Another Olympics for BC?

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Another Olympics for BC?

Post by bob vernon »

Vancouver city council is considering bidding on another Olympic games, for 2030. Vancouver and Whistler hosted the 2010 Olympic games and they were presented to the public as a wealth generator but in fact they were just a slush fund for the wealthy to line their pockets with millions.

Most of the purchases for the 2010 games were not done through a tendering process. Instead the supply of timing devices, clothing, computers, office furniture, and even buses was done through the simple awarding the contracts to companies that were located outside Canada and had mysterious names. No tracking of money by Canadian auditors was possible and these mysterious companies were likely owned by games insiders. At the conclusion of the games, huge amounts of the goods that were purchases just disappeared and were liquidated. Again, no tracing of where the money went.

Buses showed up from as far away as Florida to transport teams and fans to Whistler and around Vancouver. Without anti-freeze and winter tires. Guess who paid for the tires? Of course the Vancouver Olympic committee did from the bottomless pit of money that we gave them.

The Olympic Games are just a scam to funnel money into the pockets of the insiders.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Another Olympics for BC?

Post by OKkayak »

bob vernon wrote:The Olympic Games are just a scam to funnel money into the pockets of the insiders.

And a great tool to boost the economy through and increase in tourism in the following years which benefits business owners and communities.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

If there is no virus getting passed around then i got no problems with it .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Another winter games only if Gordon Campbell will jump around like a crazed Chimpanzee with red mittens. [icon_lol2.gif]
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

indianlarry66 wrote:If there is no virus getting passed around then i got no problems with it .

There will always be a virus being passed around, today, tomorrow and until the end of time.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

OKkayak wrote:
bob vernon wrote:The Olympic Games are just a scam to funnel money into the pockets of the insiders.

And a great tool to boost the economy through and increase in tourism in the following years which benefits business owners and communities.

Great. Corruption as a way to boost tourism.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Big waste of money!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Why? Vancouver is already in the red.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

This kind of talk shouldn't even be on the table right now..........although it would fall under "corruption", something B.C. politics excels at.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

bob vernon wrote:Great. Corruption as a way to boost tourism.

Pretty sure the business owner who's cash register is full thanks to a boost in tourism doesn't give a rat's *bleep* about "corruption".
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

OKkayak wrote:

It didn't benefit me one cent. All it did was increase taxes. Has the last one been paid off yet? Remember, the Trudeau Carbon Tax, meant to enable him to control world climate, is a complete failure. There will be little snow in a few years, so there is no point in wasting a few billion on nothing. Trudeau and Horgan are already good at that. They are proposing to use facilities in other cities and Provinces. How amazingly stupid.
ninetyninepct
Fledgling

Post by ninetyninepct »

Imagine all the thousands of tons of CO2 and greenhouse gasses that would be spewed into the air by contestants and tourists comin from all over the world. The Vancouver mayor is a climate fascist, so why would he even consider such a polluting idea. Hypocrite much? Expect Trudeau to put a stop to this stupid idea.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

It will be curious to see how many of the athletes are going to be willing to go to Beijing in 2022 for Winter Olympics.
impo the rest of the world should boycott 2022, simply because of current health problem facing each country.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bumped up

If this somehow happens maybe don’t rely on lower mainland mountains to have enough snow. Maybe combination of interior mountains. i.e Revelstoke for downhill and somewhere else for remainder.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/331201 ... ng-Furlong

Poll was set up
https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3312 ... -Olympics-
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The same bunch of guys who scammed us in 2010 are back for another bite. There were many contracts for goods and services that were NOT awarded to Canadian companies and weren't even tendered in 2010. The organizers just said one day that they had awarded all the contracts to numbered, offshore companies without a bidding process. Canadian bus companies were even snubbed with buses coming from as far away as Florida to work the Olympics. Who profited? We don't know.

Nobody knows to this day who owned the companies that grabbed all the contracts. And now we're inviting them back?

Return to “B.C.”