Sawmill Closure

gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Sawmill Closure

Post by gertlush »

I can see the case for a limited amount but ya, it shouldn't be on the current mass scale.

Oh well, que sera sera. But just remember, those log exports are paying public sector pensions so its either do that or increase taxes. And, since i dont live on VanIsle, *bleep* it :130:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

gertlush wrote: Jan 27th, 2023, 11:24 am I can see the case for a limited amount but ya, it shouldn't be on the current mass scale.
Most of that private timberland was crown granted before 1915 so certain logs are exportable without having to pass the " surplus test" . Can't do too much about that. Also FN's evidently can export as well without to much fuss, at least could 30 years ago.
Otherwise ones having been awarded a timber sale for example, can advertise certain logs on the open market and if there are not any reasonable bids from local users, the logs are deemed "surplus" and can be put up for export.
Of these logs allowed to be exported, red cedar, yellow cedar, high grade fir and high grade spruce are prohibited from export.
With the VERY high cost of harvesting logs on the coast in a mixed stand, some export logs, say high grade hemlock or balsam, can bring the average value up to a point where that block becomes economical to harvest.

So many pros and cons to exporting logs. Creates coastal harvesting jobs while interior mills are shutting down. But, the interior mills are not set up for coastal logs, nor can interior mills turn coastal logs into a profit because of the delivered log cost.( except for red cedar)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Wish I could make it. A respected forester whose articles I appreciated in the Truck Logger Magazine : https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/420787 ... es-in-B-C-

If his voice could be as loud as the :cuss: :swear: brain dead idiots blocking bridges and such instead of going to a job, there might be a more balance discussion on the industry that kick started this province.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

There is so much misguided illusions in the anti-logging movement. So much faux emotion.
The media feeds on it.
The governments bow to it.

I worked in the forest industry for over thirty years, from timber cruising to mill manager. On the coast then in the interior. I've seen it all. I know what's going on out there. It's so frustrating to see the headlines and the stories filled with lies, filled with uneducated emotion.

I'm so glad to be out of it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

I find it ironic because the government also seems to put this huge emphasis on trades employment. Where do they think millwrights, HD mechanics etc work?

"Hey kids, take a trade" And 10 years later your mill shuts down.
polelady
Board Meister

Post by polelady »

The forest industry is on its way out for the most part.....

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/454939 ... usand-cuts

It was going to happen sooner or later BUT wait we have a NG plant being built at Kitimat .... and the climate wokes want to shut down any new builds that use NG like a gong show !!!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

polelady wrote: Oct 31st, 2023, 6:24 pm The forest industry is on its way out for the most part.....
I don't believe it will completely disappear, but the cut has been drastically reduced over the years and as mentioned in the article any investment in re-tooling requires certainty is access to logs.

I was involved in one way or another in the forest industry 1979 to 2018. I'd never recommend anyone getting into it today.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

It's unfortunate that our local mills got gobbled up by that unnamed company in Vernon that seems to be interested only in liquidating the remaining timber in the Okanagan.

I see what's going on out there, and it's simply unsustainable. We'll never see our forests recover in our lifetimes.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “B.C.”