School Zones

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: School Zones

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

maggiedoon wrote: May 13th, 2023, 7:52 pm
Babba_not_Gump wrote: May 13th, 2023, 7:47 pm I've been tailgated going through school zones. And I've been doing 35 or so and the idiots are still *bleep* off.
The vast majority of school zone speeders in our neighborhood are moms in SUV’s.

Oddly enough, thats the group that complains the most about school zone speeders.
Exactly.
And I know a cop in the Lower Mainland who pulled one over, and yes, she was driving a mini van, doing about 100 in a school zone.
And guess what? This wasn't her first.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

GordonH wrote: Sep 4th, 2020, 7:36 am I see numerous parents doing u-turns were there is signage No u-turns i.e on Richter outside Raymer Elementary.
Plus parents letting their child/children to jaywalk across a busy street like Richter at this same Elementary school.

Shame... shame on you very foolish parents.

btw has been happening for many years now.
shouldn't be doing u-turns ANYWHERE! A cop did it right in front of me yesterday..
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mullyman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 8:04 am shouldn't be doing u-turns ANYWHERE! A cop did it right in front of me yesterday..
Read Section 122(1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

my5cents wrote: May 18th, 2023, 8:19 am
mullyman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 8:04 am shouldn't be doing u-turns ANYWHERE! A cop did it right in front of me yesterday..
Read Section 122(1) of the BC Motor Vehicle Act
i have... using that section does not excuse laziness, and bad habits... after cutting me off, he slowly meandered down the road.. no code 3, no sense of urgency.. i see that as an act of self entitlement,
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Yes, that definitely would be the case, there is absolutely no other answer. Or.... couldn't it possibly be that there was a call requesting cover that was cancelled just as he complete the U-Turn.

Not saying it wasn't just laziness or abuse of power, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

If it so outraged you, complain.

and,,, in regards to "shouldn't be doing u-turns ANYWHERE", there are locations at which a u-turn, or reverse turn, can be executed in complete compliance with the law. It would depend on the town/city and the location there-in.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

my5cents wrote: May 18th, 2023, 8:58 am Yes, that definitely would be the case, there is absolutely no other answer. Or.... couldn't it possibly be that there was a call requesting cover that was cancelled just as he complete the U-Turn.

Not saying it wasn't just laziness or abuse of power, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

If it so outraged you, complain.

and,,, in regards to "shouldn't be doing u-turns ANYWHERE", there are locations at which a u-turn, or reverse turn, can be executed in complete compliance with the law. It would depend on the town/city and the location there-in.
agreed , but none off the shoulder... and if it was a response, it would , or should have been code 3.. never said i was outraged.. that is your wording.. just pointing out that even the cops are not following good safety practices ..
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mullyman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:00 pm agreed , but none off the shoulder... and if it was a response, it would , or should have been code 3.. never said i was outraged.. that is your wording.. just pointing out that even the cops are not following good safety practices ..
Just pointing out that we don't know why he u-turned.

Depending on the Municipality, not in a business district not mid block, not at an intersection with traffic control, not in a school zone, not near the crest of a hill, not if it necessitates backing, or leaving the driving surface. Some restricted by the MVA some by local by-laws.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

my5cents wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:23 pm
mullyman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 2:00 pm agreed , but none off the shoulder... and if it was a response, it would , or should have been code 3.. never said i was outraged.. that is your wording.. just pointing out that even the cops are not following good safety practices ..
Just pointing out that we don't know why he u-turned.

Depending on the Municipality, not in a business district not mid block, not at an intersection with traffic control, not in a school zone, not near the crest of a hill, not if it necessitates backing, or leaving the driving surface. Some restricted by the MVA some by local by-laws.
i don't CARE why he u-turned.. it was not safe to do so, and he would have been better served by pulling in a driveway, and backing out.. Every year a handful of motorcyclists DIE in this province due to those actions, and he should be setting an example... one thing to uturn on the roadway, but off the shoulder ,, the most dangerous!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mullyman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 3:43 pm i don't CARE why he u-turned.. it was not safe to do so, and he would have been better served by pulling in a driveway, and backing out.. Every year a handful of motorcyclists DIE in this province due to those actions, and he should be setting an example... one thing to uturn on the roadway, but off the shoulder ,, the most dangerous!
Police vehicles are operated contrary to the rules that non-police vehicles must follow on a regular basis.

As I said, we don't know if a call came in for which the officer executed the u-turn to respond to, and then, perhaps another unit, announced they were closer and the u-turning office resumed his normal duties after making the turn, we don't know.

Executing a u-turn by backing is more dangerous than a semi-circle u-turn. Police very frequently u-turn, it's part of conducting police work.

Unlike a normal citizen, a police officer can't always execute vehicle maneuvers at the most opportune locations, it's the nature of the job. If I realize I've forgotten something at home after heading out, I can go around the block, if a police officer is alerted to a need for them to attend a location and the quickest way is a u-turn, or if a suspect vehicle/violator passes in the opposite direction, they aren't going to go around the block.

To conduct police work at times there is a requirement to use the provision of section Sec 122(1). If there is no urgency and a police officer is on normal routine patrol they are not likely to use 122(1), they are just driving around, so my money is on a cancelled call or a change in urgency.

As for police "should be setting an example" ? are you saying police shouldn't use the provisions of Sec 122(1) ? ever ?? That doesn't make sense, does it ?

:topic:
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

my5cents wrote: May 19th, 2023, 6:34 am
mullyman wrote: May 18th, 2023, 3:43 pm i don't CARE why he u-turned.. it was not safe to do so, and he would have been better served by pulling in a driveway, and backing out.. Every year a handful of motorcyclists DIE in this province due to those actions, and he should be setting an example... one thing to uturn on the roadway, but off the shoulder ,, the most dangerous!
Police vehicles are operated contrary to the rules that non-police vehicles must follow on a regular basis.

As I said, we don't know if a call came in for which the officer executed the u-turn to respond to, and then, perhaps another unit, announced they were closer and the u-turning office resumed his normal duties after making the turn, we don't know.

Executing a u-turn by backing is more dangerous than a semi-circle u-turn. Police very frequently u-turn, it's part of conducting police work.

Unlike a normal citizen, a police officer can't always execute vehicle maneuvers at the most opportune locations, it's the nature of the job. If I realize I've forgotten something at home after heading out, I can go around the block, if a police officer is alerted to a need for them to attend a location and the quickest way is a u-turn, or if a suspect vehicle/violator passes in the opposite direction, they aren't going to go around the block.

To conduct police work at times there is a requirement to use the provision of section Sec 122(1). If there is no urgency and a police officer is on normal routine patrol they are not likely to use 122(1), they are just driving around, so my money is on a cancelled call or a change in urgency.

As for police "should be setting an example" ? are you saying police shouldn't use the provisions of Sec 122(1) ? ever ?? That doesn't make sense, does it ?

:topic:
Of course, you are right..you are always right... except you werent there..Lights before performing an UNSAFE manuever alerts others..a well trained officer KNOWS that...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I tend to keep both Ambulances & Police cruisers on my be prepared for anything list, because :cuss: happens in a blink of an eye.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

GordonH wrote: May 19th, 2023, 7:14 am I tend to keep both Ambulances & Police cruisers on my be prepared for anything list, because :cuss: happens in a blink of an eye.
agreed .. as a rider , everyone is on that list!

Return to “B.C.”