Royal BC museum to change history

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Royal BC museum to change history

Post by Glacier »

The Chilcotin and Shuswap used to be mortal enemies. In one particularly brutal encounter, the Chilcotin warriors had the Shuswap warriors cornered at the top of a cliff, and they drove them off to their deaths.

My mom ask her First Nation neighbor his thoughts on residential school, and he said it was overall positive because he made friends with Shuswap whom he had grew up hating at home.

Not only can these stories not be told in a museum but they cannot even be expressed anywhere in public because it goes against the narrative that 100% of First Nation children who went to residential school had a bad experience, and that there was peace and love until the white man came and colonized the land and people.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
foenix
Guru

Re: Royal BC museum to change history

Post by foenix »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 7th, 2021, 7:54 am
techrtr wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 6:21 pm What a complete joke. From what I understand, one of the key players was hired on a six month contract. He had absolutely no museum experience of History background and did a terrible job. He didn't know what he was doing and after six months his contract wasn't renewed. Then he started making allegations that management at the Provincial Museum was racist. Now, exhibits are being closed down, artifacts and archival materials are being removed, probably never to be seen again.
The museum is the subject of a months-long investigation after the former head of the Indigenous collections and repatriation department resigned in July, citing a culture of racism and discrimination.

In a July 24 farewell speech, Lucy Bell, a member of the Haida Nation, called out colleagues and executives, listing examples of racist comments directed at her during her time at the museum. She said her experience reflected both systemic racism and racism at an individual level.

“It’s also outright discrimination, white privilege, bullying and micro-aggressions happening here, that happen every day,” she wrote in her speech.

Bell said news of Lohman’s resignation was bittersweet.

“I am sad that it had to come to this. I watched the RBCM board being cautious and thoughtful, and I know they have taken my concerns seriously and that their recent decisions must have been hard to make. I hope to see more positive changes in the museum and heritage field,” she said in an email.
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... pping-down

Similar thing happened at the Human Rights Museum in Winnipeg in 2020:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba ... -1.5674468

Is there "systemic racism" in Canadian museums? I don't know, just asking the question.
Apparently there is as an independent audit was conducted by BC Public Service Agency.
A 33-page report released in June from an independent investigation by the B.C. Public Service Agency found acts of racism and discrimination against Indigenous team members and other people of colour. It also said the museum's core galleries, particularly human history exhibits, are outdated, some displays are offensive and they reinforce the colonial history of the province.

Return to “B.C.”