Highway closures report and peoples need for assistance

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Highway closures report and peoples need for assistance

Post by I Think »

Suggest a list of Highway closures and openings as they happen, and notes for people stuck or evacuated who need accommodation or other help. Kinda like the fire watch threads.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Highway closures report and peoples need for assistance

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

These highway closures are going to have an almost immediate impact on many businesses.
With pretty well all routes between the interior and the Lower Mainland, nothing is moving by truck, and from the looks of the CPR mainline in Kamloops, it appears their trains may not be moving either. I don't know about the CNR.

Some businesses impacted real quick are restaurants, and there are two I know of in Kamloops that are almost out of food. It didn't help that the city was deluged with evacuees from Merritt.

I know one of these restaurants gets their food from Kelowna, but that in turn comes from Vancouver.

***For those living in town, maybe best to eat at home so the evacuees can eat out.***

Also, one of the Save-On stores here was pretty well out of produce and the Costco had a huge line-up.

Looks like an interesting week.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

That is a stupid idea - just use Drive BC. No sense having 8 million pages to update. one page, one update - done.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

gman313 wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 4:14 pm That is a stupid idea - just use Drive BC. No sense having 8 million pages to update. one page, one update - done.
Drive BC has crashed a couple of times. Probably more people on it than on the highways.

As well, this was suggested by the OP ...and notes for people stuck or evacuated who need accommodation or other help. Kinda like the fire watch threads.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

gman313 wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 4:14 pm That is a stupid idea - just use Drive BC. No sense having 8 million pages to update. one page, one update - done.
if you don't have anything nice to say...
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

At this point, the question is which route is the least damaged? We know the Coquihalla and Fraser Canyon have had total washouts.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Then don't open the thread - done.

Curious as to what they'll be doing for repairs and how long it will take, seeing that the winter season being here.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Any word on hwy 33 Kelowna to Rock Creek?
Last edited by I Think on Nov 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Highway 20 washed out in 12 spots in 2010. It only took 17 days to fix everything to a drivable state. Some sections didn't get repaved until later, however.

So it won't really take that long to fix everything. We could see a couple weeks, plus or minus depending on the severity of the damage.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Glace there are houses up to the window sills in water, the roads may be opened but it is gonna take time to get the people back in their homes.
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

And trans mountain pipeline shut down.
Hope Vancouver has lots of fuel in tanks
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Glacier wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 5:23 pm Highway 20 washed out in 12 spots in 2010. It only took 17 days to fix everything to a drivable state. Some sections didn't get repaved until later, however.

So it won't really take that long to fix everything. We could see a couple weeks, plus or minus depending on the severity of the damage.
Did you see the pictures of the footings and pilings exposed on the rail line.
Going to take a Long time to fix that.
Let alone the highway that is gone beside it.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

As I have said in the weather thread Hwy 5 will be down for a very long time. Entire bridge washout and both southbound lanes gone near Othello. Ground saturation is crazy. Tank hill with the rail line over top will be a long repair. Machinery and contractors as well as workers are in short supply. You cant even access the sites because of road closures en route. Then there will be the enviro freaks protesting aggregate pits that will be needed to repair stuff. Months I say.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

featfan wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 6:26 pm And trans mountain pipeline shut down.
As well as the CPR mainline. Lots of diesel moves on it into Vancouver.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bb49 wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 8:24 pm
featfan wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 6:26 pm And trans mountain pipeline shut down.
As well as the CPR mainline. Lots of diesel moves on it into Vancouver.
CPR line is shut down due to derailment.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/351691 ... th-of-Yale
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”