ICBC more accountable

falklandjack

ICBC more accountable

Post by falklandjack »

Just what we need at ICBC. Another bureaucrat hanging off the teat of the government. Wonder how much this will cost us? The NDP just won't accept the fact that ICBC should go. Maybe it had it's place back in the 70's, but no longer. Just open the system to private and see what happens. If ICBC is so great, they should be able to survive in the open market. I work with people from all over Canada. What I pay for the my ICBC insurance for a 11 year old truck for 1 year, they can insure a truck, a car, a motorbike and an RV. And they don't have to pay a short term license fee for either the bike or the RV if they choose to only insure for 4-6 months. Hard to ride a motorbike or haul an RV year round in most of B.C. More accountable, what a joke!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: ICBC more accountable

Post by flamingfingers »

^You have the option of just insuring a basic $200,000 liability with ICBC and going to a private insurer for a top up and all the optional insurance you want. Try it....you may like it....or not.
Chill
falklandjack

Post by falklandjack »

I do purchase all the extras from private already. To insure my 2001 motorcycle for 6 months is $700.00 for the bare bones from ICBC. I pay an additional $400.00 for fire/theft for a year from private.
wascobi
Fledgling

Post by wascobi »

I tried private insurance years ago. I was rear ended at a stop sign at low speed. my truck needed a new bumper and hitch. it took six calls with six different call takers to realize I was getting the film flam from an insurance company based on Vancouver island. cost me about $900 out of pocket.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I had a hit and run on my truck and the deductablr from ICBC is $700 for that.

My private Co covered it. Didn't cost me a cent.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote:I had a hit and run on my truck and the deductablr from ICBC is $700 for that.

My private Co covered it. Didn't cost me a cent.

You obviously have collision coverage with a private insurance company.

If you had collision coverage with ICBC you would have paid whatever deductible you chose for collision coverage with ICBC.

Perhaps ask your private insurance company... if you didn't purchase collision coverage with them, would they have covered a hit and run on your vehicle for any deductible amount ? No.

In ADDITION, if you didn't purchase collision coverage from ICBC ie, no coverage if you hit something or someone hit you, ICBC covers your property for a loss with an unidentified vehicle for a $750 deductible.

By the way this free coverage, or if you prefer "included coverage" under your basic AutoPlan also covers bodily injury from an unidentified vehicle for up to $200,000.

Interesting, you didn't buy coverage for collision from ICBC, but ICBC would cover your loss for a $750 deducible and they are the bad guy ?

You've said $700 deductible, it's actually $750.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

falklandjack wrote:I do purchase all the extras from private already. To insure my 2001 motorcycle for 6 months is $700.00 for the bare bones from ICBC. I pay an additional $400.00 for fire/theft for a year from private.

You are correct to complain about motorcycle coverage costs with ICBC.

They charge too much. I pay about the same for basic on my bike for 6 months as I do for my car for 12 months.

Also there is no consideration for the fact that one can't ride 12 months a year in the interior, ICBC still charges a surcharge for the partial year of coverage and partial year of number plates.

They will waive the charge if you cancel and purchase a storage policy from ICBC for the non-driving portion of the year. If you do that you're cancelling one coverage to place the other on and then cancelling that to place the other.

I get my M/C own damage coverage from a private company I pay for the full year and its prorated knowing I don't ride a full year. It covers the bike year round for theft fire and collision.

Time to ride all I need to buy is the basic ICBC coverage and plates.

Last year I only plated the bike for 5 months, they charged me $14 for plates for 5 months and a $10 surcharge for short term. Pretty good scam, doesn't cost a cent more for them to issue a plate for 5 months than 12 months.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:Interesting, you didn't buy coverage for collision from ICBC, but ICBC would cover your loss for a $750 deducible and they are the bad guy ?

You've said $700 deductible, it's actually $750.

I stand corrected but you are wrong because I never said ICBC was the bad guy only that my company of choice covered the deductible.

I have used their coverage for many years and have saved a pile of money compared to ICBC's rates.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

I watched Eby explanation last night as to why costs are higher for auto insurance in BC. Basically in a nutshell he said because in BC we have better coverage then other provinces. He also mentioned that he is not entertaining any privatization. Wow. The more accountability we are now getting is another band aide fix that will not reduce our premiums.
Again I will vote in the next election for the party that promises privatization of the car insurance business.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I agree this government should hold tight to the anchor that's ICBC :up:
lcpp64
Board Meister

Post by lcpp64 »

ICBC
BC Hydro
BC Ferries
BC Housing
BC NDP “current”

We all are paying a huge amount of tax in these “BC” Owned Corporations. Accountability is non-existent. It is a tax base for the Provincial Government, that is also used for political influence, & they are not going to be straight with us.

You want changes? Vote with your dollars & Vote whenever there is an election & protest when you can. Im very tired of Government Corruption & I do what I can to expose it where I can.

I agree; We need straight talk and straight financials (nothing hidden) from ICBC. After all, we BCers are all Shareholders & the Board is not being accountable to us.

Return to “B.C.”