Joyriding Teens do thousands of dollars damage......

Boosted632
Banned

Re: Joyriding Teens do thousands of dollars damage......

Post by Boosted632 »

dirtybiker wrote:^^But there is the crux, there is in no way that dollar amount
of damage.

Just the farmer looking for a payout.

Who came up with that number ?

Certainly not an independent estimator that knows anything about farming,
it's practices, and the value of the crop, or even at what stage of maturity
the crop was at.
I think at this time of year, final cut, the least profitable, would have already
been done.

Those ruts mean zero, or close to in the grand scheme of things.
even if left alone, would naturally infill with the next rain.

Farmer trying fo harvest a wallet crop.

exactly
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

alanjh595 wrote:
my5cents wrote:ICBC's only job is to pay the victim for his damage. ICBC doesn't take away licenses.
As for driving anywhere ? No, in my world they wouldn't have vehicles to drive.
This is a very large area, it will be fixed with tractors and machinery, not shovels and rakes. These kids shouldn't be operating anything that has a motor.

BUT, they do have the power to raise the insurance rates on that driver to recover their loses. This driver should have an additional 30% surcharge added to any vehicle that he drives, until the full amount of damages have been repaid.

They will be recovering the full loss because the driver intentionally damaged property, which is a breach of coverage. They honor the claim and collect back.

If that was my kid, the car would be history, sold to pay some of the damage. It used to be that a parent that had signed for his kid to get a DL could withdraw the permission. That was changed and all a parent could do was request that the Supt of MV's take away the license. Don't know if that's been changed back or not.

Seems strange, if I give permission, I should be able to take it away and let the kid apply himself once he turns 19.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

dirtybiker wrote:^^But there is the crux, there is in no way that dollar amount
of damage.

Just the farmer looking for a payout.

Who came up with that number ?

Certainly not an independent estimator that knows anything about farming,
it's practices, and the value of the crop, or even at what stage of maturity
the crop was at.
I think at this time of year, final cut, the least profitable, would have already
been done.

Those ruts mean zero, or close to in the grand scheme of things.
even if left alone, would naturally infill with the next rain.

Farmer trying fo harvest a wallet crop.

Don't lose sleep over it.

ICBC will have the damage professionally assessed, long before payment is considered.

There are some surprises out there. Like those grey metal boxes, about 18" high and 48" X 48" that hold Telus cable. Nothing around them protecting them. When they get taken out by an out of control vehicle, $100,000 isn't unusual.

I think the moral of the story is, "If you don't want me to high ball the damage, stay off my land".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Boosted632 wrote:wow that's almost as much damage as when they disc it and replant in the spring …….

This is an alfalfa crop, which doesn't get disced and replanted every year - more like every 5-10 years, depending on where you live and what your soil is like. In order to restore this field, the farmer is looking at having to do just that, but if the crop is only 2 years old, then that is an added expense of around $7-10,000.00. Since these little snots decided that they should have some fun in the field, they are responsible, and should have to pay.

Zoso wrote:half hour squeezing the ruts down with a tracked skidsteer be all over but the crying. Big deal .

Takes more than that. The skidsteer itself with tracks would be hard on the crop. What people don't understand is the effort it takes to grow a successful crop that is a saleable product. Your statement is the same as seeing a car that is vandalized with windows broken and been beaten with a bat and saying.... meh.. no big deal. A can of spray paint, some plastic and duct tape and it will all be good.

This is a farmers method of making money to feed his family and run his farm. It's not something that should ever be marginalized or minimized. It's the same concept as somebody intentionally driving through the window of a store just for the fun of it. It costs money to fix, period.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

if you went 5 to 10 years you're not growing hay you're growing weeds
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

If memory serves me right we easily got 5 closer to ten years. If you have good land and a good crop of hay very few weeds grow. We never sold any but our feed for our own herd was very clean. These kids deserve some severe punishment for the damage they did.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Boosted632 wrote:if you went 5 to 10 years you're not growing hay you're growing weeds

Going to show that you really don't know. Some farmers or ranchers go 10 years plus if they take care of their fields and crops, fertilize properly and irrigate well.

I am talking alfalfa here... not a crop of annuals.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

Boosted632 wrote:if you went 5 to 10 years you're not growing hay you're growing weeds

Thats what he will have now in the ruts, thats the problem.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Tony wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:wow that's almost as much damage as when they disc it and replant in the spring …….

This is an alfalfa crop, which doesn't get disced and replanted every year - more like every 5-10 years, depending on where you live and what your soil is like. In order to restore this field, the farmer is looking at having to do just that, but if the crop is only 2 years old, then that is an added expense of around $7-10,000.00. Since these little snots decided that they should have some fun in the field, they are responsible, and should have to pay.

Zoso wrote:half hour squeezing the ruts down with a tracked skidsteer be all over but the crying. Big deal .

Takes more than that. The skidsteer itself with tracks would be hard on the crop. What people don't understand is the effort it takes to grow a successful crop that is a saleable product. Your statement is the same as seeing a car that is vandalized with windows broken and been beaten with a bat and saying.... meh.. no big deal. A can of spray paint, some plastic and duct tape and it will all be good.

This is a farmers method of making money to feed his family and run his farm. It's not something that should ever be marginalized or minimized. It's the same concept as somebody intentionally driving through the window of a store just for the fun of it. It costs money to fix, period.

Sure . And i suppose a helicopter took the crop off last summer ?
Strong and free
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Based on the picture this farmer will most likely have to plow it under and prepare to reseed.
impo add up hours + fuel & seed and send the bill directly to the kids if unable to pay... then the parents.
As well double whatever hours (farmers bill) are and have those kids do community service for that amount of hours.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Couple of little pukes. They should be made to work at the farm to pay off their destruction. It will teach them a lesson as well as some important man skills.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bigtimeoperations wrote:Couple of little pukes. They should be made to work at the farm to pay off their destruction. It will teach them a lesson as well as some important man skills.

Hopefully the farmer has someone to keep an eye on them, if not then it's not worth the hassle.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Zoso wrote:
Sure . And i suppose a helicopter took the crop off last summer ?

Ahhhh...no, but I guarantee that his tractor didn't leave ruts like that anywhere.....
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

It always amazes me when people make excuses for why others committed crimes or wrongdoing.

This is not something that should be swept under the rug. These boys need to learn a very hard lesson.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Having to file a claim last year through a lawyer I can honestly say the farmer is doing the right thing. Ask for the moon and the sky, and ICBC will come back with something much lower so you can meet at a lower reasonable level. It will be a negotiated settlement that is way below what the farmer is asking for.

Return to “B.C.”