Olympic bid.

gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Olympic bid.

Post by gertlush »

bb49 wrote: Jul 17th, 2022, 9:09 pm I like how the writer described the process as shabolic.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/column ... cial-risks
Vancouver council warned of Olympics' 'potentially unlimited financial risks'
Yikes, that article is quite alarming really.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Well that didn't last very long.
City council ignored the report by their staff regarding financing of the games and jumped in the canoe with the natives.

Afraid to upset the canoe.
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/B ... lympic-bid
Vancouver council OKs next step in 2030 Olympic bid

A few more billion will be added to our provincial debt.

Chump change. Right?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Hmmm, on 2nd thought Id like the museum instead.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gertlush wrote: Jul 20th, 2022, 3:55 pm Hmmm, on 2nd thought Id like the museum instead.
Neither myself... this province has huge issues that need to be addressed asap, flipping the bill for a rushed Olympic bid is pure insanity (this is were 4 billion price tag turns into 6 or 8 etc).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Civic Elections take place in most ( all?) municipalities in BC in October of this year. Seeing that the Provincial Government, ALL the taxpayers in BC, are being asked to foot the bill for these games why not just add the question to the ballots and find out if those expected to pay approve or not. The timing couldn’t be more opportune.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

These four Indian bands want to partner with the city of Vancouver to bid on the Winter Owe-limpics. So being partners are they putting in half the costs ? And I don't mean they "partner up" by asking the feds for cash.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

my5cents wrote: Jul 20th, 2022, 10:03 pm These four Indian bands want to partner with the city of Vancouver to bid on the Winter Owe-limpics. So being partners are they putting in half the costs ? And I don't mean they "partner up" by asking the feds for cash.
That is my question as well. Or are they in for "management" fees? Will it become a political platform?
I love sports and sporting events, however this $4 billion figure came from where?
Watching the news this am, the Vancouver mayor seems in favor, but I'd like to see a news story regarding the sidewalk tent city on Hastings street or where ever it is this week, just prior to any Olympic story.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

gertlush wrote: Jul 20th, 2022, 3:55 pm Hmmm, on 2nd thought Id like the museum instead.
:up: :up:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

I saw on TV that one of the chiefs stated that if they do not hold the games it will affect reconciliation. It is always about the money with any of the tribes.
Maybe they should tell us how they are going to pay, easy go the govt ATM and take out a withdrawal or they will kick us out off land that they cannot prove is theirs.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

tabubil wrote: Jul 21st, 2022, 10:38 am I saw on TV that one of the chiefs stated that if they do not hold the games it will affect reconciliation. It is always about the money with any of the tribes.
Maybe they should tell us how they are going to pay, easy go the govt ATM and take out a withdrawal or they will kick us out off land that they cannot prove is theirs.
That about sums it up.
Yup, we'll be paying.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

"Reconciliation" is nothing more than first nations speak for write a big check. :-X
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jul 21st, 2022, 1:53 pm "Reconciliation" is nothing more than first nations speak for write a big check. :-X
I really hope it doesnt become a trend. How much "more" do we have to pay back before we're all equals?
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Nedroj wrote: Jul 22nd, 2022, 12:02 pm
Urban Cowboy wrote: Jul 21st, 2022, 1:53 pm "Reconciliation" is nothing more than first nations speak for write a big check. :-X
I really hope it doesnt become a trend. How much "more" do we have to pay back before we're all equals?
As long as there's a federal government with a cheque book it will never end, given they don't have the stones to end it.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jul 22nd, 2022, 12:34 pm
Nedroj wrote: Jul 22nd, 2022, 12:02 pm

As long as there's a federal government with a cheque book it will never end, given they don't have the stones to end it.
And as long as our federal government has this definition in their glossary.
White Privilege
Benefitting from unearned power, advantages, access and/or opportunities based on being white or being perceived as white. White people are defined as belonging to any of the various peoples with light-coloured skin, usually of European origin. The term has become an indicator less of skin colour and more of an unquestioning acceptance of the legacies and ongoing practices of white supremacy and colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Id feel more comfortable spending $4 billion on housing or water for reserves. Im confused how the chiefs think sucking up to a bunch of euros for the the chance to hold their quadrennial display of white person sporting prowess advances reconciliation.

Return to “B.C.”