If you can't control your emotions in these kinds of circumstances you might as well go move back in with mom and day and do some chores for an allowance. Real jobs are for grown ups.

I think you've missed - well just about everything. We're not talking about grown ups or the "real world" but children learning.

Nope didn't miss it at all. We are talking about teaching children, children that need to be taught the things they will require to make it as adults. Children absolutely need to be taught that trying their hardest and giving their all is what will set them up for success in life. If not what is the point of school, just a government run babysitter? More and more of our children are graduating without any skills. Not even basic ones! So clearly the new style of teaching and new curriculum isn't doing our children justice. As I stated in my previous reply, I am an employer in the valley and I hire students fresh out of school at times. I am left wondering what it was exactly that they were being taught. Years ago this was not the case. So children are not LEARNING what they need to LEARN.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I don't believe that has anything to do with the grade system. The criteria to learn the material is there and being implemented regardless of whether there is an A assigned or not. It should be how well the child is absorbing what he/she is suppose to be learning and that will be up to the teacher to inform the parents by way of the report card. As noted before it's up to the teacher to know how well the student is doing and where the student needs to focus on to improve how they are handling each and every subject. Some students can ace an exam without knowing what they have learned or forget it soon after and others struggle through school yet have a good grasp in the real world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tantor wrote:More and more of our children are graduating without any skills. Not even basic ones!
Yet that is happening with the grade system now. Better to have the children focus on what they need to learn than worry about what letter grade they get.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Fancy wrote:I've never been handed a letter grade in any job I've had. Good grief.

I've been handed a percentage grade at every job I've had, from fast food until now. That grade determined my raise or if I even was offered a raise, each year. Pitted against all others in the same department, fighting and competing over the biggest chunk of the money allocated to raises for the department. Some colleagues care less about the scores and raises and prefer to just work at their own pace and others have worked really hard to be in the top performers.

So good grief right back to you!
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Fancy wrote:I don't believe that has anything to do with the grade system. The criteria to learn the material is there and being implemented regardless of whether there is an A assigned or not. It should be how well the child is absorbing what he/she is suppose to be learning and that will be up to the teacher to inform the parents by way of the report card. As noted before it's up to the teacher to know how well the student is doing and where the student needs to focus on to improve how they are handling each and every subject. Some students can ace an exam without knowing what they have learned or forget it soon after and others struggle through school yet have a good grasp in the real world.

Now it's you who is missing the point. My point is the letter grade system has worked for decades and during those decades the system was graduating young people with a decent education. Young people with good work ethics. Now that seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Is it due to the change of letter grading maybe, maybe not. What I know is that I was always afraid around report card time of getting anything less than a C in anything. A letter grade is very basic so that even a child can get a gist of the level of work that they are doing, especially compared to others in their class and there you go a taste of the competition that they will face in the real world. Also when I achieved an A or B I was as proud as a peacock! I knew that I had worked hard for it! Oh look at that a lesson that hard work pays off!

Return to “B.C.”