45,000 apply for rent aide

8isenough

45,000 apply for rent aide

Post by 8isenough »

I was NOT surprised to read the CEO of Tenants board, say the tenant has to much work to do to apply for the subsidy!

How could a landlord answer the questions only the person applying for a subsidy could know. Should a landlord have the right to ask a tenant about their income?
Other personal questions?
NO, of course not. If you are unemployed or have had hours cut back at work, you know this information. Your landlord does not and should not.

The landlords have mortgages to pay and have to negotiate with their banks.
Not an easy task and plenty of work, I assure you for the landlord.

Keep in mind landlords have no CEO or union to protect themselves or their properties. Many will be at risk of loosing the properties they rent to you. Much easier to fill out some paper work than have to find an new home in shrinking rental units.

So, if you find it is too much work to apply for rent aide, then understand you may be loosing the home you are renting from your landlord. As well, the landlord will loose a rental unit, and many will be lost, making it harder for you to find another home. Seriously, it is not to much work and it is your confidential information to share yourself, not your landlords.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: 45,000 apply for rent aide

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Re: BC Housing says 3,000 payments have already been made to landlords, and another 1,100 will soon go out the door. ( April 27th)

Also :Forty-five thousand British Columbians have applied for rent supplement aid via BC Housing since the program opened April 9.

So this is April 27th... some 18 days since the program opened... and a whooping 3,000 been sent out... my guess is the other
42,000 will be waiting for a long time... but like they always say : " The check is in the mail " lol
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Illegal and tax evading rental suites are not eligible for this program.

That's comic.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Vacancyrate wrote:Illegal and tax evading rental suites are not eligible for this program.

That's comic.

Does the tenant know the owner is tax evading or the suite is illegal? Maybe they should apply to expose them.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

twobits wrote:Does the tenant know the owner is tax evading or the suite is illegal? Maybe they should apply to expose them.

There will be at least a few tax evading landlords that will try to file for this aid and end up get dinged.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

From what I understand the renter places a request for this program.
A number of documents & ID's are needed.

Once received by BC housing they send the Landlord a form that they fill out, then some time later the renter is informed the assistance amount that will be sent directly to landlord.

Friend explain it this way to me, he made a request.

I'm sure some will try to rip the system off, hopefully they get caught quickly.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Vacancyrate wrote:Illegal and tax evading rental suites are not eligible for this program.

That's comic.

By illegal, you mean what?
Illegal by city bylaws, or
Illegal by CRA rules.

If this application is going through BC Housing, I doubt the CRA will be involved.
And I doubt a municipality (bylaws) would have access to this info either.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

That's comic.

Where does it say anything about that in any of the application or government information?
I believe this is entirely false.
You and 71 others Like this post
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Lots of people renting out portions of their homes and will be claiming the entire house is their primary residence when they sell. These people do not want to pay capital gain taxes on that portion of the house that they are renting for profit.

Applying for aid is notifying the government that your house is also a business and not just a residence.

The reason I was made aware of this is a few of my co-workers talked to their landlords about applying for this aid and they were given 500 dollar rent reductions instead.

When you pay rent in cash there is something afoot.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

it is false info LANDM...

BC Housing says it won’t report illegal suites as 20,000 apply for rent supplement

https://www.vicnews.com/news/bc-housing ... upplement/
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Vacancyrate wrote:Lots of people renting out portions of their homes and will be claiming the entire house is their primary residence when they sell. These people do not want to pay capital gain taxes on that portion of the house that they are renting for profit.

Applying for aid is notifying the government that your house is also a business and not just a residence.

The reason I was made aware of this is a few of my co-workers talked to their landlords about applying for this aid and they were given 500 dollar rent reductions instead.

When you pay rent in cash there is something afoot.

Except you have clearly said that illegal suites are not eligible. It was not a nebulous statement.

There is zero truth to that. Anyone who fits the guidelines and has a RTA tenancy is eligible.
And it is the tenants that apply, not the landlord.

For someone who has a name that implies some sort of knowledge of tenancy, there should be a bit of brushing up on what is said, especially when it is said in an absolute way.
You and 71 others Like this post
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

W105 wrote:BC Housing says it won’t report illegal suites as 20,000 apply for rent supplement

https://www.vicnews.com/news/bc-housing ... upplement/

Zoning and tax evasion are two different beasts.

Return to “B.C.”