Tenant Refuses to Move After House Sold

lcpp64
Board Meister

Re: Tenant Refuses to Move After House Sold

Post by lcpp64 »

Bsuds wrote:
TylerM4 wrote: A system that forces rent to decrease with the value of the property as well as increase. Everywhere else in the rental industry (including equipment, vehicle, etc.) the cost of rent is directly tied to the value of the property being rented. Should be the same here.
I disagree, just because the value of a property increases does not mean the cost to the landlord has gone up.

There are many other factors rather than just value so you can't just use that.
True;

Neither will the landlord.

One way of valuing commercial real estate is by the “capitalization rate”.

In residential property, if the rents being collected do not earn a great enough return, then a prudent landlord will just sell the property.

Crappy tenants & “the Agony Factor” weigh in on this decision.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote:
I disagree, just because the value of a property increases does not mean the cost to the landlord has gone up.

So I guess this is just a fundamental difference in opinion.

You look at rental housing as a social commitment, I look at it like a business venture. Landlords aren't in it for the praise, they're in it for the money. Often to help pay for the home.

Do you believe the same should apply to all business ventures? Companies should only be allowed to raise the price of the product if the cost to make the product increases? If not, why do you think it should apply here? Why are landlords obligated to fund social assistance programs out of their own wallet when no other business is?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

So long as we all understand clearly that ** and **are justifying ILLEGAL activity by landlords they support . . . and otherwise, housing will also be a different if not unique investment option than most others. And it has a strong regulatory environment. If an investor goes into rental while planning to ignore the law, for the most part they'll entertain endless trouble. I learn from my banking officer that every investment has different risks/rewards and returns. Make sure your eyes are WIDE open and take the full intellectual assessment to the culture and law of renting a premises to a fellow human being as his/hers their home.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jan 27th, 2021, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal. Discuss topic, not fellow posters. Thanks
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

occasional thoughts wrote:So long as we all understand clearly that ** and **are justifying ILLEGAL activity by landlords they support . . . and otherwise, housing will also be a different if not unique investment option than most others. And it has a strong regulatory environment. If an investor goes into rental while planning to ignore the law, for the most part they'll entertain endless trouble. I learn from my banking officer that every investment has different risks/rewards and returns. Make sure your eyes are WIDE open and take the full intellectual assessment to the culture and law of renting a premises to a fellow human being as his/hers their home.
Not justifying it, I'm explaining why it happens.

Fully agree with you about the risks, etc. That was exactly my initial point. "The risks are too high for the reward, that's why rental housing is so sparse, and it's why so many landlords don't follow the rules - many remaining landlords are not accepting the risks." You're really just reinforcing that message with a response of "Don't like the risks, don't do it"

Also something to consider - it's not just about investing money. For many it's the only way they can afford to buy a home in the 1st place. They don't have the opportunity to invest the money a different way.

Any finally - I encourage everyone to think outside of legal and illegal. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it morally wrong. Follow your own moral compass, not one that the government provides for you. Arguing against something simply because it's illegal is an incredibly weak argument. To have a meaningful debate we should argue using the reasons for why it was made illegal - the fact that it's legal or illegal has no impact on whether it's right or wrong. There are many situations where breaking the law is the right thing to do.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

^^^^^^^ Well put! I’ve really lost faith in our government. Pretty much everything gov gets involved in turns to poo. I’m pretty sure we all know how some of our “leaders” ethics play out. And then we let them make the “rules”. Laws for thee but not for me!
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
Bhupinder Bhatti

Post by Bhupinder Bhatti »

TylerM4 wrote:
occasional thoughts wrote:So long as we all understand clearly that ** and **are justifying ILLEGAL activity by landlords they support . . . and otherwise, housing will also be a different if not unique investment option than most others. And it has a strong regulatory environment. If an investor goes into rental while planning to ignore the law, for the most part they'll entertain endless trouble. I learn from my banking officer that every investment has different risks/rewards and returns. Make sure your eyes are WIDE open and take the full intellectual assessment to the culture and law of renting a premises to a fellow human being as his/hers their home.
Not justifying it, I'm explaining why it happens.

Fully agree with you about the risks, etc. That was exactly my initial point. "The risks are too high for the reward, that's why rental housing is so sparse, and it's why so many landlords don't follow the rules - many remaining landlords are not accepting the risks." You're really just reinforcing that message with a response of "Don't like the risks, don't do it"

Also something to consider - it's not just about investing money. For many it's the only way they can afford to buy a home in the 1st place. They don't have the opportunity to invest the money a different way.

Any finally - I encourage everyone to think outside of legal and illegal. Just because something is illegal doesn't make it morally wrong. Follow your own moral compass, not one that the government provides for you. Arguing against something simply because it's illegal is an incredibly weak argument. To have a meaningful debate we should argue using the reasons for why it was made illegal - the fact that it's legal or illegal has no impact on whether it's right or wrong. There are many situations where breaking the law is the right thing to do.
Yes, I totally agree with you that we should argue using the reasons for why it was made illegal. If the age does not perform his or her duties as necessary for the buyer or seller, he or she may face a lawsuit for negligence. It is important to perform these tasks with all care and ensure that no issue goes unnoticed
Bhupinder Bhatti

Post by Bhupinder Bhatti »

Bsuds wrote:
TylerM4 wrote: A system that forces rent to decrease with the value of the property as well as increase. Everywhere else in the rental industry (including equipment, vehicle, etc.) the cost of rent is directly tied to the value of the property being rented. Should be the same here.

Yes, I also agree with you. The ability of a landlord to raise rents depends on whether the province or territory has rent controls in place: either the amount of the increase is controlled by the government, or there is no limit on the amount that the rent can be increased. In provinces that have rent control laws, the rent can only be increased by a percentage amount that the provincial government sets. In provinces where there are no rent controls, landlords can increase the rent by whatever amount they determine is appropriate.

Return to “B.C.”