Seattle versus Vancouver new rentals

mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Seattle versus Vancouver new rentals

Post by mattinkelowna »

Seattle created 13x more rental units than Vancouver last year, and landlords are now competing to attract tenants, even offering 1 month free rent and $2,000 gift cards.

If Seattle can do it, why can't BC keep up the pace with increasing the inventory? More availability would definitely benefit the economy, while making big cities like Vancouver, Kelowna and Victoria more affordable.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/seattle ... al-housing
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Seattle versus Vancouver new rentals

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

The last time I was in Vancouver, ten days ago, there were construction cranes everywhere. Have you driven by Brentwood in Burnaby? My gawd, huge towers going up. So many that driving along Lougheed made us feel claustrophobic. There's only so many construction companies and workers.
Maybe many of the new condos in the Vancouver area are for sale and not rental units.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Pretty sure it is related to tax rates. Seattle likely encouraged construction. BC does all it can to hold builders back
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

There's quite a few places here in Vancouver that were overing a years supply of avocado toast for new owners [icon_lol2.gif]

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... f-avocado/

bb49 wrote:The last time I was in Vancouver, ten days ago, there were construction cranes everywhere. Have you driven by Brentwood in Burnaby? My gawd, huge towers going up.

Not only Brentwood, but Metrotown, Langara, Yaletown, Mount Pleasant, Richmond Center all have new projects going on right now.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

BC should build way more housing units. Oh yeah....... and reduce my taxes.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I've noticed that Central Green towers have huge signs offering free month of rent as well.
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Even Steven wrote:I've noticed that Central Green towers have huge signs offering free month of rent as well.

Kelowna's new ghetto
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Not one of you would survive a week in Seattle, ya know, cuz all the Starbucks there [icon_lol2.gif]
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

1791 wrote:Kelowna's new ghetto

I don't think you've ever been in a ghetto lol.

Return to “B.C.”