Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

TheBanHammer

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by TheBanHammer »

butcher99 wrote: Dec 1st, 2021, 9:40 pm
Boosted632 wrote: Dec 1st, 2021, 12:15 pm

Yaaa I bet you used every one of those sick days to lol
Why would I? If you took the time to read what I posted, we negotiated that after a maximum of 90 hours we got paid out the hours over 90 up t0 6 every January instead of just accumulating them. It was a few years before I quit that that came in so I cashed out about 150 sick days as well when I quit. When I quit i got paid out 6 weeks holidays and close to four weeks sick pay.
We also worked a 36 hour work week but got paid for 40. Every week we accumulated 4 hours time off up to a max of 16 or minus hours that was scheduled at managements convenience. So there was a 32 hour lee way there. We could owe the company 16 hours or they could owe us 16 hours time off maximum.
Those are things a good union team can get you.
Oh ya, and the pension. $55. per month per year of service. The pension sits at over 90% fully funded right now.

Who needs a union? You do.
Well you seem to have worked for the right union. I have worked for 3 different unions the last one for 24 years. I agree some aspects were excellent, I had a pension, 100% medical and dental, LTD, 10% holiday pay and job protection. The last item I did not require. During those years the union made it possible for people who for all intents and purposes would be deemed unemployable to keep a job. This is just some employees let me be clear, however these employees were quite literally pylons that you had to walk around. During cold season we regularly ran the plant with 40% of staff absent, not because they were sick rather because one person went home sick and then they jumped on the sick band wagon. Workers comp is there for injured workers yet we had massive amounts fraudulent claims. For instance one fella missed six weeks for shooting his finger with a stapler. This was totally a superficial wound but he hammed it up. I stapled my arm to a sheet of OSB when I slipped on the ladder. I had the staple removed and was back to work 20 minutes later. The staple went through my wrist and pinned a tendon and you could not see the crown of the staple it was so deep. My point is this was a union shop where some people abused every aspect of the contract. The company had to adopt a 3 times and your out policy after lengthy negotiation with the union. Between 5 and 10 thousand dollars worth of tools walked out the door every 3 months as well. So while you seem to have had a great experience it is not the same for every union shop. I had no problems to speak of at that job personally but it does not make for pleasant conditions having to carry slackers who are getting paid the same money that you are working your butt off. I don't miss the place at all. I am non union now make twice as much and have great benefits, but I started with none at lower pay. You would be surprised what some business owners are willing to give those who work for it. Nowadays people show up do their mandatory duties and nothing else. If one doesn't do extra why should they be paid extra.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

TheBanHammer wrote: Jan 22nd, 2022, 6:27 am

Well you seem to have worked for the right union. I have worked for 3 different unions the last one for 24 years. I agree some aspects were excellent, I had a pension, 100% medical and dental, LTD, 10% holiday pay and job protection. The last item I did not require. During those years the union made it possible for people who for all intents and purposes would be deemed unemployable to keep a job. This is just some employees let me be clear, however these employees were quite literally pylons that you had to walk around. During cold season we regularly ran the plant with 40% of staff absent, not because they were sick rather because one person went home sick and then they jumped on the sick band wagon. Workers comp is there for injured workers yet we had massive amounts fraudulent claims. For instance one fella missed six weeks for shooting his finger with a stapler. This was totally a superficial wound but he hammed it up. I stapled my arm to a sheet of OSB when I slipped on the ladder. I had the staple removed and was back to work 20 minutes later. The staple went through my wrist and pinned a tendon and you could not see the crown of the staple it was so deep. My point is this was a union shop where some people abused every aspect of the contract. The company had to adopt a 3 times and your out policy after lengthy negotiation with the union. Between 5 and 10 thousand dollars worth of tools walked out the door every 3 months as well. So while you seem to have had a great experience it is not the same for every union shop. I had no problems to speak of at that job personally but it does not make for pleasant conditions having to carry slackers who are getting paid the same money that you are working your butt off. I don't miss the place at all. I am non union now make twice as much and have great benefits, but I started with none at lower pay. You would be surprised what some business owners are willing to give those who work for it. Nowadays people show up do their mandatory duties and nothing else. If one doesn't do extra why should they be paid extra.
There are slackers in no union jobs just as there are slackers in union jobs. An employer cannot just fire someone. They need just cause. Of course non-union employers do fire without cause but they just hope that the employee does not come back and sue them.
As to the guy with the finger, some people are just good at working the system. I bet he bragged about to all his buddies as well. Union or no union he was off for as long as he could string it out. And it cost the employer next to nothing as workers comp would have paid.
If he managed to string it out to 6 weeks blame his doctor and workers comp.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

TheBanHammer wrote: Jan 22nd, 2022, 6:01 am
nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:36 pm

Maybe its high time that small businesses find a new way to support themselves and not sustain themselves off of the Liberal party subsidies. Just pass the costs to the consumers and not off of hard-working people's backs.
What??? Every small business owner I know has started with what they have managed to save for years and a bank loan and do not have any government subsidy.
The last few years I have worked with some of the laziest people I have ever met and the attitude that just showing up should get them high praise and top wages. Unless you are someone employing people and providing all the things you believe they should receive, all you contribute is an opinion which requires no risk, no capital, no guts and no effort.
Being a newbie here, you may not be too familiar with this canuck guy.
But a little search will tell you all you need to know, a little left of the NDP.

Small business. :thumbsdown:
Boomers. :thumbsdown:
Volunteers. Nothing but commies.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
TheBanHammer

Post by TheBanHammer »

butcher99 wrote: Jan 22nd, 2022, 8:17 am
TheBanHammer wrote: Jan 22nd, 2022, 6:27 am

There are slackers in no union jobs just as there are slackers in union jobs. An employer cannot just fire someone. They need just cause. Of course non-union employers do fire without cause but they just hope that the employee does not come back and sue them.
As to the guy with the finger, some people are just good at working the system. I bet he bragged about to all his buddies as well. Union or no union he was off for as long as he could string it out. And it cost the employer next to nothing as workers comp would have paid.
If he managed to string it out to 6 weeks blame his doctor and workers comp.
Cost the company nothing lololol we had the worst compo rate in BC and it cost the company half a mil in premiums.

Return to “B.C.”