Traffic Fines based on Income

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Traffic Fines based on Income

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/413792 ... nforcement
New West backs a new approach to BC traffic enforcement.

I like this idea.
A guy driving a beater, earning minimum wage, fined for speeding gets a $167 fine. Or whatever it is. This fine hurts.

A guy driving a half million dollar supercar, earning high six figures annually gets the same fine. This fine, meh, pocket change.

Should the province consider this?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Traffic Fines based on Income

Post by GordonH »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Mar 1st, 2023, 8:32 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/413792 ... nforcement

I like this idea.
A guy driving a beater, earning minimum wage, fined for speeding gets a $167 fine. Or whatever it is. This fine hurts.

A guy driving a half million dollar supercar, earning high six figures annually gets the same fine. This fine, meh, pocket change.

impo it would level the playing field, by causing those with very deep pockets to think twice before breaking traffic laws. Because if caught it will hurt their pocket book.

So yes the province should bring this in.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

We already have something akin to this with the icbc points system. Get more than 4 or 5 points in a year and you have to pay those points. Get too many points goodbye license.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

69cutlass wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 6:53 am We already have something akin to this with the icbc points system. Get more than 4 or 5 points in a year and you have to pay those points. Get too many points goodbye license.
I say add it as just another deterrent to traffic violations.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

GordonH wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 7:08 am
69cutlass wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 6:53 am We already have something akin to this with the icbc points system. Get more than 4 or 5 points in a year and you have to pay those points. Get too many points goodbye license.
I say add it as just another deterrent to traffic violations.
Then we need a major crackdown on left lane campers, of those unable to go with the flow or even the posted speed limit and all those too oblivious to everything around them.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

69cutlass wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 7:20 am Then we need a major crackdown on left lane campers, of those unable to go with the flow or even the posted speed limit and all those too oblivious to everything around them.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :130: :130: Gawd, its really bad on Vancouver Island.

The income based fine is being used in Europe : https://www.euronews.com/2023/01/04/fin ... e%20income.

In England:
The amount you’re fined depends on what the speed limit was and how much over it you were driving. It’s usually a percentage of your weekly income, up to a maximum of £1,000 (£2,500 if you were driving on a motorway).
I am not wealthy but I am rich
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

So, if you don't show any income, you get a free pass? Is that how it works? That means, every drug dealer, or a career criminal benefits from this ... :135:

Why are they penalizing their successful and law-abiding citizens? :200:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

BC Landlord wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 8:41 am So, if you don't show any income, you get a free pass? Is that how it works? That means, every drug dealer, or a career criminal benefits from this ... :135:

Not really disagreeing, just pointing out a flaw. If in line for a fine, one has not been
abiding by the law.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

For every 1 time someone is caught, they probably have done the same thing 200 times before.

Double or triple the fines and give a discount to those that have gone 20 years ticket/accident free.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

BC Landlord wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 8:41 am So, if you don't show any income, you get a free pass? Is that how it works? That means, every drug dealer, or a career criminal benefits from this ... :135:

:up: :up: :up:

How far do we take this? If a low income person commits murder, do they get a suspended sentence while a higher income person gets the electric chair?

Do the crime pay the time (fine). The danger to other drivers from traffic violations is in no way proportional to income of the offender.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

dirtybiker wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 9:23 am

Not really disagreeing, just pointing out a flaw. If in line for a fine, one has not been
abiding by the law.
You realize, there is a fundamental difference in between crime and traffic violations? You just can't compare a speeding ticket with dealing drugs.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

No, that's a different concept. That's the "frequent flyer program". The more violations the more it costs.

This is the more you earn the more it costs.

I think you missed the point a bit. A "successful" person would pay more, but they are paying for a ticket, doesn't that indicate they were not "law-abiding".

I have a different take on this. Why do people immediately go for a reduction of the fine for low income. I think the fines are... (wait for it) just fine.

I really don't support this type of system. If I'm well off, I already pay more for property tax (ownership fine), I already (at lease I should) pay more income tax.

Our justice system is intended to level the playing field between the wealthy and not so wealthy, with a lenient pre-trial release system, that unfortunately isn't calibrated to identify (or doesn't care about) the real bad guys.

We tried a system of points only. Everyone got a yearly freebie (2 or 3 points a year were free). Over those 2 or 3 points it began to cost. With ICBC current surcharge for points, we've got the "best" of both worlds, fines and surcharges.

Fines apparently work better than warnings. Hey, and what government doesn't like getting money ?

The only place the wealthy get a break is sales tax. No, not always, when they buy the luxury car or boat they pay through the nose, but if they are large earners, they don't spend a fair amount of their earnings, so it's not subject to sales tax. Whereas the low income earner spends 100% of their earnings so it's all subject to tax. Yes with the exception of certain items, like food.

I think if we are going to revamp the system we should look at those who have collisions. Police don't attend collisions unless they are real doozies. So you crash there is no cop investigating and giving you a ticket for the violation you committed that cause the crash. BUT if you commit a violation that MIGHT cause a collision, (on the rare occasion a cop is out doing his/her job) you get a ticket because the violation could have caused a collision. Does that make sense to anyone ??????

Now if we could figure out a way to tax/fine/charge the 18 year old driving daddy's Lotus.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
SAILINGONE
Board Meister

Post by SAILINGONE »

my5cents wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 12:17 pm
No, that's a different concept. That's the "frequent flyer program". The more violations the more it costs.

This is the more you earn the more it costs.

I think you missed the point a bit. A "successful" person would pay more, but they are paying for a ticket, doesn't that indicate they were not "law-abiding".

I have a different take on this. Why do people immediately go for a reduction of the fine for low income. I think the fines are... (wait for it) just fine.

I really don't support this type of system. If I'm well off, I already pay more for property tax (ownership fine), I already (at lease I should) pay more income tax.

Our justice system is intended to level the playing field between the wealthy and not so wealthy, with a lenient pre-trial release system, that unfortunately isn't calibrated to identify (or doesn't care about) the real bad guys.

We tried a system of points only. Everyone got a yearly freebie (2 or 3 points a year were free). Over those 2 or 3 points it began to cost. With ICBC current surcharge for points, we've got the "best" of both worlds, fines and surcharges.

Fines apparently work better than warnings. Hey, and what government doesn't like getting money ?

The only place the wealthy get a break is sales tax. No, not always, when they buy the luxury car or boat they pay through the nose, but if they are large earners, they don't spend a fair amount of their earnings, so it's not subject to sales tax. Whereas the low income earner spends 100% of their earnings so it's all subject to tax. Yes with the exception of certain items, like food.

I think if we are going to revamp the system we should look at those who have collisions. Police don't attend collisions unless they are real doozies. So you crash there is no cop investigating and giving you a ticket for the violation you committed that cause the crash. BUT if you commit a violation that MIGHT cause a collision, (on the rare occasion a cop is out doing his/her job) you get a ticket because the violation could have caused a collision. Does that make sense to anyone ??????

Now if we could figure out a way to tax/fine/charge the 18 year old driving daddy's Lotus.
Thank you and I agree. If you can't effort a fine, then fall in line.
Already enough "equality of outcome" bs.
We all desire a level playing field for availability of opportunity, but please it requires work and not entitlement to receive the fruits.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Mar 1st, 2023, 8:32 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/413792 ... nforcement

I like this idea.

A client, a super wealthy Asian guy from Kamloops was driving his Ferrari (or whatever it was) down to Vancouver a few years back. Somewhere around Hope he was pulled over for going 200km/h (or something really fast), so his car was immediately impounded. He simply phoned up the nearest dealer, and they sold and delivered him a new car so he could continue on his way. If he were poor this would have been a huge blow, and even potentially financially ruinous.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

my5cents wrote: Mar 2nd, 2023, 12:17 pm I think you missed the point a bit. A "successful" person would pay more, but they are paying for a ticket, doesn't that indicate they were not "law-abiding".
No, I have not missed anything. My point was, you are penalizing someone for a traffic violation, just because he/she reports big income, and at the same time rewarding a drug dealer or a career criminal for the same traffic offense, just because that person doesn't have a T4 (the nature of "business").

Where is the logic behind that?

Return to “B.C.”