ALL BC Parks Now Closed

csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: ALL BC Parks Now Closed

Post by csm »

Jaide_d wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/296738/BC-Parks-closing-as-a-result-of-COVID-19-ahead-of-long-weekend

Anyone else feel like this is overreach?

We are being forced to crowd in the streets in order to get vitamin D and fresh air. Not all of us have yards we can run our dogs around in or play with our kids. Hell, some condos and apartments dont even have windows that can open! This is going to cause a lot of people to go to Walmart/grocery stores simply because it's the only place they can even go now to not feel cooped up. The streets are FULL of people walking everywhere here in Kelowna because they are being funneled into town rather than having the ability to spread out on trails and parks. I get closing the more narrow of trails where physical distancing is hard to do, but a blanket ban seems way over the top. :(

A lot of people rely on the outdoors to help keep them sane. Mental health is just as important as physical health. I have a feeling that pushing this strict of rules will test the population's willingness to abide, and in turn, make them start to question the actually reasonable physical distancing rules.

From the Facebook comments section (1500+ comments) of BC Parks announcement, I'd say easily 80-90% are opposed to this movement. That is a LOT of unhappy people. Unhappy people don't tend to comply as well...

Viruses are more easily transmitted "Inside" where the air movement is stagnant - they don't survive well in the open air.
Natural sunlight also emits ultra-violet rays - that are deadly to viruses.

I think it's actually much more about "Control" and this is a really good example of how we can be controlled - even in a so-called free and democratic society.

There is no reason to close the parks if people respect "Social Distancing". If you live together, what's the difference about being together outside or inside? Typical of the unilateral mentality of Beaurocrats and politicians and their "overkill" policies.

I also find it interesting that there are now tens of thousands who have had and recovered from the virus - are they immune? Do they also have to practice "Social Distancing"?

Why can't they go back to work and help get the economy back moving?

Maybe they should all be given ID cards or have a mark tattooed on their foreheads to identify them to the Virus Police - and let them, at least, enjoy a more normal life!

Too many unanswered questions - too much drama!
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
Richadio
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Richadio »

Fancy wrote:
techrtr wrote:So, it's okay to have a hundred people wandering around a grocery store, touching every can or vegetable or piece of fresh fruit on the shelves, but it's not okay to park your vehicle or use the boat launch in a provincial park during daylight hours?

No one said it's okay but one is an essential service and the other is not.

How do you consider a park as not essential? Do you not go to a park to exercise or just walk, clear your head?
FREEDOM's don't come from a vaccine, PRIVILEGE's do.
The TRUTH never denies EXAMINATION.
Replacement migration = White genocide.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Richadio wrote:How do you consider a park as not essential? Do you not go to a park to exercise or just walk, clear your head?

A park is NOT an essential service. End of story.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Fancy wrote:A park is NOT an essential service. End of story.

But the liquor store is [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Richadio wrote:How do you consider a park as not essential? Do you not go to a park to exercise or just walk, clear your head?

Provincial parks are closed, city parks are open including the Greenway & rail trail.
If you live in Lake Country Spion Kop isn't a provincial park.
Last edited by GordonH on Apr 22nd, 2020, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

OKkayak wrote:But the liquor store is [icon_lol2.gif]

Thank gawd!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Provincial parks are closed, city parks are open including the Greenway & rail trail.

West Kelowna city parks open too as far as I know.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Warning though

If you plan on going on mountain trails be fully aware of ticks, both for yourself & any pets you take.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Is that the ONLY location to, "exercise or just walk, clear your head" ?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Warning though

If you plan on going on mountain trails be fully aware of ticks, both for yourself & any pets you take.

Yup - lots out there now.
Richadio
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Richadio »

Fancy wrote:
GordonH wrote:Provincial parks are closed, city parks are open including the Greenway & rail trail.

West Kelowna city parks open too as far as I know.

I though you said End of Story but here you are promoting West Kelowna parks are open. oxymoron
FREEDOM's don't come from a vaccine, PRIVILEGE's do.
The TRUTH never denies EXAMINATION.
Replacement migration = White genocide.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Richadio wrote:I though you said End of Story but here you are promoting West Kelowna parks are open. oxymoron

lol - no I'm not promoting anything. It's not a secret what parks are open and which ones aren't - it's all over the news. Provincial ones are closed (see OP).
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

GordonH wrote:Warning though

Don't forget the grazing rights that some ranchers have. Some people may not realize that cattle aren't always that friendly. Especially when the calves are there. Wouldn't want to mess with those bulls either. Or the bears waking up, moose and deer giving birth. Maybe think about keeping fido on the leash.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

UPDATE 2:45 p.m.

Premier John Horgan addressed the closure of B.C. Parks during a media availability Wednesday afternoon.

When asked why regional parks and trails have been allowed to remain open, while provincial parks are fully closed, Horgan indicated the system-wide provincial closure is to discourage travel.

It's a question also being asked by Fintry residents, who have been dealing with an influx of visitors in their neighbourhood as people park and walk into the provincial park there on foot.

“Dr. Henry has been pretty clear, she’s not suggesting people hide under their beds, she’s saying that if you are going to get out and enjoy the outdoors— do so close to home,” Horgan said. “The more travel people do to get to regional or provincial parks, creates more risk for other citizens.”

Horgan says they are working on a plan to open up public spaces in the “days and weeks ahead” and asked residents to use regional and municipal parks until that time.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -in-Fintry

Hope the residents in Fintry don't have a repeat of ignorant drivers.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The problem with opening Provincial Parks is that the trails in most of them are too narrow for people to be able to safely physical distance.

I would love to be able to use the Parks again, but am prepared to avoid doing so for a few weeks if it helps limit the spread of this disease. It’s not forever folks. I predict the Parks will be open again by June. So what’s the big deal?

I think, for many folks, the “big deal” is simply that they don’t like the Government telling them what to do. And they’re willing to put their own lives, and the lives of others, at risk to make that point. And to them I say, GROW UP.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “B.C.”