Gas Restrictions on the Coast

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Gas Restrictions on the Coast

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/352131 ... ial-travel

BC government restricts gas purchases on Coast, limits some highway travel to 'essential' travel

The gasoline order will limit the general public to 30 litres of gasoline per visit
I can hear the F150 owners screaming. :biggrin:

But let's have a closer look at this as it's due to the TMX being shut down.

The plan for the TMX is to put in a second and larger line for transporting crude for export.
After it is complete, the next plan is to twin it, in other words replace the current line with a larger line with the product in it for domestic use.
I. E., those on the coast and no doubt some will go south to the Washington state refineries.

Where will this leave the eco-nuts who want to shut down this line?
I suspect they will lose a lot of support with people knowing that their livelihoods depend on the TMX twinning.

As some have said, Git 'er done!
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
PoplarSoul
Guru

Re: Gas Restrictions on the Coast

Post by PoplarSoul »

bb49 wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm Where will this leave the eco-nuts who want to shut down this line?
What is/are eco-nuts?
Economy nuts?
As in penny pinchers, scrooges?
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Making the F150 owners waste fuel by driving to 3 or 4 different stations to get filled up doesn't make much sense.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

PoplarSoul wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 4:42 pm
bb49 wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm Where will this leave the eco-nuts who want to shut down this line?
What is/are eco-nuts?
Economy nuts?
Give it a little thought, I'm sure it'll come to you.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

Kroynon wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 5:09 pm Making the F150 owners waste fuel by driving to 3 or 4 different stations to get filled up doesn't make much sense.
Why do F150's keep getting targeted?
Do you think any other half ton does any better?

But I agree. Doesn't make any sense to do multiple trips :135:
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

bb49 wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 5:23 pm
PoplarSoul wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 4:42 pm What is/are eco-nuts?
Economy nuts?
Give it a little thought, I'm sure it'll come to you.
It was a serious question.
I google first. I couldn't find anything.
I'm not familiar with abbreviations.
It actually annoys me sometimes. :D
Edit to add:
Ecosystems?
Usually it's enviro-nuts.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

2manyfords wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 5:28 pm
Kroynon wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 5:09 pm Making the F150 owners waste fuel by driving to 3 or 4 different stations to get filled up doesn't make much sense.
Why do F150's keep getting targeted?
Do you think any other half ton does any better?

But I agree. Doesn't make any sense to do multiple trips :135:
Just an example no offense to F150 owners. I do like my GMC though :130:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since the police won’t be enforcing fuel restrictions, chances are business as usual until stations can no longer have their tanks filled.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

It's been so bad here. We are on day 4 of gas stations being pumped dry by hoarders. Reports of people filling up 10+ jerry cans of gas and people spending over $1000 at the gas station. It has been causing traffic jams so bad police have to come in to control the traffic and crowds.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Nov 19th, 2021, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

WeatherWoman wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 6:39 pm It's been so bad here. You are on day 4 of gas stations being pumped dry by hoarders. Reports of people filling up 10+ jerry cans of gas and people spending over $1000 at the gas station. It has been causing traffic jams so bad police have to come in to control the traffic and crowds.
Sure, but what about the line ups at the EV charging stations? Why isn't anyone talking about that? We all know the weakness with electric vehicles. What do you do after a major storm hits.

Well, what are they doing? Inquiring minds want to know.

:smt045
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

[/quote]

Sure, but what about the line ups at the EV charging stations? Why isn't anyone talking about that? We all know the weakness with electric vehicles. What do you do after a major storm hits.

Well, what are they doing? Inquiring minds want to know.

:smt045
[/quote]

We made it into Hope late Sunday night. No power anywhere but the Esso/Ricky's across from the Flying J. Everywhere else in Hope had no power until sometime late Monday. As far as I'm aware, no gas station ever ran out of fuel even once the power came back on and until highway 7 reopened. But what would electric vehicles do while the power was out for such an extended time?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

SuperMom wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 7:47 pm

We made it into Hope late Sunday night. No power anywhere but the Esso/Ricky's across from the Flying J. Everywhere else in Hope had no power until sometime late Monday. As far as I'm aware, no gas station ever ran out of fuel even once the power came back on and until highway 7 reopened. But what would electric vehicles do while the power was out for such an extended time?
Okay, so between Sunday night and late Monday, when the power was restored, how much power could you possibly need to do a few laps around Hope? The question was around the line ups at the EV charging station in the lower mainland. The gas restrictions are expected to last 10 to 11 days and motorists are restricted to 30 liters per day.

How much are the EV owners restricted in the next 10 to 11 days?
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Nov 19th, 2021, 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Drip_Torch wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 7:53 pm
SuperMom wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Okay, so between Sunday night and late Monday, when the power was restored, how much power could you possibly need to do a few laps around Hope?
That all depends what percentage EV had Sunday night.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

[/quote]

Okay, so between Sunday night and late Monday, when the power was restored, how much power could you possibly need to do a few laps around Hope?
[/quote]

No idea. Perhaps you can tell me what they'd need after spending hours on the highways to even get into Hope that night, no power through the night but sleeping in your car and no power through much of the next day?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

SuperMom wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 8:03 pm
No idea. Perhaps you can tell me what they'd need after spending hours on the highways to even get into Hope that night, no power through the night but sleeping in your car and no power through much of the next day?
Sitting on the hwy parked, an EV uses nothing. I realize some people believe idling to keep warm is essential, but an emergency blanket in the trunk accomplishes the same thing and is far more reliable.

I'm just challenging some of the conventional thinking around EV's. Look, I realize if we had waved a magic wand and changed every vehicle in BC to EV 10 years ago, that storm would have still hit and exposed the vulnerabilities in our infrastructure. The critical point I was trying to make is that EV owners aren't quite as exposed as we might have thought.

Return to “B.C.”