Time for BC to replace the RCMP ?

mikest2
Lord of the Board

Time for BC to replace the RCMP ?

Post by mikest2 »

I think the RCMP do a pretty good job.
I believe it's the the prosecutors and judges that need to start putting people away so that police have a chance to do something other than play doorman (person) at the revolving door.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/367400 ... ice#367400
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Time for BC to replace the RCMP ?

Post by Drip_Torch »

mikest2 wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 4:40 pm I think the RCMP do a pretty good job.
I believe it's the the prosecutors and judges that need to start putting people away so that police have a chance to do something other than play doorman (person) at the revolving door.

Oh, I think it should have started happening decades ago.

I agree, there are other problems in our justice system and the RCMP are (for the most part) top notch, but policing has grown far too complex for a super huge one size fits all corporation to handle. If you want to get right down into it, off the top of my head, I believe it's Volume II of the final commission report into Air India that first made the recommendation.

Basically, there are community policing concerns that are day to day and then there are larger societal policing concerns that have evolved beyond our current policing structure. The mobility within the RCMP creates gaps that leave both lacking. It's something that was brought up in Air India, Pickton, MMIWG and is somewhat apparent when you look at some of the alleged corruption around BCLC and the connection to VANRE.

Society has long past evolved beyond policing being a job for a beat cop. We have financial crimes and system vulnerabilities that require specialties that simply can't be funded, or even recognized, in every detachment. I think it's well past time to strengthen and dedicate our federal policing concerns to a focused federal RCMP force. Our day to day routine policing matters are likely better handled by people that have stronger ties in the communities they serve.

Regardless, I think it's likely going to happen anyways, given the recruitment challenges the RCMP have been struggling with for last 10 years. Bottom line, it's how our constitution is structured for public policing anyways. BC is responsible for public policing and contracts that out to the RCMP.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Apr 28th, 2022, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

I think its time to do regional police like in the states and then have a provincial police and then RCMP is National Police kinda like the FBI/Marshall service.

as for recruitment as the previous poster said...I think it will still be hard regardless if its local or RCMP forces.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Symbonite wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 5:49 pm I think its time to do regional police like in the states and then have a provincial police and then RCMP is National Police kinda like the FBI/Marshall service.

as for recruitment as the previous poster said...I think it will still be hard regardless if its local or RCMP forces.
I don't know about that. My teeth are getting a little longer, but I'm looking for a change. I love studying at the JI and if there was a job opening in my community (as there has been for many months now) and I wasn't taking a gamble on where I might have to work, I might even even sign up and do a decade or so.

I can't help but wonder how many other people are turned off of a policing career by the structure of the Policing contract in BC to the federal RCMP?

(I know Castanet forums wouldn't be the same, but Ferri and Triple could probably use the break.)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Ontario has OPP as well the RCMP, curious were $$$ going to come from.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Repeat offenders are a big problem and need to be dealt with!

Can't blame the RCMP for a court system that sucks!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Bsuds wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Yup, the RCMP, or any other police force are not the problem.

The problem is our courts.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
dscarson

Post by dscarson »

We started with provincial police 1858 to 1950 so it wouldn't be something new, maybe new to me but I don't think the RCMP do a bad job at all and if they were replaced by a provincial force then are we going to also replace judges and crown prosecutors and get tougher on crime because police alone can't solve the problems in our cities . I really don't think it would change anything for the better. It would be just another band aid on a *bleep*. As long as the courts are this lenient on people that choose to break the law then nothing will change.
Drive an EV, I need your gas.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The RCMP recently unionized. Yes unionized. And you know how that effects the productivity of any organization. Policemen are now more concerned about their perks than they are with containing lawbreakers. Pension, more holidays, medical, dental, eyeglasses (for the whole family, not just the officer) and on and on.

Sure we need a provincial police force, and one that isn't run by the leftist inmates.
dscarson

Post by dscarson »

Just about every municipal force is already unionized, and have been forever. RCMP are just now catching up to their counterparts in city forces an average of 30 per cent less they were paid until now. They deserve it.
Drive an EV, I need your gas.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

bob vernon wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 9:21 pm Policemen are now more concerned about their perks than they are with containing lawbreakers. Pension, more holidays, medical, dental, eyeglasses (for the whole family, not just the officer) and on and on.
God forbid people who risk their lives protecting us have dental care lol.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bb49 wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 8:49 pm
Bsuds wrote: Apr 28th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Yup, the RCMP, or any other police force are not the problem.

The problem is our courts.
The Canadian justice system needs to remove the revolving door justice.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

GordonH wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 12:28 am The Canadian justice system needs to remove the revolving door justice.
On BC Today, yesterday ( CBC 12-1:00) a UBC law professor was all for dealing with the root causes of this behavior: https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1- ... y-next-bmo

My tax dollars to keep these repeat offenders in jail is better spent and likely less than my insurance deductibles when my property gets stolen or vandalized.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland Labrador all have provincial policing. There are also city police forces involved. BC did look at provincial police prior to signing the last contact I think.
Effective April 1, 2012, British
Columbia signed a new 20-year Provincial Police Service Agreement (PPSA) with the Government of
Canada to contract the RCMP as British Columbia’s Provincial Police Service
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/law-c ... -app-g.pdf

Lot of variables to consider when the contract is up again.

An older thread:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29872
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

seewood wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 7:10 am
GordonH wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 12:28 am The Canadian justice system needs to remove the revolving door justice.
On BC Today, yesterday ( CBC 12-1:00) a UBC law professor was all for dealing with the root causes of this behavior: https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1- ... y-next-bmo

My tax dollars to keep these repeat offenders in jail is better spent and likely less than my insurance deductibles when my property gets stolen or vandalized.
Canadian justice system needs to be overhauled, as well some of the stuff Papa trudeau added to our Constitution also needs to be changed. So that the justice system can actually get justice for victims in this country.

Sonny trudeau isn’t about to do anything to improve justice to victims in this country.

Return to “B.C.”