Illegal Smokes, Tax Too High

Sparki55
Guru

Illegal Smokes, Tax Too High

Post by Sparki55 »

So contraband cigarettes are "cutting into" BC government revenue. BC government has raised the tobacco tax by 44% in 4 years. People who smoke and can't afford the hike will look elsewhere, and people will fill in the gap illegally.

The government website likes to remind us:
A B.C. government website warns that buying and selling illegal tobacco is a crime that comes with fines of three times the tobacco tax, up to $50,000, two years imprisonment and forfeiture of the tobacco products and any licence to sell tobacco products that the seller may have.
So, if you like to smoke, yet can't afford the insane tax, the government will punish you further for your habit.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/390686 ... nt-revenue

Maybe it's time to leave well enough alone? Banning items doesn't work and overcharging and punishing anyone who finds a cheaper alternative with 2 years in jail and up to $50,000 fines is cruel.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Re: Illegal Smokes, Tax Too High

Post by mikest2 »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 14th, 2022, 6:52 pm So contraband cigarettes are "cutting into" BC government revenue. BC government has raised the tobacco tax by 44% in 4 years. People who smoke and can't afford the hike will look elsewhere, and people will fill in the gap illegally.

The government website likes to remind us:
A B.C. government website warns that buying and selling illegal tobacco is a crime that comes with fines of three times the tobacco tax, up to $50,000, two years imprisonment and forfeiture of the tobacco products and any licence to sell tobacco products that the seller may have.
So, if you like to smoke, yet can't afford the insane tax, the government will punish you further for your habit.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/390686 ... nt-revenue

Maybe it's time to leave well enough alone? Banning items doesn't work and overcharging and punishing anyone who finds a cheaper alternative with 2 years in jail and up to $50,000 fines is cruel.
It also creates and fuels a lucrative black market
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

People are going to smoke either by cigarettes or vaps, they will find the cheapest possible.

I say whatever it’s your lungs, enjoy.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I remember something similar happened a while back. I'm pretty sure prices were actually lowered because the black market had such a large chunk of the market. It seemed to work for awhile. Then prices creeped right back up. What does a pack of smokes cost these days?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

JLives wrote: Oct 14th, 2022, 8:10 pm I remember something similar happened a while back. I'm pretty sure prices were actually lowered because the black market had such a large chunk of the market. It seemed to work for awhile. Then prices creeped right back up. What does a pack of smokes cost these days?
$17
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

drove from the border through oliver etc, and saw a sign offering "legal" discounted smokes... what's the deall? i thought smokes bought on reserve were for members only (status)
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

JLives wrote: Oct 14th, 2022, 8:10 pm I remember something similar happened a while back. I'm pretty sure prices were actually lowered because the black market had such a large chunk of the market. It seemed to work for awhile. Then prices creeped right back up. What does a pack of smokes cost these days?
That's exactly what happened a few decades ago.

Government priced themselves out of the market and the black market took over. Much of it coming through native reserves in Quebec.

Some bureaucrats are forgetful.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

bb49 wrote: Oct 15th, 2022, 10:57 am
That's exactly what happened a few decades ago.

Government priced themselves out of the market and the black market took over. Much of it coming through native reserves in Quebec.

Some bureaucrats are forgetful.
It's exactly the same thing in the cannabis market. Price things too high and black market takes over.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 14th, 2022, 8:40 pm
$17
Ouch. 2 pack a day smokers will of course look for more economical options.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 14th, 2022, 6:52 pm So contraband cigarettes are "cutting into" BC government revenue. BC government has raised the tobacco tax by 44% in 4 years. People who smoke and can't afford the hike will look elsewhere, and people will fill in the gap illegally.
Only goes to prove that increased taxation never translates into tax revenues proportionally. It only fuels gray economy. And tobacco is not the only example.
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

The status cards are for off Reserve purchases. You can go on a Reserve and purchase. The smokes at those two little places by Gallagher Lake sell a carton of smokes from 45 - 55 a carton. Name brand are the more expensive ones. The only places in town of Oliver to buy a carton are the gas stations otherwise, no drug or grocery stores sell them. They do a screaming business at the 2 locations on the Reserve. Both the Canco gas stations up there also are owned by the same person. One is on Reserve with the Tim Hortons and across 97 to the north is not Reserve.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

DebSS wrote: Oct 18th, 2022, 10:14 am The status cards are for off Reserve purchases. You can go on a Reserve and purchase. The smokes at those two little places by Gallagher Lake sell a carton of smokes from 45 - 55 a carton. Name brand are the more expensive ones. The only places in town of Oliver to buy a carton are the gas stations otherwise, no drug or grocery stores sell them. They do a screaming business at the 2 locations on the Reserve. Both the Canco gas stations up there also are owned by the same person. One is on Reserve with the Tim Hortons and across 97 to the north is not Reserve.
Correct me if I am wrong, those smoke shops are for the Indiginous card carriers. They are not for me as I do not have a card. The same goes for fuel.

On this topic I found a full package of Du Maurier and was not going to start again. So on my way home stopped by Leon. A group of guys standing on the sidewalk. First thing out of the mouth of one was, want to buy some smokes? I asked how much? He stated $5.00 a pack. I then explained what I was up to. One of the fellows put his head down and said he could use them. I wished them a good day and off I went.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Ken7 wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 2:46 pm
DebSS wrote: Oct 18th, 2022, 10:14 am The status cards are for off Reserve purchases. You can go on a Reserve and purchase. The smokes at those two little places by Gallagher Lake sell a carton of smokes from 45 - 55 a carton. Name brand are the more expensive ones. The only places in town of Oliver to buy a carton are the gas stations otherwise, no drug or grocery stores sell them. They do a screaming business at the 2 locations on the Reserve. Both the Canco gas stations up there also are owned by the same person. One is on Reserve with the Tim Hortons and across 97 to the north is not Reserve.
Correct me if I am wrong, those smoke shops are for the Indiginous card carriers. They are not for me as I do not have a card. The same goes for fuel.

On this topic I found a full package of Du Maurier and was not going to start again. So on my way home stopped by Leon. A group of guys standing on the sidewalk. First thing out of the mouth of one was, want to buy some smokes? I asked how much? He stated $5.00 a pack. I then explained what I was up to. One of the fellows put his head down and said he could use them. I wished them a good day and off I went.
pretty much all the smokers i know buy their smokes off the indiginous at a great price,is that even legal, its like them catching their fish and selling it down the street to non natives
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

the truth wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 7:35 pm ... its like them catching their fish and selling it down the street to non natives
They have a trawler and a barge (for the catch) down on Osoyoos lake. Pretty much all that fish end up being sold illegally.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 8th, 2022, 7:25 pm
the truth wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 7:35 pm ... its like them catching their fish and selling it down the street to non natives
They have a trawler and a barge (for the catch) down on Osoyoos lake. Pretty much all that fish end up being sold illegally.
That gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing Trudeau is giving them $800 Million dollars for conservation!! Money well spent, maybe they will pay these guys to stay home!

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/c ... n-projects

Return to “B.C.”